How to Lose Weight: The Sleep Apnea Obstacle

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I have been researching sleep apnea a little as I have just been diagnosed, I used the Cpap machine for the first time last night, I can't pretend it was a noticeable improvement in my sleep but the trouble with sleep apnea is I am not really aware I'm experiencing it. Anyway, I was just surfing youtube and came across the below video which explains Weight gain associated with sleep apnea so I thought it may be relevant to some folks here that like me find it hard or impossible to lose weight.

I never realised sleep apnea could cause weight gain or prevent losing weight until five minutes ago.

I am putting a link below, I have no idea if I'm allowed to link a youtube video here? sorry if not but its seems pretty harmless.

If the link does not work here, the title of this thread is the title of the video.

Reactions: LaoDan

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Fenn
That was an interesting video and I would love to hear how you go with your machine. The take away I got from the video was that sleep apnea causes cortisol release at night, so am wondering if treating your sleep apnea will also improve your blood sugar levels?

My husband was diagnosed was borderline sleep apnea when we lived in Sydney but when we moved to New Zealand it went away (cleaner air, more exercise?), or at least he stopped snoring and no longer woke with a head ache so we assume it's gone.:)

Good luck with your machine.

Reactions: LaoDan and Fenn

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
It has been very surprising to me to read/watch and discover how sleep matters, obviously it matters but I’ve had what I call insomnia for further back than I can recall, the nurse said sleep apnea causes or worsens diabetes, heart disease, strokes and now weight gain, I have enjoyed all of these, was this due to lack of sleep? No idea but I was 20 years younger than everyone else in hospital lol, it will be interesting to see what happens.

The reason I posted here about it is, apparently most people don’t realize they have the condition, I know I didn’t and I’m considered a severe case, how many people’s health suffers from this silent gremlin I wonder.

Reactions: EllieM

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never had sleep apnoea, but I was in the habit of waking many times a night for many years. I know that was one of the factors that made me obese.

There's lots of silent gremlins out there. :(