1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How to make a good near zero carb coffee?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by millenium, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

I do understand, I do miss those creamers made by delight and coffeemate ;)

2. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Thanks.
    And presumably cream or milk are inconvenient because of heat and portability?

I found i was in a similar situation when I worked in an office. I ended up switching to herb tea simply because I couldn’t be bothered with the hassle of organising my milk or cream in a shared fridge...

If you wanted to make up your own mix, you could try instant coffee, milk powder, sweetener. Or powdered coconut cream.
    The trouble is, there are a lot of different variables, from brand of coffee, to type of sweetener...

• Like Like x 1
  3. millenium

millenium Carer · Well-Known Member

They find it too troublesome to have to add three ingredients seperately one by one. So someone invented a blended product that has all three ingredients single-servingly-packed. All u need to is to tear open one tube and mix in hot water. I do not see any difficulty in developing one that tastes good and is lower than 5.1g carb per serving. The only thing is that they do not see a market in such a product.

4. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Then there is all that stirring to be done, some people do have to endure the most terrible hardship. :)

5. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Mr Pot, I find your mockery inappropriate.

@millenium has previously posted that he has a relative in a situation where they have a number of challenges trying to persuade the carers there to assist his relative in complying with a lower carb way of eating.

I can empathise with his desire to make life simpler for both himself, the staff and his relative.

Millenium, I apologise if I have remembered your relative's situation wrongly, but I believe he is your father?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mr_Pot

None of that is mentioned in this thread, but if that is the case I address my remark to his father's carers, surely they must make their own tea or coffee using the three ingredient method?

7. JohnH2019

JohnH2019 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

First I gave up the sugar in coffee, then the milk or creamer powders in the office, and now my tastebuds really enjoy the wildly different flavours of different beans without any taste fillers. I grind it myself and use different means to brew, as they also impact the taste. I will very rarely now put plain heavy whipped cream in for some extra calories, but prefer the taste of coffee in a naked state. Even plain whipped cream now tastes sweet.

Have you tried different brewing methods and different beans?

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wimp!

Real men/women/small furry beings from Alpha Centauri have at least 100 ml of double cream in a strong coffee.:D

I don't think I've ever gone much over 150 ml in one cup, but give me time.
    This may explain why (including the big lump of butter) I can go a long time before needing to eat after my breakfast cup of Bullet Resistant Coffee. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  9. millenium

Believe it or not, the 3 in 1 is a legendary product in Asia market. The company that invented it became a listed company within a relatively short time. Currently, there are more than 10 brands making it including abig international food company. Each individual serving tube can cost around USD0.05 only. The good taste, convenience and cost made them very popular.

#29 millenium, Aug 28, 2019 at 9:48 PM
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  10. Mr_Pot

Were you asking for the benefit of your father's carers or your own consumption? The 3 in 1 is not available in the UK as far as I know. I haven't used any dry coffee creamer since I was a student and that was 50 years ago.

11. millenium

My father do not like the taste of the very low carb coffee I made using high grade instant coffee powder, evaporated milk and Stevia extract. But he like the zero sugar 3 in 1 coffee very much.

I ask to see if anyone know how to make a even lower carb one that taste like the 3 in 1. I suspect the difference could lie in the creamer in the formula. But the creamer could also be where the 5.1 carb is coming from.

12. millenium

I just bought a packet of coffeemate to do some experiments to formulate a good tasting lower carb instant coffee.

• Like Like x 2
  13. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I thought that I read that the formulation included glucose syrup as a sweetener?
    If so, zero sugar would be misleading.
    Also, the glucose syrup would probably taste better than any artificial sweetener.
    I know my taste buds react badly to artificial sweeteners.

• Hug Hug x 1
  14. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Here in the UK, the nutrition for coffeemate is listed as 57g carbs per 100g of product
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/258120071
    which they say works out at 3.8g per serving.

Of course you would need to check that the coffeemate sold in your country is of a similar carb content.

• Like Like x 1
  15. millenium

I just tried out mixing one serving of coffeemate, 2g of freezed dried coffee powder and stevia extract in hot water. The mixture do not taste good. So I guess I will have to stick to the zero sugar added 3 in 1 or rather 2 in 1.

16. SarahEN

SarahEN · Well-Known Member

Is access to coffee as limited in Singapore as it is in Malaysia? I remember 3in1 being prevalent there & imo it was not tasty!

Your best bet would be to test local brands of instant coffee out (with no sugar or creamer) until you find one that is palatable. It might require some extra effort as I remember struggling to find anything that wasn't 3in1.
    Failing that, your local Starbucks will sell their instant coffee - though from recollection its expensive.

17. millenium

So far my father and his bgl is happy with the coffee + creamer 2 in 1 sweetened with stevia. I plan to test out drip coffee next.

18. Hoping4Cure

Hoping4Cure Type 1 · BANNED

As a male, I try to avoid soy-based beverages (boosts estrogen levels which harms testosterone apparently), but I make my cappucino froth using a combination of coconut oil, cashew milk, and a teaspon of cocoa powder and it's terrific.

Tastes like a dessert! Lovely.

• Like Like x 2
  19. SarahEN

SarahEN · Well-Known Member

I think you'll find you can tolerate drip coffee without the sweetener, which i'm not a fan off tbh. Drip coffee tends to be less bitter anyway. Good luck with it all!

• Like Like x 1
  20. millenium

Your recipe seems very delicious. I will try that soon.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook