How to manage d2 when on a no carb diet and GP wants me on 3 different medication

Annina

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi advice please diagnosed in 2012 been on low carb since then has worked pretty well but now after a few infections my blood sugar is too high so now I find my self taking meta form in 30mg two tablets twice a day and linagliptin 5mg a day and Gliclazide 30mg a day. Go says if this does not work I will need to start injecting once a month ...
any thoughts greatly appreciated
Annina

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Do you still have an infection?

This can raise levels quite a bit, but they should come down after the infection has cleared.

If your diet was working well, then you should be able to return to it. Do you know your hba1c before the infections? Can you give us an idea on how your levels have changed.

Annina

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry meant GP and self injections once a week
Annina

Annina

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you still have an infection?

This can raise levels quite a bit, but they should come down after the infection has cleared.

If your diet was working well, then you should be able to return to it. Do you know your hba1c before the infections? Can you give us an idea on how your levels have changed.
No

Annina

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking back HbA1c levels have gradually gone up as I have been put on increasing amount of medication I am 65 with no other health issues

Annina

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Tophat for your reply made me look at the overall picture ...
Annina

Annina

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are you eating in a typical day?
Two coffees with cream in the morning no breakfast lunch eggs, sometimes bacon tomatoes and mushrooms sometimes nothing just coffee evenings meat fish salad or greens and Finncrisps 3.8 carbs in a slice love them 4-6 slices

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you check the carbs again please. I may be looking at the wrong product. I checked Tesco's site. The ones I saw were 61g per slice.

Reactions: Damtov8

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi advice please diagnosed in 2012 been on low carb since then has worked pretty well but now after a few infections my blood sugar is too high so now I find my self taking meta form in 30mg two tablets twice a day and linagliptin 5mg a day and Gliclazide 30mg a day. Go says if this does not work I will need to start injecting once a month ...
any thoughts greatly appreciated
Annina
My thoughts are that you are a type 2 diabetic with insulin resistance yet have been prescribed 2 drugs which will increase your insulin resistance because they encourage your body to make more of the stuff! Metformin works by reducing the amount of glucose that your liver releases so is generally regarded as useful if you can tolerate it.
The GP just wants to reduce your bgs but you know that low carb has worked in t he past but that now that you've hit a blip.
I'd ask the following:
Do I still have an infection (C Reactive Protein and IL6 in my blood?)
Am I still making insulin (C peptide)
If the latter test is positive (not making enough insulin of your own) then it makes sense to take insulin or insulin stimulating drugs (an illness can cause diabetes to develop in some cases).
If the latter is negative i.e. you are making insulin and you still have an infection then the aim of treatment should surely be to get on top of the infection then go back to reducing your insulin resistance via diet and exercise.
I am not a doc but have a read of Jason Fung THe Diabetes Code where he discusses the crazy focus on reducing blood sugars when the real goal of treatment should be to reduce both insulin levels and glucose levels in the body.
From your post I'd assume you'd rather not be on insulin or taking lots of pills hence my suggestions to ask loads of questions!
ps I'd agree with the inference that there could have been some slippage in your low carb approach so worth doubling down on that even if you are on bg lowering drugs though infection is a major cause of blood sugar rises.

Annina

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Checked again the Finn crisps definitely 3.8 grams per slice Waitrose stocks them too

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Checked again the Finn crisps definitely 3.8 grams per slice Waitrose stocks them too
Think it may be time to get a GAD test and c-peptide test done. Save for the Finn's, you're pretty low carb. Might be something else going on... Are you on statins or steroids for anything? Those can up levels dramatically too... (I know, "no other health issues"... Just checking all the same.)

Annina

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nicole thank you really good suggestions I have followed Jason Fung and the Swedish Diet Doctor and will read it again and you are absolutely right I do not want to be on medication as I feel I am not in control of my own health and the side effects are not good
Ann

Annina

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Think it may be time to get a GAD test and c-peptide test done. Save for the Finn's, you're pretty low carb. Might be something else going on... Are you on statins or steroids for anything? Those can up levels dramatically too... (I know, "no other health issues"... Just checking all the same.)
No statins always refused them and I weigh 54kilos

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you everyone will request those tests and take it from there so grateful for your help !!!
Annina
You will probably have to explain why exactly you think they should be done though, as they are not done by default for most and some doctors don't seem to like ordering them (from what I've gathered by looking at various threads on these forums)