How to test the glycemic load of foods with a glucometer?

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My wife and I do not have diabetes but we would like to give our diets a checkup to make sure the things we eat a lot are not putting a big glycemic load on our bodies that could affect us down the road after years of eating this way. We have borrowed a glucometer (model shown below) to test some of the foods we eat every day to see how different meals affect blood sugar and therefore how much insulin they are requiring to bring it back down.

We try to eat healthy but there are some meals where the amounts have me curious what the load is. Especially for things I eat every day. For example :
often twice a day
120grams whole rolled porridge oats (eaten cold, not cooked)
15g raisins
400ml almond milk unsweetened (no sugar/sweetener at all)

Questions

1) How long after eating should we wait to test the peak blood sugar? (before insulin has a chance to drop it down)
2) Do you have the numbers or a link to show what : low, medium ,high, too high peak blood sugars are for non diabetics?
3) Would testing as described in Q1 and Q2 be a good measure of the glycemic load on the body and tell you whether each meal should be for : every day / once a week/ rare treat ?
4) If the answer to question 3 is no what would be a good protocol to do this?

Many thanks

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The glycaemic load of foods are listed on the internet. As a T2 I do not bother with GL as the insulin response and glucose response is what we are most concerned with.
Testing with a glucometer will only show you your personal response to foods re glucose. Testing should have a structured path, taking readings at random will tell you little so take a fbg (fasting blood glucose, taken on waking before you get up and rush about) then before first bite of a meal and then again at the two hour mark after your first bite. The difference between the pre and post prandial readings should be no more than 2mmol preferably lower than this. As non Diabetics your levels should stay in the ranges and you shouldn't be seeing large spikes.
People with Type 2 Diabetes react most poorly to carbohydrates in the diet so we have to restrict (to a degree) our intake of high carb foods such as breads, pasta, rice etc which sees a better glucose response.
If I had known this simple fact when I was younger I would have cut down on these foods as well as the obvious ones that we know are not so good for us. An interesting point to make is about the fruit/fruit juices that are promoted as healthy and for non Diabetics they can be but in moderation because the glucose/insulin responses can go sky high for us.

There is a handy little chart that shows the the various ranges for glucose but I do not have the link. Try using the search bar at the top of the page or I am sure other members will post the link later. Great to see more and more people taking an interest in heir health, keep it up and good luck.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Questions

1) How long after eating should we wait to test the peak blood sugar? (before insulin has a chance to drop it down)
2) Do you have the numbers or a link to show what : low, medium ,high, too high peak blood sugars are for non diabetics?
3) Would testing as described in Q1 and Q2 be a good measure of the glycemic load on the body and tell you whether each meal should be for : every day / once a week/ rare treat ?
4) If the answer to question 3 is no what would be a good protocol to do this?

Many thanks

1) For non-diabetes should be around 30m after meal, but depends on the GI of the meal. For real non-diabetics should be max 7,7.
2) see http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php
3)You have to make a test: measure before meal (non-diabetic should have max 5,6). Eat. measure each 15m and make graph as in Q2. Stop when the blood glucose will again under 5,6.

You will get the needed info for your meal of choise.