Humalin I

reddevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm on Humalin I, twice a day injections and this is a bit like hit and miss where my BM's are concerned. Most people have two lots of different insulin but I don't know anything about this, so what am I missing out on.

I have been diabetic for over 12 years and most of the time I'm doing ok, but like now after a meal I jump up to 17 and somtimes come down to 8 or 9 after 4 hours. The last few nights I have still been at 17 but in the past if I give myself more insulin in the evening I suffer the next morning as my BM's are between 1.2 and 1.9.

Can you please help!!!!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I have to ask, what exactly did your meal consist of ?

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Mixed insulin, like yours, works great if you eat the same things at the same time each day.
Not so good if you chage meals times, or meals.

It really is worth considering changing your reigime for a bolus/basal one.
Thw twice daily one works by giving you x amount of short term insulin, and x amount of longer term insulin. The short term covers your meal, and the long term covers when you aren't eating.

You're eating too many carbs for your insulin to deal with, so you give yourself more insulin. But, this insulin keeps on working all the time, long after your meal has been digested, which is why your levels are going so erratic.

Your levels are generally wuite high it looks like, and personally I think that bolus/basal would be worth looking at, it gives you more flexibility and although you have to have more injections, i think it gives a lot better control.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Celtic.Piskie said:
Mixed insulin, like yours, works great if you eat the same things at the same time each day.

Humulin I is not a mixed insulin its a medium to long acting insulin.

I would speak to your doctor about your concerns a morning/fasting reading of 1.2 or 1.9 is well into hypo territory and I would think you need to reduce your overnight units if they are causing such lows every morning. But you should speak to your doctor urgently.

As Cugila has said it would be useful to know what your meals consist of as the high levels you are recording after meals may well be caused by your diet.

But do speak to your doctor and get your overnight insulin sorted, 1.2's are NOT GOOD

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Ahh, okay thanks :) .