1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

humalog vs novorapid

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by zoeee, Apr 8, 2011.

1. zoeee

zoeee · Member

i'm currently on humalog (and lantus), but it doesn't seem to "kick in" as quickly as it should do... i've been rotating the injection site just incase that was the problem, but it still doesn't seem as instant as it should be, and my sugars will be high for about an hour (or two!) after i eat before it seems to start working - especially in the mornings, which can't be right..?
    someone told me that novorapid had a slightly faster and longer peak action time, is that right? if so, that could be better for me than the humalog?

and are there any other differences between them? - i'd ask my "handy diabetes nurse" but i still don't have one!!

2. cugila

cugila · Master

Humalog is supposed to have an effect after approx 15 mins, peak activity around 1½ hrs and a duration of about 2 - 5 hrs.

Novorapid is supposed to have an effect after approx 10-20 mins, peak activity around 1-3 hrs and a duration of about 3-5 hrs.

Here's a link to various Insulin profiles which I posted in another thread :

http://www.mims.co.uk/Tables/882439/Ins ... parations/

3. smidge

smidge LADA · Well-Known Member

Hi Zoeee!

I use Apidra which seems to work very quickly and then leave my system very quickly - sometimes a little too quickly as the two-hour reading can be brilliant (or a little low on occasions), but a three-hour reading can show my BG rising a bit as the slow-release carbs can hit me after the Apidra action has finished :roll: (This seems to happen particularly when I eat egg noodles). Another member has advised me to split the dose, which I will try. The good thing with Apidra is that I can take it immediately after my meal and it's still effective - so I know how much I've eaten when I take it, instead of guessing how much I might eat!

As for Humalog and Novarapid, it's interesting that many people on this site state that Novarapid has a slower on-set and more of a 'tail'. However, the Registrar I saw recently insisted that Novarapid, Humalog and Apidra all have the same profile and that many tests have been carried out which prove it. He was questoning why I'd been prescribed Apidra rather than Novorapid - I think it must be more expensive judging by his expression :lol: I think you just have to try them and find one that works for you - maybe you could ask for one 3ml cartridge of each and try them for a couple of weeks each? At the moment, I'm very happy with Apidra.

Smidge

4. Bassiette

Bassiette Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My Doctor wrote for me Humalog as ot is cheaper and was available when there was problem with novonordisk in my country i used both and i couldn't feel such a difference

5. scotteric

scotteric Type 1 · Well-Known Member

NovoRapid and Humalog have similar profiles, and while both are faster than Regular insulin, neither is anything close to instant. You could try Fiasp, it is the fastest insulin currently available and is essentially NovoRapid with a couple added ingredients to speed up the absorption.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook