Hunger

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
I am hoping members can shed a light on why this is happening.
I had to get up early hours this morning as I was so hungry,this seems to be continuing throughout the day,not sure as to why?
My Bs reading this morning was 5.6.
Not sure what else to do as it does feel like I am constantly eating.I take 1x Metformin in the late afternoon after dinner.
Do you think I should eat some carbs,I have been cutting out all carbs.
Thank you.

image.jpg

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There is no point in totally eliminating carbs, your body will still make some from fats and proteins , its called Gluconeogenesis. All you need to do is eat low carbs but high fats so that you feel full and have energy all the day.

I get by on 15 grams of carbs, 75 grams of protein and 160 grams od oils/fats , all that adds up to 1800 calories /day. I dont feel hungry. If I dont eat enough fats/oils then I do feel hungry.

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am hoping members can shed a light on why this is happening.
I had to get up early hours this morning as I was so hungry,this seems to be continuing throughout the day,not sure as to why?
My Bs reading this morning was 5.6.
Not sure what else to do as it does feel like I am constantly eating.I take 1x Metformin in the late afternoon after dinner.
Do you think I should eat some carbs,I have been cutting out all carbs.
Thank you.

View attachment 10028

I would suggest avoiding carbs, or you may find yourself in a perpetual circle. Your body. Is probably protesting at the drop in carbs, and giving you signals to top up to your previous levels.

If/when this happens again, try having something low carb - cheese, meat or the like. If it's during the night, munchin a chicken thigh may not appeal, so you could try a teaspoon or desert spoon of double cream. That'd give your system something to work on.

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As others have said increase the fats and protein. An oncoming hypo when on insulin is often accompanied by a feeling of hunger, so it may be as your blood sugar is going quite low that your body is signalling more food to avoid a hypo

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. As others have said increase the fats and protein. An oncoming hypo when on insulin is often accompanied by a feeling of hunger, so it may be as your blood sugar is going quite low that your body is signalling more food to avoid a hypo

As Snowy said her blood scored 5.6, it could be more likely a false hypo.

Snowy - a false hypo is where your body is giving you hypo-like symptoms, when you're not actually hypo, because it wants to run a bit higher. It's very common soon after diagnosis, because the pre-diagnosis "normal" levels would have been higher than ideal. That's the basis on which I was suggesting not treating these feelings with carbs.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
Thank you all for your input,when I was first diagnosed it was a lot higher,and now I am getting it under control,but still struggle some days.
I will have to read up on the false hypo,as I have not heard of it before.
I did however treat it with a small bowl of pasta,the hunger would just not give in.
Learn by mistakes I suppose,I now know the reason my fridge has a light,for midnight snacking lol.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If I feel hungry and it's a while until meal time I have a baby bel cheese or some nuts or, occasionally, a teaspoon of crunchy peanut butter.