Hungry farmer needs recipes!

CF Hurley

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who don't indicate when they come off roundabouts
My grandad was diagnosed with type 2 not long ago and he's trying to manage it with his diet. Last blood reading was 49 so he's doing well!
Only problem is he's a farmer and does manual labour all day. Coming home to beans on wheaten toast isn't an option!

The nurse said to cut back on potatoes but he struggles to feel completely full without a good feed. Of course, the veggies have been upped but they only keep you full for so long. And I won't lie, he's not overly fond of them! Lunchtime is another problem because he's used to having a wedge of homemade cake to help fill him but, again, without this he's not feeling as full as he wants to.

Any good lunchtime ideas? I've been googling but it keeps coming back with fancy delicate food, not what he's looking for. Need something that will fill him out. My granny has been cooking eggs more but is a bit stumped too.

Also, anything that helps you or a family member feel full at dinnertime either?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bacon and eggs are filling and he could up the meat portion that he normally has Perhaps vegetable soup cooked with a ham shank for lunch swede and celeriac is less carb than potato and can be used as a thickener for the soup or as a thin topping for a shepherds or fish pie cheese is also a good filler and can be grated over the top of pies .Just a few ideas there are loads more on the recipe pages
CAROL

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Home made cake is a good option still there are loads if recipes on here for diabetic cakes, most use sweeteners and other forms of flour so it is lower carb and sugar free

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

Njieberridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to eat Walkers Crisps, and Biscuits, grumpy people
A delicious lunch I had the other day was, a hamburger, with a couple of strips of crispy bacon and cheese on top, with a large salad, I couldn't believe how filling it was, it kept me going for hours, and for afters I had some 0% Greek yogurt, and sugar free jelly, I also find homemade soup with lentils and beans are very filling, hope this helps

Njieberridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to eat Walkers Crisps, and Biscuits, grumpy people
Forgot to say, Hamburger without the bun!!!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
What about lentils and beans?
Cod and bean stew

Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
small rosemary sprig, leaves finely chopped
25g chorizo or other spicy sausage, chopped
2 fat garlic cloves, crushed
700g bottle passata
410g can cannellini beans in water, drained
200g shredded green cabbage
4 skinless chunky fillets haddock or cod

Method

Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then soften the onion for 5 mins. Add the rosemary, chorizo and garlic, then fry for 2 mins more until the chorizo is starting to crisp. Tip in the passata, beans, cabbage and sugar, season, then simmer for 5 mins.
Add the fish to the pan, leaving the tops of the fillets peeking out of the sauce, then cover with a lid and leave to cook for 5-8 mins or until the flesh flakes easily. Delicious served with crusty bread.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, October 2008

sagarg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My grandad was diagnosed with type 2 not long ago and he's trying to manage it with his diet. Last blood reading was 49 so he's doing well!
Only problem is he's a farmer and does manual labour all day. Coming home to beans on wheaten toast isn't an option!

The nurse said to cut back on potatoes but he struggles to feel completely full without a good feed. Of course, the veggies have been upped but they only keep you full for so long. And I won't lie, he's not overly fond of them! Lunchtime is another problem because he's used to having a wedge of homemade cake to help fill him but, again, without this he's not feeling as full as he wants to.

Any good lunchtime ideas? I've been googling but it keeps coming back with fancy delicate food, not what he's looking for. Need something that will fill him out. My granny has been cooking eggs more but is a bit stumped too.

Also, anything that helps you or a family member feel full at dinnertime either?

Hello,
As you said he is a farmer and doing hard work whole day and eventually he has eat whatever has been made, either he can do one thing and that is by boiling some vegetable he can make a soup and with that one fish and bread is enough as lunch.
Buy Ayurvedic Medicine usa

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find chicken and or sausage and choizio stew with chickpeas and butter beans very filling. Also shepards pie with carrot and swede topping instead of potato.