Husband has lost the plot

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals
Sorry to be a bore. but I just feel like having a rant. Just got up to find that my other half has eaten the last of my low carb bread, when there was a white loaf, which he claims he prefers, in the bread bin.. :evil: He just refuses to face the fact that I have to restrict what I eat and it is really getting to me. I bake for myself, (low carb eves pud), and find that desite the fact he has a shop bought rhubarb pie in the fridge he has eaten MY puds Grrrr!!! Excuse being that I left it there for more than a day. IT WAS A TREAT, MEANT TO BE FROZEN THAT SHOULD HAVE LASTED FOR A FEW WEEKS. Oh well next time I guess I will have to make more, that way I may get some. In the meantime I am left with the problem of what to have for my breakfast. Flipping men!!! :roll: I really feel like having the last of his fruit loaf, just out of badness.

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
I have this problem with my 16 y/o son! He has decided that my bread tastes better, my blueberries are "gorgeous", Greek yoghurt is his favourite, that sweet potatoes are better than ordinary ones and that my sunflower seed Ryvitas are his own special snack. Meanwhile the kitchen is full of lovely things I can't eat!

To be honest, I think we are all a bit lazy when it comes to shopping and normally just grab the same stuff every week... So if one of us suddenly brings "special" food into the house, for whatever reason, the others all go "Ooohhh, what's THIS? This is different... I LOVE it!". :lol:

Especially MEN, who are (after all) just giant toddlers.

MaryJ

how bl**dy annoying

Good point Glados about it being new food in the house. Hopefully the novelty will wear off and soon.

Otherwise, just buy more of your stuff and let them go to the shop for their treats :p

Mary x

Signs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
jumbleannie1VDJQ said:
I really feel like having the last of his fruit loaf, just out of badness.

Apparently the birds LOVE fruit loaf. Why not give them a treat?

I spent ages on Sunday making lamb and veggie burgers. My daughter was turning her nose up at the cooking smell when I was doing them but half of them disappeared in her "food parcel" when she raided the freezer before her return to uni.

Greek yoghurt? Tried it - it was so sour I couldn't take it - am I missing something here?

Cheers, John

C

catherinecherub

jumbleannie1VDJQ said:
Sorry to be a bore. but I just feel like having a rant. Just got up to find that my other half has eaten the last of my low carb bread, when there was a white loaf, which he claims he prefers, in the bread bin.. :evil: He just refuses to face the fact that I have to restrict what I eat and it is really getting to me. I bake for myself, (low carb eves pud), and find that desite the fact he has a shop bought rhubarb pie in the fridge he has eaten MY puds Grrrr!!! Excuse being that I left it there for more than a day. IT WAS A TREAT, MEANT TO BE FROZEN THAT SHOULD HAVE LASTED FOR A FEW WEEKS. Oh well next time I guess I will have to make more, that way I may get some. In the meantime I am left with the problem of what to have for my breakfast. Flipping men!!! :roll: I really feel like having the last of his fruit loaf, just out of badness.

Easy answer here. Buy one lot of groceries that are suitable for you and let him eat them too. He will probably improve his health on your diet and can buy his own treats. :thumbup:

WhitbyJet

+1 Hear, hear catherinecherub :)

Same thing happened with my family, I used to cook my own low carb meals, something different for the family, they always ended up eating my food. So now they all eat low carb plus additions eg new potatoes, fresh fruit.
I bake my own low carb bread, have stopped buying any other bread because it just goes mouldy in our house, everyone prefers the low carb breads.
I think my family adapted to low carb much better because they were never forced into it, they never had the diabetes diagnosis (not yet, thank goodness), whereas I rebelled and struggled at first, I was basically forced to eat different foods.

Was so lovely at Easter, the children got Easter eggs (plus other gifts), to date the eggs are left untouched displayed on the bookshelves.
They will get nibbled eventually, but am so grateful that my kids dont have those horrible cravings that I used to have.
I hope you and your families can all be healthy x x

Unbeliever

5years after diagnosis I am still having these problems with my husband! The worst thing is when I have something whichi want to keep in the cupboard for cooking purposes or for emergencies.

He is actually having a much UNhealthier diet than he had before I was dianosed. We used to eat the same GI diet. Now he makes a big fuss abou being "deprived of certain things.. he had been "deprived" for the previous thirty years or so and never noticed!
When we eat out he always chooses something which he probably hasnt eaten since his childhood.

The best thing is hough , that he insists on buying certain things labelled "diabetic" jams and ice cream. I NEVER eat that sort of thing.
Just as well really because I wouldnt be given the opportunity. Two days after he bought the last jar of diabetic jam
I accidentally dropped my dish of berries on the floor . As the poster above mentioned I oo find greek yoghurt difficult to eat on its own= n fact I don like yoghurt at all really.

I wondered if a tiny bti of the jam would make it edible. What did I find? Empty jar in the cupboard.!
I think, he has worked out that he can eat more if they are "diabetic". yes, I have warned him about sweeeteners!

Overall I think he is just "jealous" of the diabetes in a way. As Glados says , he is a just a giant toddler.
Most of the time I just make the same meal for us and leave out he starchy carbs for me/ I do find his atitude irritaing though.

The biggest irritant is when he whines "Just because YOU dont like it..." . Apparently I make him feel uncomfortable when I wont eat things which would send my bg levels sky high and which I refuse to buy because it isnt good for him either.

he cant seem o grasp he difference between dont like and cant have. Its very strange as he spends literally hours with me in the eye clinic of the hospital and is well aware that my eye condition is a complication of diabetes.

I think the trouble is that he doesnt really connect food with my diabees. I was of normal weight and we had alll been eating he GI way for years. I am sure he thinks I am just "depriving myself " unnecessarily.

Defren

My youngest is the same, she never ate eggs until I started having quite a lot, now eats them almost every day. she didn't like ham, had to have chicken roll, now eats all the ham, wasn't keen on tomato's now eats them like smarties - sigh. I suppose I should be grateful as her intake of junk is much lower, but I plan meals, go to get what I need and it isn't there. Would any one like a spare daughter, she is quite well housetrained :lol:

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals
Sorry, but one overgrown child in the house is enough for me to cope with. Point taken, just buy, and cook more of the things I like, and let him eat them too. At least it means I wiill get fed.lol I may still have to hide the eve'd pud though. The amount of it he can put away is amazing, and I make it last for weeks frozen. Anyone got a spare, vvery small, hideable freezer :lolno:

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Dear Annie (Jumble?)

Nobody has said it but I will. I felt a wave of sympathy for you and anger towards your other half. I can only wish you well and hope that you can get more understanding.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
My uncle one bought me loads of sugar free jelly sweets like cola bottles and cherries etc.. yummy! i used to have a small handfull if i was craving something sweet but didn't want to bolus. My mum found this stash whilst on a fad diet of hers and ate quite a few of them... then couldn't get off the loo for hours :lol: :D :twisted: 8) That'll teach her!