Hyperlipotrophy. Doing something about it.

BigRedSwitch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Seem my signature! :)
Hi all,

I introduced myself here last year, but I haven't been involved that much since then due to some changes in my personal life.

I figured I should come on here now, as something is about to happen which is significant and connected to my diabetes.

Just as a refresher, I'm 41 years old, and have been Type 1 since the age of 3. On 9th Feb this year, it'll be 38 years. My 5 year old son is also Type 1.

I'm 6'5", and I work out A LOT (usually twice a day). Due to my shaved head (seems Diabetes wasn't the only genetic fault!), I get told I look like 'Stone Cold Steve Austin' a lot (for your visualisation purposes - I don't think it's a compliment!)

The unfortunate thing is that, despite all the muscles, 20 years of using Actrapid (a porcine derived insulin), I have a fatty 'band' around my waist (Diabetic Hyperlipotrophy). This is a constant irritation to me, and something which effects my self confidence. I'm 13% bodyfat aside from that, so I've decided to get it fixed.

With an abdominoplasty!!

Obviously this has been quite a big (and expensive) decision, but I figured in starting this thread anyone else in a similar position could read about my experiences.

I'm in good health, have good HbA1c, and eat healthy (in the most part) as well as my frequent gym visits. I have 'background retinopathy' but nothing that has required treatment as yet. Additionally I have no other diabetes related complications.

The operation will take 4 hours, and will be performed by Mr Martin Vesely, a consultant plastic surgeon at St. Georges in London. I will end up with a scar from hip-to-hip, but hopefully a flat stomach. I will eventually cover the scar with a tattoo (given the fact I'm already tattoo'd, this isn't an issue).

So there you go! I know this drastic course of action isn't for everyone, but I figured some of you might be interested - I will also post some 'before, during and after' photos as time progresses!

Cheers!

Col.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I introduced myself here last year, but I haven't been involved that much since then due to some changes in my personal life.

I figured I should come on here now, as something is about to happen which is significant and connected to my diabetes.

Just as a refresher, I'm 41 years old, and have been Type 1 since the age of 3. On 9th Feb this year, it'll be 38 years. My 5 year old son is also Type 1.

I'm 6'5", and I work out A LOT (usually twice a day). Due to my shaved head (seems Diabetes wasn't the only genetic fault!), I get told I look like 'Stone Cold Steve Austin' a lot (for your visualisation purposes - I don't think it's a compliment!)

The unfortunate thing is that, despite all the muscles, 20 years of using Actrapid (a porcine derived insulin), I have a fatty 'band' around my waist (Diabetic Hyperlipotrophy). This is a constant irritation to me, and something which effects my self confidence. I'm 13% bodyfat aside from that, so I've decided to get it fixed.

With an abdominoplasty!!

Obviously this has been quite a big (and expensive) decision, but I figured in starting this thread anyone else in a similar position could read about my experiences.

I'm in good health, have good HbA1c, and eat healthy (in the most part) as well as my frequent gym visits. I have 'background retinopathy' but nothing that has required treatment as yet. Additionally I have no other diabetes related complications.

The operation will take 4 hours, and will be performed by Mr Martin Vesely, a consultant plastic surgeon at St. Georges in London. I will end up with a scar from hip-to-hip, but hopefully a flat stomach. I will eventually cover the scar with a tattoo (given the fact I'm already tattoo'd, this isn't an issue).

So there you go! I know this drastic course of action isn't for everyone, but I figured some of you might be interested - I will also post some 'before, during and after' photos as time progresses!

Cheers!

Col.

Good luck with that. When are you having it, and what is your projected recovery time?

My only comment would be on your proposal for your scar. I also have a hip to hip scar, from some girly surgery (not abdominoplasty), and after a very short while the scar was barely visible. These days (several years on), it's virtually invisible. The minor 1-2cm scars from laparoscopies are more noticeable.

I'm guessing you'll have to wait a while for the area to heal, before you could contemplate a tattoo. I hope you find you don't need it.

BigRedSwitch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks, AndBreathe. :)

The operation is on 11th February. My surgeon thinks I'll be able to return to work within 2 weeks, but I'll be working from home for the remainder of the month. I'll have to stay away from the gym for 6 weeks, though, which I don't like!

I hope you're right with the scar. Whilst the idea of the tattoo doesn't bother me, I'd much sooner have just a clean, barely visible line. :)

G

graj0

How far do they move the belly button?

An interesting procedure, and at 4 hours surgery time, not to be taken lightly. Even my TKR surgery was only 1 1/4 hrs and I know too well what it's like to have muscles that have moved a bit (if my reading up on tummy tucks is anything to go by). It was something I looked into because some serious dieting and exercise for 8+ years has only been partially successful (it's not all about diet and exercise).

I'm getting the other knee done first, but I think I'd be slightly concerned that fat would accumulate again, as it seems to do in most people as they get older. That's not to say getting heavier, just that our body changes as we get older. Having said that, I seem to remember reading somewhere that we have the same number of fat cells, they just get bigger, so if fat is removed there is nothing there to get bigger, if you know what I mean.

I do wish you all the very best with this procedure and I hope that you are 100% successful in your wishes. Good Luck

Graham

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi Col, I thought Actrapid was a Human Insulin, not porcine derived? I don't think that affects whether Hyperlipotrophy occurs though. I have a similar build up of fatty tissue in the stomach area that I am struggling to remove and I'm at just under 13% bodyfat. This is an interesting (if extreme) course of action. Did you look at other treatments?

BigRedSwitch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
graj0 - they won't be moving muscles (I've got plenty of them, and they're all tight!) - it's literally removing the fatty tissue and the skin which has been 'deformed' by the injections. Not a 'standard' tummy tuck (which involves tightening the abdominal muscles) - this is literally just the outer surface.

tim2000s - as I understand it Actrapid was porcine derived. The first human insulin I used was Humalog (which I'm still on now, 25-odd years later). The only real difference is that the porcine insulins create more hyperlipotrophy - any of them do it, but it's worse from the little piggies. :)

I have literally tried everything to get rid of this. Liposuction wasn't going to work as that would have left loose skin (undesirable too), and no amount of exercise or dieting would get rid of it, hence the decision. Extreme is a reasonable description - I considered it for nearly 2 years before deciding to proceed - not something I've taken lightly...

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, it does sound drastic but I totally understand it. I haven't injected in my arms for about 15-20 years and my legs for about 10 years and I still have very large fatty lumps there. I was originally told they should go if I stopped injecting there but obviously not!! I hope all goes well for you and I have to say I'm a bit jealous.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@BigRedSwitch, Actrapid is a human insulin, I was on it before changing over to insulin analogues.

I've a lump on my stomach from over injecting in the area and using blunt needles (glass syringes days) and have considered surgery, so I can understand your reasons for wanting to ahead and get it removed, hope all goes well.

BigRedSwitch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My bad on the actrapid - I was one of the first people in the uk to be put into Humalog due to the actrapid causing the hyperlipotrophy, but it was so long ago I'd obviously forgotten the exact cause.

I too was on re-usable needles and glass syringes when I was first diagnosed (1977), and then went into disposables, then the novopen. The insulin was the principal cause of the hyperlipotrophy, however, as I was off the glass syringes before I could inject myself (around 1980, iirc - I was only about 7 years old).

Anyway, yes. Origin aside, the insulin chemistry is what caused the issues - not had any issues since I've been on Humalog. :)

Scardoc

Where else do you inject @BigRedSwitch??? I have used my tum for 6 years and had to start moving as hba1c crept up. Other than my middle there is no fat and I'm guessing you are the same.

BigRedSwitch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hey Scardoc,

I injected everywhere I could! Stomach, thighs, buttocks - I got HLT in all of them, but my stomach was the worst by far. As I suggested, the development of the lumps went away when I started using Humalog, so the thicker sections of skin on the top of my thighs aren't too much of an issue.

I'm on an insulin pump now, though, so injections aren't an issue anymore. :)

G

graj0

graj0 - they won't be moving muscles (I've got plenty of them, and they're all tight!) - it's literally removing the fatty tissue and the skin which has been 'deformed' by the injections. Not a 'standard' tummy tuck (which involves tightening the abdominal muscles) - this is literally just the outer surface.
I understand, all the best.

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on a pump too but still getting lumps, although very small and not sore like my arms and legs, the human insulins only stopped the lipoatrophy not the hyperlipotrophy but it is not as prevalent with human insulin.

Amina9191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could I ask you how much it cost you? I've got the similar issue with my stomach as well have have been considering surgery for a while, the only thing which have been putting me off is the scarring afterwards.

BigRedSwitch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The surgery is costing me around £6000. Took a lot of consideration, considering the cost - I don't have that kind of money to burn!

Reactions: 4 people

Manodeldios

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who make poor lifestyle choices when they have a choice!
Hi
Diagnosed 1978 4 years old.
I too had many years of bovine and porcine insulin. ( the most Frightening hypos I still remember now.)
I went on a pump trial in 1999 and have two large areas of hypolipotrophy. My consultant says worse she Has seen in 30 years.
Having had an eating disorder when I was studying for my first degree, these areas are causing me huge issues in my personal and professional life.
My gp, consultant and MP all supported a funding app for abdominoplasty. It was turned down 6 times.
I am now paying £8000 for it at a hospital in northamptonshire.
I am so pleased to know I'm not alone.

Angie b 2512
at
g mail dot com

Please get in contact! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Manodeldios

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Btw- I have now been on the pump for 16 years hence the extreme hyperlipotrophy. I now have a self fundes Omnipod i can site in more places and remote control in court!
I'm having to take out a loan I can ill afford as a completely lone parent with a mortgage and bills to pay and mouths to feed. I've not taken this lightly and just need to figure out if I can fit it in with my work schedule. I had a c section in 2001 as my kidneys failed and I developed retinopathy in pregnancy. That scar is barely visible. :)

Manodeldios

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
image.jpg image.jpg Nobody apart from the medics have seen these. 21 years injecting. 16 years of insulin infusion. ! I'm a size 10 everywhere else!

Manodeldios

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The surgery is costing me around £6000. Took a lot of consideration, considering the cost - I don't have that kind of money to burn!
See my posts. The pump isn't a solve all option. 16 years limited sites because of tubing lengths. Extreme hyperlipotrophy. A size 10 apart from the two huge lumps! X

iHs

Disgusting......you should not have to pay at all as its not yr fault. The op should be done foc on the NHS. I had liposuction done on a lumpy hollow in my leg back in the mid 90s. This come about through my D consultant asking me if I had any fatty lumps on my body and saw my leg and just referred me to see a plastic surgeon who did a simple liposuction. The op was a success although a bit uncomfortable and needed to wear tight fitting cycling shorts under my jeans to keep the skin flat.

Reactions: 4 people