Hypo and Reducing Insulin

diabeticdancer

What's the least amount of insulin that would be considered too small to keep taking it? I know that might be a silly question. I am just wondering that if you only take a certain amount per day could you take medication to do the same thing? Such as metformin?

My insulin requirement are dropping daily, but I am still experiencing hypos. 1 to 2 per day and blood glucose rarely goes above 7 unless I've ate something really bad.

Had anyone else experienced this?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Because you are type 1 (iirc?) I would think you want to drop the insulin last, after any other meds, even if you just took as little as half a unit of basal a day.

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
your activity levels are going to be having a massive effect on your needs, so I'm glad you've managed to get the versatility of the pump in that respect.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be talking to the DSN about seeing what happens with a low-carb meal if you have no bolus insulin under certain circumstances. Perhaps the minimum basal rate covers all of your needs.

diabeticdancer

your activity levels are going to be having a massive effect on your needs, so I'm glad you've managed to get the versatility of the pump in that respect.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be talking to the DSN about seeing what happens with a low-carb meal if you have no bolus insulin under certain circumstances. Perhaps the minimum basal rate covers all of your needs.
You're right. I'm going to give her a call this morning as I have been feeling a bit of nausea too.

I'm grateful for the pump. From my little time on injections I can see that it would be very difficult around activity.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App