Hypo awareness.......

kimkennedy1989

I had quite a severe hypo in work today. I work in a call centre and was dealing with quite an irate customer so I was distracted and I missed my usual warning signs. Due to the adrenaline flowing from the 'heated discussion' I missed the usual feeling flushed and shaking hands.

By the time I got testing my BG I was 1.7 and by this point I was very confused and forgetful

Do you experience anything like this in your job role?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jeves

Hi I must admit I have been like that in work, I work in a very busy pharmacy and at one point I couldn't even talk after dealing with a patient lucky the pharmacist grabbed some glucogel!

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi I work outdoors and since we've had a long warm summer, and when I finish for a break and have a cuppa, I can't cool down, then I realise that my blood sugar is low. Always keep some glucose sweets handy.
At home, I sit with the back door open whilst the wife is huddled over the fire in the living room.
I am very bad at remembering proper nouns especially names. It can be embarrassing, when you get your kids and grandkids names wrong. or is it than I'm just getting on a bit?
Don't let your work get in the way of your treatment, they should understand and even though you might not want it, give you a lot of leeway, especially when you are having a hypo.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As a one-off I wouldn't worry too much about it but should it happen again I would seek guidance from your diabetes team, 1.7mmol is really low not to recognize the usual hypo awareness symptoms.

drumming_blitz

I know what you mean, I used to be in the same line of work and this happen to me once or twice, but never that bad. It may be an idea to pass the call on to you line manager if a cal starts to drag.

kimkennedy1989

Thanks everyone for your response. I had been on the call over an hour which made me 45 minutes later getting lunch that what I had been the day before, so this would explain the low I had. It just worried me that I missed the warning signs, thinking that it was just due to the nature of the call

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App