Hypo help!

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been hypo for over an hour now and it's not shifting.
I've drank 3 bottles of lucozade and had a slice of bread and still no joy.
I've had an upset stomach today and have been sick so I don't want to end up with ketones.

Also, baby has been frantic this morning and has been shifting and squirming a lot more than usual.

I've taken my pump off in a drastic measure to try and help the situation.

Does anybody have any further advice? I can feel all of this liquid I've drank resting on my stomach and don't want to sick it up again :(

Currently sitting at 3.8, came up from 2.6 but has taken an hour to get this far.

Thanks
Claire x

Last edited by a moderator:

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Taking the pump off should help I would imagine as you wont be receiving any basal now either.........could you not have suspended it rather than remove it.....?...

it looks like your coming back up so I would maybe get the pump back on and keep checking your levels, you may see a rise considering all the lucozade you drank...

but pregnancy can make control even more unpredictable I imagine.....

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been hypo for over an hour now and it's not shifting.
I've drank 3 bottles of lucozade and had a slice of bread and still no joy.
I've had an upset stomach today and have been sick so I don't want to end up with ketones.

Also, baby has been frantic this morning and has been shifting and squirming a lot more than usual.

I've taken my pump off in a drastic measure to try and help the situation.

Does anybody have any further advice? I can feel all of this liquid I've drank resting on my stomach and don't want to sick it up again :(

Currently sitting at 3.8, came up from 2.6 but has taken an hour to get this far.

Thanks
Claire x

If the hypo continues or you have another one, do speak to your Team. Also, of course, if you feel baby's movements are unusual. I was told to always phone if I experienced hypos in late pregnancy.

To get your sugars up, you could try something like the Lucozade plus a flapjack or biscuit maybe. Test even more than usual and if in any doubt call your DSN and midwife.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi thanks for the reply.

I've had such a rotten day but haven't been sick for an hour or too. Just in a lot of pain now with stomach ache & chest ache from all of the vomiting. Still feeling sick but managing to keep my soup down.
I've managed to keep my bloods at around 4mmol and have put my pump back on with a temp basal rate of 60% ready for when I go to sleep.
My partner has packed our bedroom out with telephones, lucozade, Coke & biscuits to see me through the night as he's on nights this week so I'm on my own :(

Fingers crossed I'll feel better tomorrow!

Claire x

onthegow

Hi Claire. Sounds like your going through a tough time.
Just remember to keep checking your levels. I would echo what others have said call your team tomorrow and get checked out.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It happens quite often to be honest, I can't wait for this pregnancy to be over so my body will feel normal again!

It's the hypos I can't deal with.

If I'm still the same tomorrow then I'll go in. Last time it happened I got admitted to the delivery suite and I was shocked at how little they knew about diabetes. I was in there because of hypos and ketones and they wanted to put me on an insulin drip as well as my pump!! The only benefit I got from being there was being put on a drip to help with my dehydration. I avoid going unless I have to!!
Will definitely go in if I'm no better tomorrow though.

Claire x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hope you're feeeling better today @claire1991

Yes, the delivery suite isn't that good on diabetes, but neither are lots of the hospital staff in general, I've found. If you do have to go in, you should be able to see an OB from your team and a DSN too so that you get appropriate treatment.

It's very possible your hypos are due to your upset tummy, but it's always best to be sure and be assessed by an OB.

Best wishes xx

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree @azure it's concerning how little they know about it to be honest!

I'm feeling better today and had a hypo free night.
Just resting now because of all the aches and pains it's caused by being poorly.

Not long now and it should all be over :)

Thank you for everybody's help xx

Reactions: 4 people

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds like a scary hypo @claire1991 , not made easier with the vomiting, tiredness and pains!! :( I'm glad you're feeling a bit better and had a hypo-free night (I'm sure your partner's glad too), and hope today has been the same for you. Take care lovely x x

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks hun, feeling loads better today just worn out and achey, still sat in my pjs!
It was a **** day but at least I managed to stay at home. The last time it happened I got admitted.

Claire x

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Who cares, as long as you're comfy!!! You defo deserved a jammy day today x so glad you've picked up today, long may it continue ;) x x

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It feels naughty but nice haha!

Fingers crossed that's the last time it'll happen!

xxx