Hypo in Asda

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
No, not me :roll: but I went shopping in Asda yesterday and came a cross a woman lying on the floor at the back of the shop. There was an Asda assistant tending to the woman, standing over her with a bottle of Lucozade. So I can only presume she had a hypo :(
I actually felt quite upset :cry: and it frightened me into thinking I never want to go there :shock:
So a bit of a kick up the backside for me, to take better care of myself and watch my diet :mrgreen:
Not that the lady in question wasn't taking care of herself :roll:
The lady and her friend where taken to place of safety in a wheelchair.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Chris,

Sometime that's what it takes to whip us into shape, its a reminder that we cannot take diabetes to lightly, but that said it shouldn't dominate our lives either.

Nigel

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
must be asda :lol: last year id a bad one in asda, had to have a wheelchair n glucotabs for 10 mins :D

chocoholic

At least Asda assisted the lady properly. When I recently had a bad hypo in the doctor's surgery of all places, I asked the receptionist if they could help with any glucose tabs. or similar (I'd changed handbags before leaving home and forgotten to take mine with me). The receptionist disappeared for what seemed like ages and came back with nothing, then went off again. Meanwhile I was shaking so badly I told the only other patient in the waiting room to pass on the message that I was heading to the nearest shop, as I couldn't wait for help any longer. I was in a right state by the time I got into the nearest shop and couldn't think straight to pay or anything. You'd expect those in a surgery to be a bit more helpfu! :roll:

lilibet

To be honest I live in fear of this (not asda, just unaware hypos needing bystander intervention)

That, and DKA, and retinopathy,and kidney probs, and any other complications! :lol: )

All kidding aside, they seem to have dealt with it ok but I dont think thats the norm unfortunately)

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
At least the staff in Asda didnt just assume the lady was drunk so well done Asda

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
lilibet said:
To be honest I live in fear of this (not asda, just unaware hypos needing bystander intervention)

To be honest, that is my one fear also! :(

That said, I think I would be grateful of any help should the need arise. I think that most of us like to feel that we are in control, hence why we think in this way! :)

Nigel