Hypo-land

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I'm on the vibe with Dexcom, and although I have few hypos as I catch them before they happen and my A1C is good, I kind of feel I am living a bit in hypoland as I regularly have to have a biscuit or a drink to avoid a hypo ( at least twice a day)- is this normal and just the cost of keeping a good A1C?

What are people's opinions on this ?? Thanks

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I have just started on a pump a little over 5 weeks ago ( omnipod)
My DSN is of the opinion and belief that if basals are correct then hypoing should not really be too much of an issue.

I have had enough results over this period ( testing approx 15 times per day ) to believe that she is pretty accurate in her assessment ( for me at least)
I have done loads of basal testing over this past 5 weeks and have many many instance of running flat in target range ( my range is set at 4.0 to 7.0 )

my hypos have been reduced from approx 5 to 8 per week on MDI to approx 1 per week so far on pump.
and the hypos I have experienced on the pump have been much shallower and treatable with only 5 carbs sweets or maybe 10 carbs.

although i have had time at first week of running too high as basals were tweaked at first , my BG average over the past 7 days is 6.4 with 64% of readings within goal , 31% above goal and 5% below goal

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi himtoo
Glad to hear all going well, it took me a while with to get my basals right- so your lucky , yes I agree with what you say, maybe I'll re check my ratios and basals again

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are the hypos at similar times each day? If so, that makes it easier to make adjustments. Sometimes there can be subtle patterns if you look closely. These can be related to your daily routine too.

I think tight control can increase the risk of hypos, but I'm talking technical hypos not ones that make you feel awful. The human body isn't a machine so it's reactions will never be precisely like you hope. There are so many variables.

If the lows are bothering you, you could get advice from your DSN about any possible tweaks you coukd make.

Reactions: 7 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Agree with @azure.

Look for a pattern for when these hypo's occur, maybe do some basal testing and if in the absence of food you do go low then make changes to your basal rate 2 hours before.

Reactions: 2 people

jo78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just started on a pump a little over 5 weeks ago ( omnipod)
My DSN is of the opinion and belief that if basals are correct then hypoing should not really be too much of an issue.

I have had enough results over this period ( testing approx 15 times per day ) to believe that she is pretty accurate in her assessment ( for me at least)
I have done loads of basal testing over this past 5 weeks and have many many instance of running flat in target range ( my range is set at 4.0 to 7.0 )

my hypos have been reduced from approx 5 to 8 per week on MDI to approx 1 per week so far on pump.
and the hypos I have experienced on the pump have been much shallower and treatable with only 5 carbs sweets or maybe 10 carbs.

although i have had time at first week of running too high as basals were tweaked at first , my BG average over the past 7 days is 6.4 with 64% of readings within goal , 31% above goal and 5% below goal
My daughter has been on the 'omnipod pump' for 2years now and I would definitely say her control has improved, with less of them nasty hypos.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I must say I'm on the omipod too and my diabetes is much better I do miss the odd thing that the Medtronic pump I was on had thou