Hypo Seizure last night - feel really ill today

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
Okay, so I had a seizure last night due to a sugar low. My boyfriend was scared, but he managed to sort it. He said I was properly fitting. But today I feel really ill. I can't shift my headache, I ache all over, I can't seem to eat properly. I am really tired, and I didn't wake up until 12.30. Now I have had sugar lows before, but I have never had a seizure from them being so low. Is this normal, and what can I do to make myself feel better? I really need to concentrate as I need to work on my university work.
I also am worried, as is my boyfriend about it happening again

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi.
Welcome to the forum. Have you any idea what your levels were that night. Before the event and maybe after ? Do you test regularly ? Had you eaten beforehand ?

For a hypo to cause you to fit etc then you should have had prior warning signs, awareness well before it got to that level. Did you have any warning signs prior to the event ?

Are you sure that it was due to a hypo and that there is no other medical problem.

You really should get medical advice ASAP as it could also be unrelated to your Diabetes.

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was asleep. I went to bed with 6.4 (lower than normal as I usually dont go to bed unless they are above 7). I do regularly go low in the night. The weather gets to me too. Usually I go low in the summer, as the heat seems to make my insulin more efficient. We have not had heating, and so in the cold weather I have been giving myself more insulin. Last night, the heating was working again. I think that was the cause. My sugars were on 1.8 after my boyfriend managed to get me conscious enough to test them.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi.
Thanks for that. You seem to know what you're at, however you might do better to ensure your bedtime level is a bit higher, maybe a small carby snack prior to bed. You also need to get the Insulin dosage matched to your carb intake, not the weather.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi Amber, does your boyfriend know how to test you? if not, please teach him!! You have had a serious hypo and your body was letting you know by seizing like that. I have had seizures when I was going through a period of unwareness and they are pretty grim and will make you feel exhausted for a while afterwards. You must eat though or at least drink something sugary if you can't face swallowing food, that is critical, Lucozade is ideal but just small amounts to avoid spikes.

Glad to hear you are feeling better, please eat something! :)

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks guys.

My boyfriend does know how to test me. I have shown him that. He is amazing. He knows all the right things to do, as he came with me to see my diabetic nurse when we first got together and asked her everything he'd need to do in every eventuality.

My quick acting insulin does match my carb intake. Its the long acting insulin that seems to cause me most of my problems. In the summer I take half the amount of my Levimer than I do in the winter. Stress also has a huge impact.

Debloubed - I have eaten some rice pudding. It's what was suggested to me to eat once when I was ill and not eating, so I thought I'd do the same. I think I am starting to lose hypo awareness. I don't seem to realise I am going low now until I am low. Last night, as I say, I was asleep, which is why I think it went as low as it did.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
yes, sleep is the danger time for unawareness I'm afraid......if you were alert you would hopefully notice eventually or someone else would notice you needed help before the seizures start.......I feel for you!

Glad your chap knows what he's doing, sounds like as good 'un :D

Speak to your DN and get some advice about getting your awareness back, usually need to run your BG a touch higher for a week or so to get your warnings signs back - hope you manage to sort it :D

Adrian1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

You say you are feeling il today still. Is your sugar levels back to normal after last night. I know when I get hypo I panic eat and end up with sky high readings for a while.

Regards
Adrian

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My sugar levels are a 8.2. I have just eaten. They have been no lower than 6 today, and no higher than 10 (with the exception of the first one in the morning being 12.4)
I have an awful headache and I ache all over. Thats what I mean when I feel ill. And I am very tired. I've not done any University work today at all. Can't concentrate.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
it's the after effects of the seizure, do you feel drained too? Your body had to do some serious work to wake you up which takes a lot of energy - keep resting and eat what you can, you have done well to keep a post scary hypo BG no higher than 12, just remember to test before bed this evening and snack before bed too...........

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've been testing every 1/2 hour and really been monitoring closely.
Yes I feel drained. I could fall asleep right now (and did a while ago)

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
sounds like you are doing everything that you should be doing :D

Hope you feel better soon :)

sunflower333

Dislikes
Being Diabetic
amberzak, what a terrible thing for you to go through. I've only had type 1 for about 6 months so i am still learning, but I thought if you went very low at sleep time, from what i've been reading on here, you had a liver dump so you would be ok,

this thread as made ME worry abit now...as i say, i'm still learning

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Amberzak - did you have any alcohol the night before the seizure?

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nope. Don't drink.

Fujifilm

All the symptoms you are now having are quite normal, you gave your body some trauma and when you fit the muscles tense up hence why you now ache.

Its a horrible experience and if you are going low overnight you probably need to adjust your insulin so worth a word with the doctor.

You will soon feel normal again. Just keep checking the BG and plenty of rest.