Hypo & work

cuddlychub

Recently had a meeting with my employer,and production manager. 3 weeks ago, over a period of 3 days, I had experienced a hypo. Using advice given by the nurse at my GP, having a sugary drink, and resting for at least 15 minutes.

My employer has expressed concerns about the hypo incidents, it is being claimed that I could go into a hypo, faint, and injure myself at work, and is now requesting my consent to access my medical records, and get confirmation from my GP to determine if I am fit enough to continue working at my current place of employment.

Having read the fine print, my employer has stated that if I decline to consent, then they can make a decision that basically affects my employment without any medical consultation.

It is very rare I experience a hypo, and I monitor my sugar levels regularly, and I always take action upon the first signs of a hypo to prevent it getting worse.

What are my rights regarding this?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You need to seek advice from your Trade Union, Citizens Advice or Diabetes UK who should be able to guide you through your rights at work etc.

jopar

Not sure what they Call the Disability Discrimination Act now (changed it's name about a year or so ago) your employer has to make reasonable adjustments...

As to the company's requesting access to your medical records...

It won't actually your manager or HR who will be looking at your medical records, it will be either the Occupational Health or the Company Doctor.

Whether you company will terminate your contract, will depend on risk factors of your job and whether they can make reasonable adjustments either to your duties etc to limit risk, If you having a hypo could lead you to being mangled in machinery or put people in serious harm of injury and reasonable adjustments either to your duties or routine can't be done then your company should offer you another position within the company if no suitable position is available then they are entitled to terminate your contract...

Reasonable adjustments could be something simple, such as if you've taking a BlG before doing a particular procedure that might put you or colleagues at greater risk of harm,,,,

So I would ask to see the occupational health, as they can look at your duties with you, determine a risk factor what and how adjustments can be made ect... And if they can be found then your company are obliged to implement them...

Any failure of your company to follow this type of route, who leave them open to a claim of unfair dismissal...

At the end of the day it really depends on safety issues surrounding your job