Hypo

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday evening I had quite a bad day with my blood sugars running high for no reason. I ended up going to bed at 10.9. So I woke up at 4am and tested my bloods again and they were 10.4 which I thought was ok so went back to sleeping. I then woke up at 7am with blood sugars of 2.7? I’m really confused because I feel like I couldn’t have avoided that?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Emily, it does sound odd. Can you give us an idea of what & when you ate & injected during the evening.
Could you be in your "honeymoon" period?

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Emily, it does sound odd. Can you give us an idea of what & when you ate & injected during the evening.
Could you be in your "honeymoon" period?

A quick brief, my sugars have been all over the shop lately, I have no idea why. Yesterday they were high constantly and I ended up not eating dinner because they just kept rising and rising. I ended up taking myself to the hospital because I felt so sick and was worried. But the last time I injected any insulin was about 10pm that evening. So I shouldn’t have gone low at 7am

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It could be that you are coming down with something, though that is more likely to send your blood glucose up.
Have you done a basal test recently?

Reactions: emily deacon

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That drop is a real puzzle, @emily deacon . Don't know how long you've been dx'd but one thing to think about, if only to rule it out, is lipohypertrophy. If we've been dx'd for a while and inject in the same area too much, some subtle bumps can build up and they really mess up the rate at which insulin is absorbed. It can sit there for a while not doing anything then fights its way past the lipo bump and gets to work at unexpected times, hence unexpected drops. Lipo bumps can feel like a bit of firm avocado just under the surface, so maybe worth having a look at your injection sites.

Of course, it might also just be that when you injected at 10, presumably as a correction, insulin takes a while to fight past high levels, but, once it's done so, if there's still a fair amount of it left on board, there can still be some pretty harsh drops in the last couple of hours of action.

Reactions: emily deacon

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Have you calibrated your tester recently? Just a thought