Hypo

Samanthacxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone!

I was hoping for some advice please, over the past three days, I've had two pretty bad hypos both reading 2 & 2.2.

The thing is, I didn't have any symptoms! I only have a "feeling" that I should check my bs and it has been low.

I've had milder hypos that have produced really bad symptoms. Has anyone else experienced this?. I've only been diagnosed three weeks, so I'm pretty confused [PENSIVE FACE]

Thanks for any advice!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you spoke to your dsn about reducing insulin. Early days for you and will take time to get doses correct.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Samanthacxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply!

My insulin dose changes every few days as I need to phone them daily just now and they adjust it going by my readings.

It just frightens me that I don't have any symptoms!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hypo's generally don't happen for no reason. I know it's early days but try and keep a record of everything you eat and any meds you take for a couple of weeks. You may see a reason why you're going low. Even if you can't, your DSN will be grateful if you can provide lots of BG readings etc. if you lose hypo awareness, you need to maintain levels slightly higher than normal for a few weeks to get your awereness back. Good luck
Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. From posts I've seen over many months it appears people are affected by low blood sugar in different ways and the blood sugar point at which a hypo starts varies quite a lot. It is a bit surprising you were only mildly affected at the levels you quote. I would adjust the insulin to try to keep above 4 as far as you can. I've been down to 3.6 so far with no symptoms.

Samanthacxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure what's happening, but I count my carbs and stick with what my dietitian advised me to do for each meal and my dsn tells me what dose to take. I was only started on 4 units of levemir last week.

I'll be extra careful over the next few days and see what happens :)

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Samantha, as Mo said its a case of keeping good records and trying to see what you may have done previously to bring on the hypo, Normally for me its because I've misjudged the carbs or insulin. Don't forget exercise has a big part to play in lowering your blood sugars, and it doesn't have to be going for a run, even a good shopping trip or housework can bring them down. so keep testing and recording and I'm sure you'll work it out.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Are you just on Levemir at present i.e. no mealtime rapid? 4 units is quite low but whatever your DN advises based on readings. I'm interested in what you mean by your dietician advises for each meal. Is that advice giving you the carb content for each meal you plan? I was given a very useful Roche carb-counting leaflet by my DN. Nice pretty pictures of food plates of 10gm carbs for a range of veg, potatoes etc.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Samanthacxo said:
I'm not sure what's happening, but I count my carbs and stick with what my dietitian advised me to do for each meal and my dsn tells me what dose to take. I was only started on 4 units of levemir last week.

I'll be extra careful over the next few days and see what happens :)

As you only started on basal insulin last week it may well be the lememir dose needs to be brought down, either way get in touch with your DSN and explain to tell them about the hypo's and hopefully they'll advise further, for now just keep testing your bg more regularly and hopefully you can pre-empt the hypo's before they take hold.

Samanthacxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Daibell, I'm currently on humalog three times daily & levemir in the morning, but the background insulin was only started last week. My dietitian was working with me and working out the amount of carbs that suited for each meal and it was working really well for me.

Thanks noblehead! I'll give her a call today and let her know and I'll make sure I check my blood sugar more often than usual :)

Thanks for the advice :)

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
You had good advice from people who have responded so far about adjusting insulin and testing etc. I would like add from my limited experience (newish type 1 too), I get the usual hypo symptoms (shakes, sweats, bad temper) as my BG drops slowly, but if it drops very quickly I go from feeling fine to feint without all the usual hypo symptoms. It is like if my BG drops fast I bypass all the warning signs, or it takes a while to catch up. I get hypo symptoms in the 3s, but very little if I crash quickly to the low 2s. I will start to sweat and shake later as my BG starts to come up, delayed response possibly? Either way it can be a bit frightening. Good luck with getting things under control.

Samanthacxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Flakey bake!

Thank you, that sounds like me!. I spoke with my dsn today and it looks like I'm in my honeymoon period! I had another one today in the 2's & didn't notice it, I only noticed as I was drinking lucozade that my hands were shaking! Not a nice experience :(

Thanks for the advice again, it's really good speaking with others who know exactly how you feel :)

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Background insulin has gone down quite a bit since diagnosis, 25 Levemir to 15. At the higher level had a lot of hypos, and my 3 month check was too low they told me I was running my BG too low.

Maybe worth reviewing your background insulin.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My Background insulin has gone down quite a bit since diagnosis, 25 Levemir to 15. At the higher level had a lot of hypos, and my 3 month check was too low they told me I was running my BG too low.

Maybe worth reviewing your background insulin.

Shows how important it is to get the basal dose just right, much like yourself JRW I've seen a big reduction in hypo's since paying more attention to my basal insulin, I was once on 34-36 units but now only take 17-19 units.

mikegresty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes and neuropathy
I lost all feelings of going hypo over 20 years ago after a particularly bad hypo leaving me with no warning signs I would notice but those that know me well can usually see the signs and now I must rely on them when possible which is hard as I live alone. as a last second resort I use gluco gel available on prescription formerley known as hypo stop this is very fast acting and needs only be placed under the tongue but I also keep a bottle of normal coke to hand for those times and especially for those persistent hypos (I've had bloods of 1.1 and had to consume up to three days of carbs before my blood sugar levels would stop falling and its especially at these times we need a high sugar and fast acting solution.