Not open for further replies.

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Here's a line from the official, supposedly informative thread from the beginning of the 'Type 1 Diabetes' section of this forum:

"Hypoglycemia is the term for when we have low levels of glucose in our blood. A blood glucose level of under 4 mmol/l is considered to be hypoglycaemia (a hypo)."

Each and every day, I quite commonly have blood-glucose readings below 4mmol/l. Not at all uncommonly, I get readings around 2mmol/l.

By and large, however (touch wood), I do not have hypos at all.

It's on account of what I eat, and the way that I eat, that I'm able to tolerate blood-glucose readings that in the past would have brought me to the floor before I might take appropriate action. (I've read that others manage to achieve the same result by a dietary means different to my own: @diamondnostril is one that I know of.)

But how could my control of my condition possibly appear reasonable when, according to the definition of 'hypoglycaemia' endorsed by this Forum, I am in a semi-constant state of hypoglycaemia?

Hypoglycaemia necessarily involves behaviour: my inability to respond appropriately to a hypo do to a lack of insight - which response, or lack of response, would be something behavioural - is itself a highly characteristic symptom of severe hypoglycaemia.

So, here's what looks like a veridical definition of 'hypoglycaemia': "(Symptoms resulting from) low blood glucose."

I found the above definition somewhere on the internet. Here's something else I found, after a brief search:

According to Medilexicon's medical dictionary, hypoglycemia is "Symptoms resulting from low blood glucose (normal glucose range 60-100 mg/dL [3.3-5.6 mmol/L]), which are either autonomic or neuroglycopenic."

The present Forum's official definition of 'hypoglycaemia' is at best an unhelpful convention. (It's a very widespread quasi-convention, I know.) But it's also just plain wrong.

Once more, here's my question:

How could my control of my condition appear reasonable when, according to the definition of 'hypoglycaemia' endorsed by this Forum, I am semi-constantly going hypo?

Last edited by a moderator:

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Why not ask a HCP? :woot:

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Is that 'Healthcare Practitioner'?

Do you mean, ask if I'm having a hypo?!

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Well, I've just checked. And according to the orthodoxy, I am indeed having a hypo at this very moment.

But I won't dwell on that too much.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've read your post in disbelief Michael, if your running bg levels of 2mmol without symptoms then you are obviously hypo unaware which isn't ideal, whether you agree or not you are indeed having hypo's.

Reactions: 4 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well actually it quite well explains you're constant state of argumentative-ness. Just because you don't believe you're having a hypo doesn't mean by medical definition you're not.

Also just because you believe you're acting rationally doesn't mean you are!

What were you trying to get at with this post?

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3
Pump and CGM used (animas vibe)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Each and every day, I quite commonly have blood-glucose readings below 4mmol/l. Not at all uncommonly, I get readings around 2mmol/l.

Maybe it's time to get a new meter?

I thought that Four Was the Flooooooor?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Maybe it's time to get a new meter?

I thought that Four Was the Flooooooor?

According to the OP it sure looks like that phrase needs to be changed to "2 is just Tickety Boo" instead.:woot:;)

Reactions: 8 people

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
My past few HbA1c readings have been 27mmol/mol.

So the meter's fine.

But I mostly use visually read strips, anyway.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My past few HbA1c readings have been 27mmol/mol.

I'm not surprised it's so low if your sitting in hypo land all the time Michael, talk with your diabetes team about how to get your hypo awareness symptoms back.

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
I certainly manifest symptoms with a 2mmol/l reading, but normally nothing severe.

The severity depends on things like when I injected, and - above all - what I've been eating.

I'm a carer for my 93-year-old mother. She'd notice symptoms if I showed them

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not surprised it's so low if your sitting in hypo land all the time Michael, talk with your diabetes team about how to get your hypo awareness symptoms back.
That's the problem noblehead, he doesn't want to be higher (bg wise) he wants to prove the world is wrong and not his way of doing things.

Again I ask what was the point of this post?!

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I certainly manifest symptoms with a 2mmol/l reading, but normally nothing severe.

The severity depends on things like when I injected, and - above all - what I've been eating.

I'm a carer for my 93-year-old mother. She'd notice symptoms if I showed them

The trouble is we can't rely on other people spotting when we are hypo, they'll be times when your alone and what do you do then? I'm going to leave this thread as I've said all I need to say, good luck Michael !!!!!!

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
The point is that this is a correct definition of 'hypoglycaemia': "(Symptoms resulting from) low blood glucose."

Low blood glucose itself (however measured) is nothing other than low blood glucose.

Hypoglycaemia involves behaviour.

But the behaviour resulting from low blood glucose can be very, very different - depending on factors such as what you have been eating. The official, orthodox definition of 'hypoglycaemia' takes no account of this.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The point is that this is a correct definition of 'hypoglycaemia': "(Symptoms resulting from) low blood glucose."

Low blood glucose itself (however measured) is nothing other than low blood glucose.

Hypoglycaemia involves behaviour.

But the behaviour resulting from low blood glucose can be very, very different - depending on factors such as what you have been eating. The official, orthodox definition of 'hypoglycaemia' takes no account of this.

Thanks for clarifying. I think because everyone has their own symptoms it could be very difficult for the vast majority to link them to food previously eaten. Your the only person I know of who basically eats the same thing day in day out and feeds their insulin.

Why do you think what's eaten affects what symptoms are displayed?

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
I alway eat around 220g of rye bread, every day. (I don't eat it after 4.00pm, or my blood sugar would rise later in the evening and overnight.)

But I eat other stuff too.

I do not understand why the rye bread moderates my blood sugar and enables me to tolerate blood sugar levels which previously - before I started eating the stuff STEADILY throughout the day, as I do now - would have brought me to the floor.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Dude, seriously, Nigel is right, your hypo awareness is shot to pieces.

You think you're OK at 2mmol/l, but how much lower do you think that you can go without putting yourself in a coma? You must acknowledge that there is a lower limit and that limit is somewhere between 0 and 2mmol/l. You haven't left yourself much margin for error...

Do you drive? Have you told the DVLA about your lack of hypo awareness?

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Of course, 2mmol/l is very close to the edge.

But the point I'm making is that I just walk relaxedly to the fridge for some fruit juice, and I eat something and I carry on.

That's pretty well throughout the day my blood sugar is wavering near the edge.

But it doesn't aggressively yo-yo like it used to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.