HypoBand - The Cold Sweat Alarm

dspalton

I have recently had the opportunity to be able to test the new HypoBand - Cold Sweat Alarm (www.hypoband.co.uk).

The device itself keeps track of your temperature and humidity during your sleep.
If it detects a cold sweat, then it will sound an alarm and alert your next of kin/healthcare worker.

I am a type 1 diabetic and have cold sweats during the day when I'm asleep.
Not lots but I have had a few.

Indeed i had one last week and the device worked exactly as planned which was fantastic.
There is also a companion application, which allows you to setup up to 3 people to notify in case of cold sweat.
The device communicates with the application and gives updates to the HypoBand servers with your temperature and humidity, which gives some really fascinating viewing (if you like stats like me).

A short video of me unboxing the device, as well as a few pictures as well.

IMG_0561.JPG
IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_0564.JPG

And a size comparison to the Apple Watch
IMG_0565.jpg

If you have any questions let me know, and ill do my best to answer them

Dave

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im still waiting mine, I got this email on Wednesday if it helps @Jackie100

"Hi there Ramsay,

We’re waiting on the last two people to return their forms to us and then all of the Hypobands will be sent out. They should be sent out this week however and I’ll let you know as soon as they are dispatched. We’re keen to get the trial started as we’re very excited to hear what you think!

Thanks again for your email and I hope your day is going well so far J

Kind regards,

Elizabeth – Part of the Diabetes.co.uk Support Team"

M

mammamia2006

I got an E-mail about 20mins ago saying that mine was sent out today & should arrive on Monday. Bit of a nightmare as I will be out all day on Monday :(

DWilson

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
I would just like to say how good the Hypoband is and what such a great invention. Got ours two days ago and we are very pleased. Nice to know there's a panic button in case of a fall or emergency but most of all, it’s for my younger son aged just 7 years old.

He’s been battling Diabetes for 4 years and this Hypoband is defiantly a must have in our house. It alerted me on Friday, saying my son was having a hypo at school during his lunch time play. I could also check his location as the message told me his GPS location.

I phoned the school office but no answer, so I drove down there saying Connors sugars are going low and can I just check on him. To my relief he had recognised the symptoms and alerted the teacher. By this time I was at the school alerting them too.

I would recommended this as a vital piece of kit to anyone.

Reactions: 13 people

Louise I

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
We were selected to test this as well and really looking forward to receiving it. My son is 14 and Type One with zero hypo awareness during the night so if this works it will be a miracle for us! I didn't realise that you could set it to send alerts to other people - that's genius!

Reactions: 4 people

Louise I

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
It's arrived!!!! I tried to do the initial set up and think I've bungled it already because I was in a rush to take the kids swimming (it's a Monday holiday here). In short there are very few instructions (which is good!) and I managed to download the app and register it all very easily. But now my phone is sending out a kind of whining noise that I don't have time to investigate because of the swimming thing. Will have a proper look as soon as we're home and I've got some time - which is probably what I should have done in the first place! Will report back asap.

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@dspalton I'd be interested in one of these, I'm only 6 months in to diagnosis but I'm often on my own at night and wake sometimes feeling like I've slept through a hypo (dehydrated, swollen fingers, tongue feels too big for my mouth and a banging headache)
Is it just for use at night? I've had a few 3.somethings this weekend which I didn't have hypo symptoms for and just happened to test as I was about to eat, so this could be a handy backup.

Louise I

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay - finally back from swimming and had a bit of time to work out what's what. When I first set it up I stupidly downloaded the app onto my phone rather than my son's so when we pressed the panic alarm to test it my phone was trying to call itself because I was down as the emergency contact. Duh. We're up and running now and the set-up is much easier than my initial gaff suggests. Now to sit back and wait for a hypo...

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Introduction
I received my Hypoband today. It was very well packed with clear instructions. I have a fairly new Samsung mobile running Android. When you open 'Play Store' and search hypoband app: 3 options come up. 1) Hypoband 2) Hypoband Smart Ready 3) A Turkish language app.

My problem
I installed 1) Hypoband; and had so many problems and phoned the Hypoband office where I spoke with a helpful and lovely chap Giles. My main problem was when i tried to connect to the Hypoband via Bluetooth it kept asking me for a pin and wouldn't give me the option not to enter a pin because I was not given a pin and the obvious answer was to phone them and ask for it.

Solution
Giles explained that this was due to a system fault of my current Android version and talked me through how to fix it. I removed 1) Hypoband. I then installed 2) Hypoband Smart Ready. Giles talked me through how to connect via bluetooth just using this app and not via the phone with it just switched on. Its now fully working and iv not had any problems since.

Final note
If the phone goes out of range of the watch then you will hear constant beeping but thankfully doesn't phone anyone. Its just to make you aware your out of range and once your back in range it stops.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-21-11-19-37.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-21-11-19-37.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 840
  • Screenshot_2015-09-21-11-27-22.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-21-11-27-22.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 790
  • Screenshot_2015-09-21-11-27-28.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-21-11-27-28.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 782
Reactions: 10 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Looks like mine won't be turning up until Saturday thanks to some confusion in the information provided to Hypoband.

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi Everyone, We are HypoBand UK.
We have permission from the Support Team at diabetes.co.uk to have this profile, so that we can engage with people and answer any questions.

Reactions: 4 people