1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

HypoBand - would you like to take part in a 2 week hypo alert wristwatch trial?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Administrator, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Administrator

Administrator Family member · Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Administrator

We are working with Hypoband and they'd like 20 people to trial their Hypoband, which is a device to help prevent hypoglycemia. The trial will last for 2 weeks and we're keen to see what the community think of the device.

"Hypoband measures the skin’s humidity and temperature levels and displays the readings on the screen of the smartphone. It measures the skin’s humidity. The Hypoband is paired to a smartphone (Android or iOS) and triggers it upon the onset of a cold sweat to make phone calls, SMS or simply to alert you. Hypoband is patent pending and a CE MDD 93/42 EEC Class 1 product, The Hypoband bluetooth interfaces with a smartphone that has a preloaded Hypoband Android/iOS App. It triggers for help via a phone call or short message service (SMS) when the threshold limits of a “cold sweat” are met or when the panic button is activated. It also has a standalone alarm mode."​

There is a full manual that can be downloaded from their website http://www.hypoband.co.uk/cold-sweat-alarm/functions and you can watch videos giving instructions on the setup and usage:

If you'd like to take part, please email [email protected] please with your name and address. We will then send a consent form from Hypoband - once signed, Hypoband will send a product out to you. The Hypoband team will also be on standby to assist with any questions and can be reached by phone and email.

• Like Like x 13
  2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I'm giving this a go... Should be interesting. What I'm intrigued at is the point at which my BG levels will cause it to pick up symptoms and alert...

Looking at the Shop though, shouldn't these be VAT exempt for Diabetics? There doesn't seem to be a way to do that.

3. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I would like to try it as my hypo awareness is bad at presant, e-mail sent

4. Dec_O

Dec_O Type 1 · Member

e-mail sent so fingers crossed! sounds like a great idea

5. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I have also emailed :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. solitaire65

solitaire65 Type 1 · Member

please I am at withs end. I cant sleep at night, im disabled with uncontrollable diabeted for 47 yrs. I am having unaware hypos and then up over 33s. but mainly at night and not aware. my husband has ha to giuve up work to look after me. now my kidneys are very bad and waiting the outcome of some test as I may have to have dialysis, and they want me to have a pancreas transplant. please bare me in mind to give me a relief at night that I can sleep. thankyou Sharon Nicholson

7. spenlou

spenlou Type 1 · Newbie

Would like to give this a go as i keep going low and not having the signs

8. Amanda 74

Amanda 74 Type 2 · Newbie

I woiud love to give it a go

• Like Like x 2
  9. billbod50

billbod50 Type 1 · Member

I would like to take part
    thanks

10. Cath40

Cath40 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Email sent love to give it ago with starting creon and levels al over the place at min

11. Mollymoo82

Mollymoo82 Type 1 · Newbie

I think this is a really good idea, I struggle with a lot of hypos during the night and only get alerted to it with my symptoms when my sugars are really low, email sent.

12. bades1978

bades1978 · Newbie

Detailed emailed would love to help others out in this trial I sure do get a fair amount of lows lol

13. LouD

LouD Type 1 · Newbie

I would like to have a go, would be interesting, to actually collate data x

14. Sarahkylie7

Sarahkylie7 Type 1 · Active Member

I would love to take part in this! type 1 diabetic 17 years!

15. JANROU

JANROU Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I would love to give this a trial, hopefully I'm not to late

16. Louise I

Louise I Parent · Member

My son would love to try this. He's fourteen and has no hypo awareness at night.

17. Paul J

Paul J Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have sent my request in, sounds like a great idea

18. Melstevens

Melstevens Parent · Newbie

Email sent would love to see if my unstable type 1 daughter could trial it

19. Popster

Popster Type 1 · Newbie

Great idea, but what if you don't have an iPhone or Android phone? There has been a similar device on the market for several years and I use it with success. It can be seen here http://www.easylinkuk.co.uk/page31.html. By all means apply for the trial but if you don't get on it there is an alternative.

20. Matt J

Matt J Type 1 · Well-Known Member

For those who have lost their hypo awareness it won't work, will it? If, as it states, it measures body temperature and humidity i.e. cold sweats and you no longer get these as a warning of an impending hypo then surely the band won't work. I don't get cold sweats anymore for hypos :( .

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook