caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
just herd about this .
so i'm full of questions
.here we go
in the summer we all sweat except for lady's who perspire how dose it know we are not Hypoing.

is it water prof. its so easy to forget you have a watch on and do the washing up. but most watches are water prof.

battery life and recharging

build quality ( it looks abit plastic)

and it would nice if you could set your minimum BG range.

It looks good and i would be interested i had 3 hypos last week and didn't see them coming.:(

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
just herd about this .
so i'm full of questions
.here we go
in the summer we all sweat except for lady's who perspire how dose it know we are not Hypoing.

is it water prof. its so easy to forget you have a watch on and do the washing up. but most watches are water prof.

battery life and recharging

build quality ( it looks abit plastic)

and it would nice if you could set your minimum BG range.

It looks good and i would be interested i had 3 hypos last week and didn't see them coming.:(
It's supposed to be worn as an overnight hypo warning. In that situation, you shouldn't be experiencing excess sweating. I've found if you wear it out and work up a sweat just rushing for a bus, it false alerts, but that's not the way it is supposed to be used.

It has a couple of holes in the back to detect moisture so I wouldn't get it wet if I was you!

My experience of battery life is it is dependent on how long you have it turned on for. When I have forgotten to turn it off in the morning, it's generally been flat by bed time that day after a full charge. If I turn it on and off for use, it seems to last about 3 nights.

The build quality feels a bit like a cheap plastic watch. While it seems reasonably robust (I haven't managed to break it) it just doesn't look that way!

As it isn't measuring blood glucose you cant' set ranges. It is wholly dependent on detecting a cold sweat.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's supposed to be worn as an overnight hypo warning. In that situation, you shouldn't be experiencing excess sweating. I've found if you wear it out and work up a sweat just rushing for a bus, it false alerts, but that's not the way it is supposed to be used.

It has a couple of holes in the back to detect moisture so I wouldn't get it wet if I was you!

My experience of battery life is it is dependent on how long you have it turned on for. When I have forgotten to turn it off in the morning, it's generally been flat by bed time that day after a full charge. If I turn it on and off for use, it seems to last about 3 nights.

The build quality feels a bit like a cheap plastic watch. While it seems reasonably robust (I haven't managed to break it) it just doesn't look that way!

As it isn't measuring blood glucose you cant' set ranges. It is wholly dependent on detecting a cold sweat.

Haha - I'm the sweatiest overnight person in All The World... I might have to stick with other solutions

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @caretaker thank you for the questions and thank you @MH2010 for requesting Hypoband UK to give a response. The Hypoband is to be worn whilst you are asleep and as one of the common symptoms of a Hypo is a cold sweat, this also needs to be present.

It is incorrect for @tim2000s to give inappropriate advise and state it can be worn whilst outside. This advise is clearly stated on the box, and our website. However, some are wearing the HypoBand during the daytime at home, and if you read the reviews at HypoBand - Cold Sweat Alarm', you will see the results are very positive.

The HypoBand UK has been tested for two years in both cold and hot countries i.e. Singapore & Malaysia where the skin temperature will be higher with a higher humidity level. The difference between a hot sweat (fever) and a cold sweat, is not the amount of perspiration but actually your skin temperature changes. Therefore for a fever you will observe your skin temperature will increase, whereas a cold sweat your skin temperature will drop. This is how the HypoBand will distinguish between the two.

The HypoBand can not be waterproof, as the sensors need access to the skin. We have tested ourselves, and as long as the HypoBand is not submerged in water, and as most wear the HypoBand under the cuff of the sleeve, it will not spoil if water is splashed on your sleeve arm.

The rechargeable life of the battery is approx. 72 hours. However, others at the HypoBand - Cold Sweat Alarm, have worn for 5 - 6 nights and with no issue. Again, we clearly state on our website and instructions supplied with the HypoBand, to recharge during the daytime, and or whilst it is not being used. The HypoBand will recharge in approx. 1 hour.

With regard the casing and plastic used. As the HypoBand is in contact with the skin for up to 8 hours, the HypoBand Group have to follow the strict and controlled guidelines setout by the relevant Authorities. Therefore, the plastic used has to be of a medical grade, no coating or added layer can be applied to the outside to further enhance the cosmetic appearance because it is a medical device.

With regard the breaking force of the plastic, we have fully tested and if a 250 kg person / object was placed on the HypoBand, it would not break. Therefore the casing is robust and very strong.

@caretaker, can you confirm if your Hypos are during the night or daytime. What alerts you to having the feeling of a hypo?

I am sure @tim2000s will be more than helpful and give his free HypoBand to you, to test and for you to draw your own conclusions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @misswhiplash, the HypoBand has been tested on a variety of people that suffer from various levels of perspiration whilst asleep. We have a number of people that report they perspire from head to foot and this is normally only known the following morning as the pillow, sheets and neck are damp. However, because HypoBand detects a cold sweat and will alert you, this means that the perspiration is limited an therefore minimal.

If you suffer from hypos and with a common symptom of a cold sweat, then and as the reviews have shown, the HypoBand will assist you in your hypo awareness and care management. In addition, as it has been reported, alerting to a hypo in the early stages, also reduces the after effects that all experience with a hypo.

Reactions: 2 people

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Thanks
it might not be for me i would have false alerts all day, and there is lots of new stuff not that far away.i don't mind paying for something but it must be up to the job.but i cant afford CGM

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@caretaker if you have daytime hypos whilst running to the bus and or when exercising then the HypoBand is not suitable for your requirements. If you are at home watching TV etc, during the daytime and concerned about a hypo, then please see the various reviews.

I have taken part of a review from Gill, to help you:-

so far it has not gone off when Ryan has been asleep, which in one way is a good thing but as Ryan only uses the HypoBand at night I decided to wear it during the day and am so glad I did.

I dont have diabetes but I have Pernicious Anemia this condition makes me suffer with very low blood sugars. So far this week it has gone off 3 times warning me and for a good reason. It has help me manage so much better.

I usually can not tell until too late when my blood sugars are low and I end up nearly passing out. On my last blood test before wearing HypoBand my bloods dropped to 2.1. So this week I put the HypoBand on and was amazed. It went off, me thinking nothing just stopped what I was doing and then felt shakey my bloods were 3.9 so I took a jelly baby to bring blood sugars back up but instead of resting I carried on and alarm went off again....lol I should know better as dont let Ryan carry on until his bloods are back to normal. So not only is it helping Ryan on a night it is helping me during the day.... Well impressed