Hypoglycemia Awareness Program

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We are launching a *new* education program solely aimed at improving hypo awareness on Thursday.

Before we launch it to the public, we wanted to invite forum members to join first and give us their feedback. We have had over 3,000 people test the program and now it is officially in BETA. The Hypo Awareness Program is available at http://hypoglycemia.uk/

Why? Recognising and understanding hypoglycemia - and what can affect your hypo awareness is something that is essential in successfully managing blood glucose levels. HAP is free, open to all and a step-by-step guide to improving hypo awareness. The Hypo Awareness Program was devised by Ben (T1D for over 20 years) this time last year. Alongside Jack (T1D since the age of 4) and the feedback from the Diabetes Survey 2013, the HAP has over 10,000 people's input.

This is our first step into online education and we're very excited. Please take a look and let us know what you think. There is also a private forum within the course that allows people to ask questions and provide answers - as if the stats from the forum are anything to go by, this is what really drives health outcomes forward. HAP will also be available on iOS and Android as an app - but that won't be ready for a few more days.

We would really appreciate your feedback on the Hypo Awareness Program. If there is anything you think we need to add, edit, remove or anything else - please comment on this thread. http://hypoglycemia.uk/

HAP-py Tuesday! (see what we did there!) :)
Charlotte x

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We are launching a *new* education program solely aimed at improving hypo awareness on Thursday.

Before we launch it to the public, we wanted to invite forum members to join first and give us their feedback. We have had over 3,000 people test the program and now it is officially in BETA. The Hypo Awareness Program is available at http://hypoglycemia.uk/

Why? Recognising and understanding hypoglycemia - and what can affect your hypo awareness is something that is essential in successfully managing blood glucose levels. HAP is free, open to all and a step-by-step guide to improving hypo awareness. The Hypo Awareness Program was devised by Ben (T1D for over 20 years) this time last year. Alongside Jack (T1D since the age of 4) and the feedback from the Diabetes Survey 2013, the HAP has over 10,000 people's input.

This is our first step into online education and we're very excited. Please take a look and let us know what you think. There is also a private forum within the course that allows people to ask questions and provide answers - as if the stats from the forum are anything to go by, this is what really drives health outcomes forward. HAP will also be available on iOS and Android as an app - but that won't be ready for a few more days.

We would really appreciate your feedback on the Hypo Awareness Program. If there is anything you think we need to add, edit, remove or anything else - please comment on this thread. http://hypoglycemia.uk/

HAP-py Tuesday! (see what we did there!) :)
Charlotte x
Hi Charlotte, I'm not sure I really need this, as I am a Type 2, I presume you targeted me because of my personnel details, I have just seen it said Type1.

I have now corrected it, but I am positive that this had been correct previously. It's just I have had to ask or mention to someone the same where they were claiming in a post that they were type2 but their personnel profile details said type1, he also could not understand why that was incorrect.
I just wounder when there was recent work on updating this site that some of the drop down list have been reset.
Neil

G

graj0

Hi Charlotte, I'm not sure I really need this, as I am a Type 2, I presume you targeted me because of my personnel details, I have just seen it said Type1.
Hi Neil,

some good numbers there, well done. Hopefully you will never need to go onto a drug that makes the pancreas produce more insulin, but even if you're just taking Metformin, you're not immune from having a hypo.
Shortly after I was first diagnosed all those years ago and only taking Metformin, I collapsed in the garden, I initially thought I was just getting a proper bout of flu because I felt as weak as a kitten and generally LOUSY. I just laid in the garden for 1/2 hr until I felt a bit better, just as well it was a lovely summers day and I had been mowing the lawn. I decided to take my BG and it was 3, technically not a hypo, probably, but when you're not used to low BG it's just the same.
The thing was I'd skipped lunch and was mowing the lawn after skipping mowing the lawn for several weeks. It was tough going and I should have had a bite to eat.
So, just be careful. I'm going to have a look, any knowledge in this game is important and in my case it's an extension to my first aid training, hopefully never needed, but it's there somewhere in the back of my brain, just in case.

Reactions: 2 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Neil,

some good numbers there, well done. Hopefully you will never need to go onto a drug that makes the pancreas produce more insulin, but even if you're just taking Metformin, you're not immune from having a hypo.
Shortly after I was first diagnosed all those years ago and only taking Metformin, I collapsed in the garden, I initially thought I was just getting a proper bout of flu because I felt as weak as a kitten and generally LOUSY. I just laid in the garden for 1/2 hr until I felt a bit better, just as well it was a lovely summers day and I had been mowing the lawn. I decided to take my BG and it was 3, technically not a hypo, probably, but when you're not used to low BG it's just the same.
The thing was I'd skipped lunch and was mowing the lawn after skipping mowing the lawn for several weeks. It was tough going and I should have had a bite to eat.
So, just be careful. I'm going to have a look, any knowledge in this game is important and in my case it's an extension to my first aid training, hopefully never needed, but it's there somewhere in the back of my brain, just in case.

Hi graj0 , I thank you very much for this,

I do understand your concerns and appreciate your advice, I know that I could have a Hypo, and I have placed emergency rash-ions of glucose tablets in strategic places I visit regularly, work, car & boat, sports bag etc. I was in fact warned of the possibility of a hypo in-particular taking Metformin combined with large quantities of alcohol and to never drink alone.

Under normal circumstances I would have had a look, but I do believe, maybe wrongly, I was targeted because of the Type1 Tag on my profile which I had never put there, as I stated some else had to correct their statis also,

Apart from the diabetes, I have a great deal going on at the moment and under some stress, so being asked to test this program with little experience of Hypo's I had thought it was something I would leave for now, hopefully something I will not be regretting in the not too distant future.

I agree any knowledge is worth having but I just cannot concentrate on anything else at the mo.

Thank you once again,
Neil

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I haven't logged into the site.
Is this solely for T1s?

I have had a lot of experience of hypos and my awareness is very good.

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi graj0 , I thank you very much for this,

I do understand your concerns and appreciate your advice, I know that I could have a Hypo, and I have placed emergency rash-ions of glucose tablets in strategic places I visit regularly, work, car & boat, sports bag etc. I was in fact warned of the possibility of a hypo in-particular taking Metformin combined with large quantities of alcohol and to never drink alone.

Under normal circumstances I would have had a look, but I do believe, maybe wrongly, I was targeted because of the Type1 Tag on my profile which I had never put there, as I stated some else had to correct their statis also,

Apart from the diabetes, I have a great deal going on at the moment and under some stress, so being asked to test this program with little experience of Hypo's I had thought it was something I would leave for now, hopefully something I will not be regretting in the not too distant future.

I agree any knowledge is worth having but I just cannot concentrate on anything else at the mo.

Thank you once again,
Neil
I think the invitation was pretty wide Daddy's. I was invited to look and comment too, and I'm t2, no meds, not ever, and routinely run in the 3s and 4s, so quite unlikely to have a hypo crisis.

I took it as the site looking for maximum feedback from interested parties, and as anyone can suffer a hypo, or can encounter someone suffering a serious hypo, all information is power.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the invitation was pretty wide Daddy's. I was invited to look and comment too, and I'm t2, no meds, not ever, and routinely run in the 3s and 4s, so quite unlikely to have a hypo crisis.

I took it as the site looking for maximum feedback from interested parties, and as anyone can suffer a hypo, or can encounter someone suffering a serious hypo, all information is power.
Thank you AndBreathe, couldn't agree more.
Neil

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've had a quick look at the site and I'm not sure who the audience is. As a hypo aware t1 that has noticed changes to symptoms, I don't quite understand the purpose of the site.

If you can help me understand that I may be able to provide better feedback.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have now just logged on the website and I passed with flying colours.
It is clearly intended for T1s and some T2s.
But there are holes in places and the faster the better hypo treatment is I feel not necessary in all cases. In an emergency hypo, (very low) yes, but for someone in the mid threes. I'm sorry, a concentrated glucose drink would spike most diabetics.
You don't mention itchiness, anxiety, depression, sleep disruption, wild and weird dreams,excessive urination.facial twitches or tics.forgetfullness or inertia, severe lethargy. And many more.

But it is a useful tool for hypo awareness, and any education is good.

Good job guys. But not right for my condition and some T2s

G

graj0

I was in fact warned of the possibility of a hypo in-particular taking Metformin combined with large quantities of alcohol and to never drink alone.
Hi Neil,
that little gem is worth knowing, although I decided to give up all together in an effort to shift some weight. I'm also type II, but this thread was the first I saw of the awareness program.
I see that you have been on the old diet plateau, a phenomena that I know far too well. In the 2 1/2 years since I reduced carbs and therefore calories down to less than 1000, most days (we're all human, I hope), I lost 3 stone in the first 4 months and then nothing until last November when I had a TKR then 1 1/2 stone went in the 6 weeks over Christmas until mid January, despite moving around less, and now nothing again, in fact a small rise.
Things to remember? Never stop doing whatever you were doing to lose in the first place. Also it goes to show that the Harris Benedict equation used for calculating your Basic Metabolic Rate is only a guideline and not always that accurate.
BTW, I'm currently looking into the effects of stress, inflammation, sleep and pain on the metabolism. There's quite a lot of research going on.
I hope that whatever is increasing your stress will abate soon. Take care.
Graham

G

graj0

I'm also type II, but this thread was the first I saw of the awareness program.
Just received an eMail to the same effect, your original post is now completely clear. They obviously didn't eMail everyone at the same time.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'm type two and if I feel vacant a little confused I test.
If I'm below four I consider myself to be in need of some action to get my BS up.
If I find I'm three then I consider myself to be in the stages of a hypo and won't drive until I'm at least four.
I consider normal to be around five.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm... I completed the questions and passed the test but it still says that I'm at 91% of completion? And there's still "Take a test" banner at the top of the page, even though I completed the test as a NINJA! :D

Antony1976

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm... I completed the questions and passed the test but it still says that I'm at 91% of completion? And there's still "Take a test" banner at the top of the page, even though I completed the test as a NINJA! :D
I managed 100% and still can't get to module 3, any ideas?

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually you are in module 3.

But you have module 3 unawareness, caused by constant exposure to latter stages of easy tests. Try only taking more difficult tests for a couple of weeks, so that your module 3 awareness returns.

;)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In the [pre course] survey

• the question on severe hypo frequency should have a response between "once a year" and "never". Like "every few years".
  • the question about confusing hyper vs hypo only has two choices. so there is no space for my answer which would be very occasionally in the past. also it shouldn't say "get confused and misinterpret". Maybe I misinterpreted but I wasn't confused. Maybe I was confused but didn't misinterpret
  • can't believe you don't have Coke, or "non diet soft drink" in the list of hypo treatments
  • I feel like I'm be led (or frankly, used) when asked to respond to a question like "do you think there should be more information about hypos" on a microsite that has the function of spreading information about hypos which is part of a campaign for spreading information about hypos. ;-)
The photos in the modules give me the immediate impression I am not in the target audience because I am not under the age of 20. Makes me switch off. And like @tim2000s I am really not sure who the target audience is, and if I'm in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Chapter 2 - is there an evidence base for this? Maybe offer a link to the 'Research'. I am quite surprised at some of these claims. And if they aren't evidence based, you risk creating fear and alarm.

Additional health benefits
Research shows that people with diabetes that are better able to avoid severe hypos occurring can reduce their risks of the following:

• Depression
  • Major heart problems
  • Coma
  • Brain damage –as a possible consequence of coma
  • Premature death
  • Driving accidents
  • Health complications for foetus in pregnancy