Hypos and depression

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've recently gone low-carb and have found my BG levels much more stable. Previously, I would average 5-7 hypos a week. Now it's more like once a week. I hadn't had any that made me feel terrible for a few weeks, until last weekend.

As I sat doing nothing for about half an hour, my thoughts started becoming more negative, and it occurred to me that frequent hypos could contribute to a more long-term state of depression. By the same token, I'm now wondering: if I have less frequent hypos in future, will my mental health improve, I wonder?

I'm sure this has been discussed before on here, but thought I'd share this anyway.

Reactions: kokhongw and EllieM

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Colin of Kent Yesterday I went on a roller coaster with my blood glucose levels and ended up having 2 hypos which knocked me flat. I suffer with my mood when I go low below 3.2mmol/l, milder hypos I can bounce back from a bit easier but the lower I go the more it knocks the stuffing out of me. I do find if I have stable bg levels then the better I feel. I have been using a pump over 2 years now and that’s helped hugely with having less and more mild hypos so it’s been better for my mental health.

Reactions: Colin of Kent