1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hypos & warm weather

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Aitch6, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Aitch6

Aitch6 · Newbie

I've been using a pump for a few months now & have managed to get reasonable control. However this past week I've been having hypos every day which I think are caused by the heat. How am I supposed to prevent these?

2. candi-girl

candi-girl Type 1 · Well-Known Member

3. Aitch6

Aitch6 · Newbie

What is TBR reduction?

4. scottishkate

scottishkate · Well-Known Member

Hi Aitch,

TBR stands for Temporary Basal Reduction. When I'm in the sun I find that by blood sugars also drop down quite drastically so I decrease my basal rates for the time I'm going to be in the sun. For example, I knew I was going to be outside in the very hot weather on Saturday so I lowered my basal rate from 0.80 units an hour to 0.60 units for the 6 hours I was out in the heat. It's trial and error but give it a go.

Hope this helps?

Katie

5. kristinamd_2012

kristinamd_2012 · Member

You might want to do some basal rate checks just in case your basal rate needs some adjustment as well, otherwise the Temporary Basal Reduction would be great.

6. candi-girl

candi-girl Type 1 · Well-Known Member

and don't forget to change your insulin carb ration, you may need less it warm weather too .

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook