Hypo's

bri281295

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed 2 weeks ago, having to ring a nurse every day to tell them my blood sugars. Rang him on Friday before he's off for the weekend, and he added 1 more unit to my novo-rapid evening meal, he knew I was going to hypo over the weekend and I have hypo'd 3 times. Not sure if it's because i've been going out/walking a lot or because I've been having less carb meals. I either have meals that are too high in carbs or too low and it's stressing me out.

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
In the morning and into the late afternoon, I eat mostly dark rye bread. (With Biona Pear & Apple Spread, it's delicious.) This stabilises my blood-sugar; and in particular, it prevents me having hypos.

I eat very well indeed.

But I don't eat meals, so much. And I certainly don't have any significant amount of long-acting insulin. So when I go to bed at night, I can be certain I won't have a hypo.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It may help you to keep a food diary with the amount of Insulin you are injecting and the result of a monitor test two hours after eating. That way you will know that the next time you eat the same food what the outcome was for the Insulin injected.

Walking does use up the glucose in your blood quicker than when you are being inactive. Some people inject slightly less Insulin with food if they know they are about to be physically active. But if the activity was not planned it is a good idea to top up with something sweet to prevent glucose levels dropping too fast. When you feel a hypo coming on have something sweet too.

We all react differently to Insulin, food and exercise. When I go for a walk, I top up with a couple of mini jelly beans every 20 minutes or so while I continue walking. Other people I know need considerably more to stop glucose levels dropping.

It does get easier as your body gets used to your new way of life. You will learn (with the help of your diabetic team) how to vary your Insulin to cover the food you are eating. Your team are there to help you - so continue phoning the Diabetic Nurse as often as you need. Has he advised what level to have your blood sugar before going to bed?

bri281295

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ambersilva said:
It may help you to keep a food diary with the amount of Insulin you are injecting. That way you will know that the next time you eat the same food what the outcome was for the Insulin injected.

Walking does use up the glucose in your blood quicker than when you are being inactive. Some people inject slightly less Insulin with food if they know they are about to be physically active. But if the activity was not planned it is a good idea to top up with something sweet to prevent glucose levels dropping too fast. When you feel a hypo coming on have something sweet too.

We all react differently to Insulin, food and exercise. When I go for a walk, I top up with a couple of mini jelly beans every 20 minutes or so. Other people I know need considerably more to stop glucose levels dropping.

It does get easier as your body gets used to your new way of life. You will learn (with the help of your diabetic team) how to vary your Insulin to cover the food you are eating. Your team are there to help you - so continue phoning the Diabetic Nurse as often as you need. Has he advised what level to have your blood sugar before going to bed?

Oh thank you. I'm planning to start a food diary. No he hasn't, all throughout the day my team want them to be between 4 and 9.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ambersilva said:
It may help you to keep a food diary with the amount of Insulin you are injecting and the result of a monitor test two hours after eating. That way you will know that the next time you eat the same food what the outcome was for the Insulin injected.

We all react differently to Insulin, food and exercise. When I go for a walk, I top up with a couple of mini jelly beans every 20 minutes or so while I continue walking. Other people I know need considerably more to stop glucose levels dropping.

I edited the first paragraph and notice that you had responded to my original post. I added the bit about recording the result of a monitor test after two hours.

Keep asking questions. There are some T1s on here who are very patient and will give you very good advice.

Best wishes,

A

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Very early days for u yet and probably lots to take in. can be very frustrating at times. follow your teams advice, go to all your appointments, you'll be surprised how many don't. At your next visit ask to be put on a dafne course, (dose adjustment for normal eating). They might say its to soon for you yet but there is usually a long waiting list and the sooner the better. Any questions concerns you have, note them down, that way you won't forget at your appointment. Also, lots of advice here for any questions.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app