I’m a Type 2 diabetic on a pre-pregnancy journey, what do I need to know?

blushsugar

Hello everyone,

I’m new here. I finally decided to join after years of browsing the forum.

I’m 27. Diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes at age 23 in 2017.

I was intially given insulin upon my diagnosis as I lost a lot of weight and also had really high sugars (around 18-22 if I remember correctly).

I have recently come off insulin (not recommended by my doctor, I have decided to try and see if I can lower my sugars with just tablets and dietary/lifestyle changes).

I’m currently taking:
• Jardiance (10mg, once a day)
• Metformin (1000mg, twice daily)

I’m also counting calories to lose weight. I was 17.10 stones, just checked the scales today and I’m down to 16.10… I know I have a long way to go but I’m taking this as a mini achievement as it’s one stone closer to my goal weight

My sugars have been improving, they range from between 7-9 fasting (down from 10-12), 8-12 after meals (down from 14-21) and 7-8 at bedtime (down from 10-11). I’m hoping with more weight loss I’ll eventually be able to have my blood sugar stabilise between 5-6 and possibly come off medication.

My motivation for improving my life and diabetes is, of course, to have a healthier life, but also because I would like to have a baby in the near future.

I will start taking folic acid (5mg) soon as well as pre-natal vitamins. I plan to lose at least four more stones before trying to conceive (I’d like to be around 12.7 stones before trying - I’d still be overweight but at least not obese).

I also suffer from hypertension - I’m taking Ramipril (2.5mg) once daily for this.

Sorry for all the background, my question is if there’s anything else I should be doing at all to improve my chances of conceiving and a healthy pregnancy?

Thank you for reading.

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you can be referred to the pre-conception clinic and they monitor you abit closer. I was referred but got pregnant before I saw them. I'm also type 2 and I'm 35 weeks now and pregnancy has gone really well and blood sugars not increased.
I got my hb1ac into the non diabetic range before I got pregnant and I lost 3 stone prior to pregnancy. I think the weight loss really helped as I haven't had high blood pressure this time either. Also I was used to eating better tho admittedly I have been eating a lot more carbs this pregnancy than I would have previously.

Good luck with your journey

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone,

I’m new here. I finally decided to join after years of browsing the forum.

I’m 27. Diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes at age 23 in 2017.

I was intially given insulin upon my diagnosis as I lost a lot of weight and also had really high sugars (around 18-22 if I remember correctly).

I have recently come off insulin (not recommended by my doctor, I have decided to try and see if I can lower my sugars with just tablets and dietary/lifestyle changes).

I’m currently taking:
• Jardiance (10mg, once a day)
• Metformin (1000mg, twice daily)

I’m also counting calories to lose weight. I was 17.10 stones, just checked the scales today and I’m down to 16.10… I know I have a long way to go but I’m taking this as a mini achievement as it’s one stone closer to my goal weight

My sugars have been improving, they range from between 7-9 fasting (down from 10-12), 8-12 after meals (down from 14-21) and 7-8 at bedtime (down from 10-11). I’m hoping with more weight loss I’ll eventually be able to have my blood sugar stabilise between 5-6 and possibly come off medication.

My motivation for improving my life and diabetes is, of course, to have a healthier life, but also because I would like to have a baby in the near future.

I will start taking folic acid (5mg) soon as well as pre-natal vitamins. I plan to lose at least four more stones before trying to conceive (I’d like to be around 12.7 stones before trying - I’d still be overweight but at least not obese).

I also suffer from hypertension - I’m taking Ramipril (2.5mg) once daily for this.

Sorry for all the background, my question is if there’s anything else I should be doing at all to improve my chances of conceiving and a healthy pregnancy?

Thank you for reading.
Never had a kid myself, but considering your young age and weight issues in the past, do you know whether you have PCOS at the root of your T2 and weight? You might want to ask your doc for a check, as that would be useful to know before you get started. A low carb diet should help with PCOS, so you're doing everything right there as it is, but you might require a little additional help. (Mind you, MIGHT.). And with hypertension in the mix with T2, I think a pre-conception clinic'd indeed be the way to go. The more help assistance you get, the quicker and safer, you'll be a mom!

rhubarx

This thread is a bit old but wanted to reach out to say I'm in a similar position to yours and would love to hear how your journeys going

• Friendly
Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @rhubarx and welcome to the forums. Unfortunately @blushsugar who started the thread hasn't logged in since last December but I have tagged her (the @ before her name) so that if she does come back she will receive an alert to see this post and hopefully give you an update.

As a T1 I probably can't give you much help on your pregnancy journey ( I have two children but both pregnancies were pre cgm and obviously on insulin the whole way through so my experiences may not be that relevant to you).

Good luck.

Reactions: rhubarx