1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I’m confused...

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Alex_B, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Alex_B

Alex_B Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi

I am getting confused over the Covid vaccine as I did go on the calculator and it said either 2nd feb or 5th feb when I’d get my first dose. But when should I expect to hear? I’ve heard different things and it’s all confusing me and my mum. I know over 70s and extremely vulnerable people at the moment but when should diabetics and other vulnerable groups expect to get the vaccine?

2. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

We just need to be patient, some may be quicker due to their local population, but... Based on your age (and my age is samr actually) with no underlying other conditions:

Your vaccine queue results

Based on your profile, there are between 6,234,944and 12,921,004 people in front of you in the queue for a COVID vaccine across the UK.
    Given a vaccination rate of 2,600,000 a week and an uptake of 70.6%, you should expect to receive your first dose of vaccine between 13/02/2021 and 03/03/2021.

You should then get your second dose by between 08/05/2021 and 26/05/2021.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

At the end of the day the calculator is just an estimate. I appreciate it's annoying but I think we just have to wait to be contacted.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi @Alex_B I wouldn’t trust the calculator - it’s a generic tool, each area will have different criteria, I don’t think I’ll get it anytime before March/April so not building my hopes for anytime soon.

5. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Don't be confused @Alex_B, be patient. The little calculator is a silly thing and based on guess work not knowing how quickly or slowly the vaccine will be administered. I know I used it to give me a rough guess when I might get my dose ................just out of interest because I've got too much time on my hands. Luckily, I started a jigsaw and have forgotten when:D:D:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Andydragon

Staff Member

Agreed with this. You just have to turn on any news channel to see how it’s changing daily. Lots of assumptions and anything can change between now and the time we have our dosages. They could change priority, or vaccines could run out or more optimistically, they accelerate

Not easy perhaps but try not to think about it too much and they will get to us! :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alex_B

Alex_B Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I know I have to be patient I was just confused because nothing has been said and we all know how media gets confusing even for the non vulnerable people

8. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Forget the calculator. Also being diabetic is not influencing your vac date. My wife and I were done last week (we're 75/76) and my brother who is 72 is being done next week. Anyone over 70 should now be being called or have been. That includes anyone with a serious health condition but as far as I can see that doesn't include diabetes. If you are in your 70s or above, call the surgery if you haven't been called within the next week. Not everyone is receiving a letter (we didn't) so expect a text or phone call.

9. Andydragon

Staff Member

Diabetes does influence vaccination date. It puts those who are vulnerable, into group 6.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...id-19-vaccination-first-phase-priority-groups

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook