1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I’m traveling and forgot my insulin pens at home. What else can I do to get my sugar down

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Grizz 2, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Grizz 2

Grizz 2 Type 2 · Newbie

I’m traveling and forgot my insulin pens at home. What else can I do to get my sugar down

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Hello. Are you mobile? Are you travelling within the UK? If so, I would ring the NHS advice line on 111 for guidance. Other than insulin I do not know of any other way to get your blood glucose down.

Edited to ask. What are your numbers showing at the moment?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @Grizz 2 ,

I noticed from your other post on the site that your meter reads "HI." It's telling you your blood is anything over 33.3 mmol or 600mg/dl.?

You need to seek proffessional medical advice & replacement for the insulin you left at home in order to lower your BG levels to a safe level.

Good luck

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. NeilASmith

NeilASmith Type 1 · Newbie

So if you are saying you forgot your pens but have some insulin cartridges then you can go to any pharmacy throughout the world and buy some plastic syringes to use.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Are you in the UK? I think you can register as a temporary patient with a GP, hopefully get an emergency appointment, and some new pens.

I remember having to do that a few years ago while on a holiday, in the UK, but I don't know if you still can do it.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

If you are in the UK, you can phone your GP and get them to fax a prescription to a nearby pharmacy.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I suspect the OP is based in the US, and may be looking for 'other' alternatives to reduce his BG levels, if as Jaylee has suggested his levels are 'HI' then he needs to get insulin as a matter of urgency, there is no other way to bring down 'HI' levels, so it's either abort the trip and go home or go to a pharmacy and purchase more insulin asap.

Good luck @Grizz 2 Let us know how you are and how you are getting on ?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You need to get insulin asap @Grizz 2. With blood glucose of 30 you risk very nasty DKA.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

I once read that in the USA you can get emergency insulin at a pharmacy but may be wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  10. germansheppard234

germansheppard234 Type 1 · Member

Hi if you use a chemist like boots yo can go into any branch and explain they contact your chemist to check what you on and will issue a pen ,

Or go to hospital and they will give you insulin shot to sort you out and issues a prescription
    I have dont both these things in past

• Like Like x 1
  11. jnk001

jnk001 Type 1 · Active Member

eat no carbs to help keep it down but essential you get insulin asap

• Like Like x 1
  12. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have hard that Walmart in the USA sells a cheap inslin without needing a prescription.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I wonder if the OP's situation has been resolved or not it has been sometime now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. mefunk

mefunk Type 1 · Member

If those numbers are accurate, I would go straight to the nearest hospital

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jaylee

Staff Member

Walmart do limited types of insulin & only licenced in certain states to actually sell what they retail insulin wise... A quick Google pulled that up.!

If you're after a replacement insulin. Get what your prescribed, so you know what you are dealing with.. ;)

But make sure they measure the correct units to insulin strength ratio in the cartridge or vial. Not all insulins prescribed are the "standard" U100.. Some can be more concentrated like U200 or U500. Then there is a "Vetsulin." You guessed it for small animals like dogs. 40U. The type of syringe for the job needs consideration...

• Like Like x 1
    #15 Jaylee, Oct 30, 2018 at 11:05 PM
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  16. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Agree in a ideal world, but many people in the US can't afford medical care.

• Like Like x 1
  17. olusennuga

olusennuga Prefer not to say · Newbie

Hi, I agree there is no alternative way to drive down your blood sugar if you actually depended on insulin alone.

But this is a matter about your health and life. So I would guess you have cash, or your cards, so grab some money and dash to the nearest pharmacy and purchase some to keep you going.

You can reduce your holiday expenses to cope if need be. Health is Wealth, they say.

Finally, please do not eat or drink anything sugary before finally injecting your insulin!

18. Jaylee

Staff Member

I sincerely hope you arn't suggesting this member with dangerously high BG "side step" HCP consultation & "score" an insulin with an unknown working profile or action, other than what was prescribed & directed by the member's GP...?! o_O

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook