I am finding it hard to except I have type 2 diabetes.

Davey J

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
I went to the doctors for the first in 6 years, with a pain in my chest which turned out to be a trapped nerve. But of course now I am there she sends me for all the tests, anyway turns out I am type 2.
I am over weight yes, but I feel fine in every way, went to see the nurse yesterday who was going to sit me down and tell me what I should do to control it and sort out my tablets.
Half hour with nurse who showed me how to use the pricky thing to test my blood for glucose. And she gave me a eating well booklet. I was then told my prescription would not be in till later in the week and I would need two further visits to the nurse to explain things further.
So I leave the surgery not much better informed than when I went in, ok if I do have type 2 I want to do something about it ASAP, like other people have said there are so many conflicting ideas on what you should eat.
Is there not a simple list of things you can eat and things that you should not eat, I am not too bothered about having the odd treat I would sooner just cut out anything that is no good for me. I thought I had a healthy diet as it was. As I said I am over weight and I am not about to the London marathon or join a gym and the only bike I am going to ride has an engine. I am going to try swimming a few times a week.

Can any one help with a list of things to eat and avoid.

I wish I had never gone to the doctors!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bye for now

Dave...........

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people
G

graj0

But of course now I am there she sends me for all the test, anyway turns out I am type 2.
And she gave me a eating well booklet.
Is there not a simple list of things you can eat and things that you should not eat, I am not too bothered about having the odd treat I would sooner just cut out anything that is no good for me. I thought I had a healthy diet as it was.
I am going to try swimming a few times a week.

Bye for now

Dave...........

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
What meds are you on metformin? thats the general t2 start one if different ask why as to statins l flatly refused.

Lots of us low carb high fat it seems counter to the nhs healthy ideas, you will soon learn to ignore most of nhs and join us many bunch of diehard cynics.

Scroll down the forums and read that here is a direct link l started on Vivs diet
Another good site is Dietdoctor

Some use gi l dont and so no comment on it but even those as far as l know restrict carbs.

How many carbs you have is up to you but will need to cut down, l have around 30 others go for 20 or 50 or 100 or 150. Settle where you are comfy. Advise you cut out bread, potatoes, pasta and rice. All contain carbs and starch that break down to glucose.
And a book called Carbs and Carbs... get the large book not pocket one or the phone app...although l prefer the book.
Make sure lot of water is being drunk with LCHF and as stated his cholestrol end number may change it is the breakdown that counts always get that before agreeing to statins.

Take bloods just before first bite and 2 hrs later also the odd 1hr check. l use a couple of sticks a day and swap round checks Below is the times and numbers

fasting (getting up in the morning) under 5.5
Before meals 4-7
1hr after meals under 7.8
2 hr after meals under 6.6 (this from sugar 101)<<<< l use this
2 hr after meals under 8.5 (this from nhs)

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Dave, welcome. In time you will be glad you went to the doctors!

Yes it is all confusing and upsetting at first, things will settle down.

As for diet, first thing to know is that NHS advice is generally rubbish because they encourage you to eat too many carbs. You might as well eat spoons of sugar as a diabetic, carbs are the enemy - bread, potatoes, rice, pasta etc.

Have a look at www.dietdoctor.com/lchf for good information, which many if not most T2s on here follow to a greater or lesser degree.

Read around the forum and ask questions - many of us started in the same position.

What were your blood test results? If the GP didn't give them to you, ask for them. Sounds like you have been offered a meter and test strips on prescription, that's lucky, most don't and we have to buy our own.

Reactions: 5 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. You are not alone out there! The main thing about diet is to reduce the carbs. As others have said try to set yourself a daily limit to aim for; perhaps 150gm/day to start with and less if you can or want to. The occasional treat is fine. It's not easy to write a suitable food list but read the labels or Google the web for the amount of carbs in the foods you eat. Keep the carbs low-GI when you can which means minimising grain-based foods which have highly refined flour. Be careful with the NHS diet info you have been given. It's mostly full of rubbish which can make you diabetes worse. Carbs are the problem not fats. Good luck with the weight and blood sugar reduction

Reactions: 2 people
G

graj0

Morning Dave,
sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but don't panic, you've come to a good place. The best thing you did was go to the doctors, undiagnosed diabetes can, at worst, be a killer. You now know and can do something about it.
Please have a look at the eating well booklet and if it says that 50% of your calories should be in the form of carbohydrates, BIN IT!
A lot of diabetics will eat to their meter, possibly a pain in the **** to begin with but you need to know what makes your BG spike. There's plenty of obvious stuff that makes your BG rise and it's all got carbs in it, whether it's sugar of carb, they're interchangeable.
Personally I cut out bread/rice/pasta/potato and I don't panic when I have toast with my eggs or bacon, a bit of rice now again isn't going to make me panic either. For me, and it's important to note that we are all different, it meant that I was able to stop taking two different diabetic drugs and I was no longer discussing insulin with my GP (it wouldn't be an issue, just that diet change was so much easier). Not only that my total cholesterol dropped to 3.5 so the statins followed the other two drugs out the window. Six months on and my HbA1c is 6.4, Total Cholesterol is 5.4.
I learned more about diabetes after a few months on the forum than I did in 17 years of being diabetic, especially as I was always being told to eat carbs and in fact advised to increase my carbs.
If you've been prescribed metformin which is a good drug except for the side effects, lowering your carbs should help alleviate the runs, if it affects you the same way that it affected me. Keeping a food diary will help keep track of carbs. As for weight, that'll go if you cut the carbs.
Swimming is a brilliant idea. In the bad old days when I was eating what the doctor said I was swimming 1km 3-5 times a week, my BG had been 9.5 and it dropped to 7.5. Keep checking the forum, there's loads of information and when it comes to dietary advise, diabetics will have a better idea, we live with it.
Good Luck

Reactions: 12 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Dave the best thing you did was go to the doctors, now you know that you have type 2 diabetes you can do something about it. Another great start is joining this group:). I have learnt so much on here, fantastic information, fantastic members that will help and advise on any subject. So don't be afraid to ask questions, that's what this group is about helping each other!!

Welcome to the "family";)

Terry

Reactions: 9 people

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Dave, it can take a while to get your head around it all, there is suddenly so much to learn and absorb, it's a big change in lifestyle, but worth it. Later on you will probably feel better than you have done in quite a while, I know I do. But I did feel a bit odd when my blood sugar levels were coming down. You will be fine.

Reactions: 5 people

Davey J

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Thank you all for the advice,

I am really glad I put the post on here, I am going to give the Vivs Modified Atkins Diet ago. I can stick to a low carb diet no problem I did it once before just to lose weight. But it went out the window after a trip to the USA, but if it can help me with type 2 then I can stick with it.
I am not sure what the doctor& nurse will say, but after all I have read it seems to be the only consistent advice.

First swim in the morning..........

I will keep you all informed of my progress..............

Dave

P.S I will be on Metformin when they get some in................

Reactions: 10 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you start with one tablet, if you still have gut problems after a week. swap to the slow release, infact I would start on the slow release and save some toilet paper

Erika

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football, in fact most sports on the tele! Rude people and people without any sence of humour. Cold wet days. Being T2 diabetic!!!!!
Hi Dave, I too feel confused by what to eat and what not to eat! I sound like a newbie to T2 but in fact ive had it for 5yrs. Ive pushed it to the back of my mind for all this time. I have never tested my BS's, dont even know how to do it. I see both a doctor and diabetic nurse every 6mths. They check urine, weight, feet (every 12mths) and BP. I have never been told what to eat or what not to eat. Now I'm nearly 60 Im starting to become more health conscious and more self aware of my diabetes. But I dont know where to start. Im totally overwhelmed by all the different info. Up to now ive stuck my head in the sand and pretended everything is ok and T2 is no big deal. I ate all sweet stuff, bread, pasta rice etc etc.....Now Ive started Slimming World and lost 22lbs im slowly becoming more food aware. I would love to join a diabetes support group but there isnt one around here on an evening when im not working. Im desperate for help but I really dont know where to go to get it!!! Im afraid im still eating food that I know only too well is really bad for me such as chocolate.....I love chocolate! I think I may still be in denial but i am trying to be more sensible, but some days I crash and burn big time!!! I have a wonderful husband and a fantastic family but my T2 seems to be brushed to one side as being unimportant. This I know is my fault as i have always made little of any ailment I may have had. I would really appreciate any help or advice from others who may have been through this denial and finally gained control!!

Reactions: 8 people

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who value money over family/friendsip
I went to the doctors for the first in 6 years, with a pain in my chest which turned out to be a trapped nerve. But of course now I am there she sends me for all the tests, anyway turns out I am type 2.
I am over weight yes, but I feel fine in every way, went to see the nurse yesterday who was going to sit me down and tell me what I should do to control it and sort out my tablets.
Half hour with nurse who showed me how to use the pricky thing to test my blood for glucose. And she gave me a eating well booklet. I was then told my prescription would not be in till later in the week and I would need two further visits to the nurse to explain things further.
So I leave the surgery not much better informed than when I went in, ok if I do have type 2 I want to do something about it ASAP, like other people have said there are so many conflicting ideas on what you should eat.
Is there not a simple list of things you can eat and things that you should not eat, I am not too bothered about having the odd treat I would sooner just cut out anything that is no good for me. I thought I had a healthy diet as it was. As I said I am over weight and I am not about to the London marathon or join a gym and the only bike I am going to ride has an engine. I am going to try swimming a few times a week.

Bye for now

Dave...........

I totally felt the same regards food, in fact for me that has been the worst thing. I too was given the eat well book which is rubbish, really not helpful at all it only gives you examples of a few foods some of which aren't very relevant nor helpful to blood sugar levels. The first few weeks I got myself into a terrible tizz over all the conflicting advice I ended up in tears of frustration :( there seems to be so many approaches - low carb, lchf, low calorie, exchange diets, gl diets, low gietc. Then on top of that you feel you should be losing weight as well as getting blood sugars down, it's enough to make anyone want to reach for a doughnut lol j/king

I wish diabetes uk would pull their finger out and give us learner drivers some good solid starting advice.

Reading what approaches other people here have taken however has been very helpful, tho I think to a certain extent we all have to experiment and find which foods suit us that we actually like and a way of eating that is sustainable for life.

Don't let yourself get swamped and overwhelmed with diabetes and how complicated it seems at first, I'd personally recommend you get a good book and read it at a pace that suits you. I was recommended 'diabetes, the first year' I actually prefer 'diabetes for dummies' as I felt it didn't overcomplicate things, then I have gone on to read others that cover things in more depth.

Were you given the diabetes type 2 handbook from diabetes uk? If not that offers a nice very basic overview of what care you should expect to receive, although I'd skip the food part it will confuse u more! :)

Reactions: 10 people

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i have been on the atkins low carb from recommendations when i first got type 2, 6 months im at 6 stone weight loss never felt better and about to end my meds so i can say you wont regret it one bit well done and good luck xx

Reactions: 14 people

Davey J

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Hi Dave, I too feel confused by what to eat and what not to eat! I sound like a newbie to T2 but in fact ive had it for 5yrs. Ive pushed it to the back of my mind for all this time. I have never tested my BS's, dont even know how to do it. I see both a doctor and diabetic nurse every 6mths. They check urine, weight, feet (every 12mths) and BP. I have never been told what to eat or what not to eat. Now I'm nearly 60 Im starting to become more health conscious and more self aware of my diabetes. But I dont know where to start. Im totally overwhelmed by all the different info. Up to now ive stuck my head in the sand and pretended everything is ok and T2 is no big deal. I ate all sweet stuff, bread, pasta rice etc etc.....Now Ive started Slimming World and lost 22lbs im slowly becoming more food aware. I would love to join a diabetes support group but there isnt one around here on an evening when im not working. Im desperate for help but I really dont know where to go to get it!!! Im afraid im still eating food that I know only too well is really bad for me such as chocolate.....I love chocolate! I think I may still be in denial but i am trying to be more sensible, but some days I crash and burn big time!!! I have a wonderful husband and a fantastic family but my T2 seems to be brushed to one side as being unimportant. This I know is my fault as i have always made little of any ailment I may have had. I would really appreciate any help or advice from others who may have been through this denial and finally gained control!!
Erika
Thanks for your reply, I know how you must feel I think I could have gone down that road as well. But I am going try this low carb diet as I hate going to the doctors and hospital even more.
Good Luck
Dave

Davey J

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
i have been on the atkins low carb from recommendations when i first got type 2, 6 months im at 6 stone weight loss never felt better and about to end my meds so i can say you wont regret it one bit well done and good luck xx
Hi Cath
I hope I can do as well as you.

Dave..

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

Hi Erika, welcome. It's never too late to start doing something about it, but I think you do need to make some more radical changes if you want to see more benefits (very well done on losing the 22lbs!). And once you take control you can (must) convince your family that this is important, both for you and for them. I get the impression that you want to do something more, but it will take discipline. You will have to drop the sweets and chocolate (except maybe the occasional piece of 85%) and significantly reduce your intake of carbohydrates. See www.dietdoctor.com/lchf for example.

You have made a great decision by coming on here, and believe me you will get all the support you need. But fundamentally it's up to you to make those lifestyle changes.

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who value money over family/friendsip
Wow that is fantastic, well done you!!!!

Mad hatter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Bye for now

Dave...........

Bye for now

Dave...........

Hi Dave I'm going through a similar experience not excepting my condition (type 1) so I know how you feel.

I'm sure everything will work out in time. They say it's like loosing someone and you go through different stages. The first one being denial.

All the best

Louise

Reactions: 6 people