I am getting referred for a pump!

lesley1978

Hi All,

I have been type 1 for 13 years now and have always had erratic bs levels! I have been thinking about going on a pump for a good few years but have always been put off about the thought of being permanently attached to something!

Anyway, I have now decided that this won't bother me and I just want to get myself sorted out. Although my hba1c hasn't been that bad (came back this morning at 6.7) my sugars swing from as low as 1.2 up through to off the meter.

Saturday nights before bed I was 20.7 then 6.7 when I got up yesterday am. Throughout the day yesterday I had 3 hypo's and I am absolutley shattered now. They just seem to do what they want and enough is enough!

The nurse is writing a letter today requested for me to be referred for a pump (I am 31 by the way).

I was just wondering how long it took for you to go through the whole referral process to getting your pump (if you were successful).

From a very depressed lesley x

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Great news Lesley, definitely something to look forward to for you. I've "only" been on a pump 5 years and it's transformed my control. My referral took about 6 months, but it was a funding issue only as I was already seeing the pump consultant. I think it does vary depending on your PCT, some have had theirs much quicker, others seem to battle for years. Any problems or questions just yell!

lesley1978

I really hope that I get accepted for it. My consultants seem to think that I would be an ideal case and apparantly the take up in Warrington is quite good.

I am just at the point now where I feel like crying! It is getting me down so much! I am trying to lose weight for my wedding in 12 months time and I am finding it so hard! I am eating healthy and exercising but don't seem to see much reward and then my sugar goes low so I eat sugar or I go high and I need more insulin - both resulting in minimal weight loss!

sorry, I know we have all been throguh this but I just need to vent a bit cause it's doing my head in!

Thanks for listening guys!

x

ChocFish

((((Lesley)))) I am afraid being type 2 I am no use to you at all but I am sure that you will get so much support from other pump users and you can lose weight too. There are very experienced people in here, so dont despair, you are in the right place to get the help you need.

Just wanted to say I care and wish you all the best, thats all

Love from

Karen x

Sweet3x

I'm really jealous! I've been wanting a pump since I can remember - my dad was one of the first people to be a guinea pig back in the 70's, and try them out - he didnt like it, but that was simply because of the size, noise and aggravation. When I got diabetes at 12, I thought I'd get a pump. Imagine my disappointment when I didn't. I nagged, and nagged about having one. It's taken me 25 years to finally get a glimpse of a possibility of having one. And that is from a doctor here in France. Pumps are expensive, which I think is why they try not to issue them so much at the moment. In 5 or 6 years time, I see nearly every diabetic with one (mind, I said that 15 years ago!)

You should go for it, and relish the relative freedom that it'll give you. Enjoy it, for all of us that have yet to get one ;)

lesley1978

I don't yet know whether I will actually get one. I beleive that you have to go through various channels for approval etc. I hope that I do get one but this is only the first stage in what I see to be a very long process. I just hope that I'm not waiting around for ages for a decision to be made either way.