1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I am going to try the low carb diet but

Discussion in 'Low Calorie Diets' started by Lily47, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Lily47

Lily47 · Member

How do you know how to cut your insulin? Ive been type 1 for 41 years and was always told I needed carbs. It seems weird to me to suddenly cut them out, wont my insulin (as I need so much) cause me to be unconcious all the time? I take 45 units of Hypurin mix in the morning along with 5 units of Hypurin neutral. Then about an hour later I have about 8 more units of neutral. I leave the insulin then until about 10pm when I see what my levels are and have 8 or so units of mix. Isnt it the carbs that balance out the insulin or vice versa? I am a "complex" diabetic so its all very hard for me to grasp. Thanks in advance.

2. colacard

colacard Type 1 · Active Member

I haven't heard of your type of insulin my daughter is on lantus and novorapid and uses basal bolus to determine how much insulin she uses. I would talk to your DNurse about this regime as it allows my daughter to eat more or less what she wants.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook