Type 2 I am on my 4th week of Intermittent Fasting (IF).

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
I am a T2D prescribed 2 x 850 mg of Metformin for the diabetes and 2 x 300 mg per day for neuropathy of the feet and hands, diagnosed in 2013.. My annual HbA1c since December 2015 has been 34, 35, 38 and 38. on the blood test result below 42 is non-diabetic, 42-47 pre-diabetic and over 48 diabetic. T2D control range is noted as 48-59. On paper the drugs are keeping me within non-diabetic range, but the concern is the creeping annual increase, hence the attempt to reverse the T2D with IF. I test my blood sugar levels using a standard blood sugar monitor and weigh myself on the same machine first thing in the morning.

Started 23rd February 2019 with daily readings between 6 to 8 mmol/L, and weighing around 95-96 kilos. Dropped breakfast and substituted lunch with a predominantly kale,spinach, nut, cinnamon and turmeric juice, dinner as normal. 2nd week dropped lunch and moved the juice either close to or with dinner. Trying to reduce carbs at dinner and introducing more fish with in diet.

There has been a regular and often daily weight reduction and a further regular reduction in blood sugar levels. 3rd week added vitamins to and with the juice, fish oil, magnesium, B1 and B12, chromium, selenium and D. Also added spirulina. Weight loss and blood sugar levels reduction maintained at constant rate, cannot see a material difference with the additives.

2nd week, came off medication.

Current weight 89 kilos, i.e. lost 6-7 kilos in 4 weeks. Blood sugar levels between 5-6 and regularly finishing immediately before first meal at 5.3. Even saw readings between 4-5 for the first time ever. Neuropathy better than when on medication.

Anyone else fasting? How are you doing with your weight and T2D?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My main reason for fasting, is to give my body a rest and not overfeed myself.
I have learned a lot from fasting and the unnecessary amount of food most people eat! My body has adapted well to intermittent fasting, the weight loss and control of blood glucose levels is a bonus!

Reactions: KookieMunchster

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
My main reason for fasting, is to give my body a rest and not overfeed myself.
I have learned a lot from fasting and the unnecessary amount of food most people eat! My body has adapted well to intermittent fasting, the weight loss and control of blood glucose levels is a bonus!
Giving your body a rest from eating is the same as time restricted eating. If you can take your time restriction to above 16 hours, cell and more particularly stem cell regeneration is given a real boost, which will have added health benefits. In addition if you can adapt you eating habits to avoid sugar, then that with will contribute to long term low blood sugar levels and healthy eating.

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Giving your body a rest from eating is the same as time restricted eating. If you can take your time restriction to above 16 hours, cell and more particularly stem cell regeneration is given a real boost, which will have added health benefits. In addition if you can adapt you eating habits to avoid sugar, then that with will contribute to long term low blood sugar levels and healthy eating.
Hi, @aealexandrou,
I agree about the part about fasting and helping your immune system, the benefits are really good as I have found out!
As for not eating sugar, not likely, I have done without sugar and anything similar for ten years and have been very low carbing for over five years! You have to realise with a condition like mine, not spiking is significantly healthier for me, avoiding carbs, even so called healthy carbs are really bad for me! And I repeat, avoiding spikes in my blood glucose levels is the best treatment for me!
Carbs still produce higher spikes than most sugars!

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Hi, @aealexandrou,
I agree about the part about fasting and helping your immune system, the benefits are really good as I have found out!
As for not eating sugar, not likely, I have done without sugar and anything similar for ten years and have been very low carbing for over five years! You have to realise with a condition like mine, not spiking is significantly healthier for me, avoiding carbs, even so called healthy carbs are really bad for me! And I repeat, avoiding spikes in my blood glucose levels is the best treatment for me!
Carbs still produce higher spikes than most sugars!
Are you still diabetic?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are you still diabetic?

No mate, my condition is non diabetic, though if it is not controlled T2 can develop alongside. I was misdiagnosed as T2 in 2009, and after a long battle with my surgery, got referred (again), and my current endocrinologist, done all the tests necessary for a true diagnosis.

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
No breakfast for the last 3 1/2 years
I haven't missed breakfast, lunch is sometimes difficult, largely because of well meaning pressure from those around me to eat something with them.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't missed breakfast, lunch is sometimes difficult, largely because of well meaning pressure from those around me to eat something with them.
So what did you mean when you said
Dropped breakfast and substituted lunch
?
Personally I wouldn't juice anything ever... just eat food. or not eat food of course..
You don't seem to mention any meat in your diet is that for a reason?

meJulie

I have done my first omad today having all my Marcos in one meal has given me a stomach ache, any advice?

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
I have done my first omad today having all my Marcos in one meal has given me a stomach ache, any advice?
Usually a stomach ache would indicated that you started a major fast a little early and have not weaned yourself off the carbs first. Its best to start by switching your food to non/low carbs, particularly breakfast. That will keep you satiated during the day and assist in the transit to no fasting. Once you have done this for a few days skip breakfast and see how you get on. You may in the first few days experience being hungry, but hopefully that will be without actual pain. Once your used to not eating breakfast, you can then try skipping lunch, or moving lunch closer to your dinner time. The goal is to have a short fasting window. Provided your diet is relatively low-carb, the amount and what you eat on a time restricted diet is not as important as the your eating window. If you on omad and experience pains on each occasion then you need to go back to having lunch. Add vegetables to your diet to ensure that you get the vitamins and nutrients you need (particularly potassium). Supplements will also be helpful such as magnesium, B1, B12 (strongly recommended if you are on metformin).

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
So what did you mean when you said

?
Personally I wouldn't juice anything ever... just eat food. or not eat food of course..
You don't seem to mention any meat in your diet is that for a reason?

It appears to me that your body needs a substantial amount of vitamins and minerals, which are predominantly found in vegetables, kale, spinach, watercrest, etc., seeds and nuts. Even without time restricted eating it would be difficult to eat these in sufficient quantities to make any difference. Juicing them, but not much as to kill the fibre, adding a little extra virgin oil, apple cider vinegar and full fat natural yogurt, is an easy way to consume them in one or two goes, usually with my main meal. I use a nutribullet which allows me to juice simply by adding water to my ingredients. I never use milk or fruit juice. Coming from a Mediterranean background, food wouldn't be food without meat, which is always present in one omad.

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Usually a stomach ache would indicated that you started a major fast a little early and have not weaned yourself off the carbs first. Its best to start by switching your food to non/low carbs, particularly breakfast. That will keep you satiated during the day and assist in the transit to no fasting. Once you have done this for a few days skip breakfast and see how you get on. You may in the first few days experience being hungry, but hopefully that will be without actual pain. Once your used to not eating breakfast, you can then try skipping lunch, or moving lunch closer to your dinner time. The goal is to have a short fasting window. Provided your diet is relatively low-carb, the amount and what you eat on a time restricted diet is not as important as the your eating window. If you on omad and experience pains on each occasion then you need to go back to having lunch. Add vegetables to your diet to ensure that you get the vitamins and nutrients you need (particularly potassium). Supplements will also be helpful such as magnesium, B1, B12 (strongly recommended if you are on metformin).
My apologies, I meant "a short eating window" not "a short fasting window". Obviously the longer the fast the better for activating your cells and stem cells.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I intermittent fast every day and low carb, not lost any weight, I live in hope!!!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It appears to me that your body needs a substantial amount of vitamins and minerals, which are predominantly found in vegetables, kale, spinach, watercrest, etc., seeds and nuts.
Not sure I agree with that but...
Coming from a Mediterranean background, food wouldn't be food without meat, which is always present in one omad.
That I can agree with wholeheartedly..
I hardly eat any of the rabbit food that you list so whether we need them is a point of contention. I would still rather eat them than have them in juice form however.

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I got diagnosed type 2 this week but won’t have my appointment with my GP where she can go over everything with me til after Easter. This two weeks I’ve gone very low calorie as low carb and I’m going to alternate day fast to see what it does to my blood sugar. So far I’ve tested after not eating anything for 36 hours (that’s including sleeping obviously!) and my mmol/L when I tested it for the very first time was 6.8. So I’m not worried about hypo attacks. :)

In the past when I’ve had to drop a couple of dress sizes quickly and sustain it for a limited period of time (ie to fit into an outfit etc) I’ve had the most success with alternate day fasting. So once I know all my bloods and FINGERS CROSSED my GP will decide I don’t need medication or insulin, I’ll have a go at returning to that but long term and with much fewer carbs!

Blueness_se63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am a T2D prescribed 2 x 850 mg of Metformin for the diabetes and 2 x 300 mg per day for neuropathy of the feet and hands, diagnosed in 2013.. My annual HbA1c since December 2015 has been 34, 35, 38 and 38. on the blood test result below 42 is non-diabetic, 42-47 pre-diabetic and over 48 diabetic. T2D control range is noted as 48-59. On paper the drugs are keeping me within non-diabetic range, but the concern is the creeping annual increase, hence the attempt to reverse the T2D with IF. I test my blood sugar levels using a standard blood sugar monitor and weigh myself on the same machine first thing in the morning.

Started 23rd February 2019 with daily readings between 6 to 8 mmol/L, and weighing around 95-96 kilos. Dropped breakfast and substituted lunch with a predominantly kale,spinach, nut, cinnamon and turmeric juice, dinner as normal. 2nd week dropped lunch and moved the juice either close to or with dinner. Trying to reduce carbs at dinner and introducing more fish with in diet.

There has been a regular and often daily weight reduction and a further regular reduction in blood sugar levels. 3rd week added vitamins to and with the juice, fish oil, magnesium, B1 and B12, chromium, selenium and D. Also added spirulina. Weight loss and blood sugar levels reduction maintained at constant rate, cannot see a material difference with the additives.

2nd week, came off medication.

Current weight 89 kilos, i.e. lost 6-7 kilos in 4 weeks. Blood sugar levels between 5-6 and regularly finishing immediately before first meal at 5.3. Even saw readings between 4-5 for the first time ever. Neuropathy better than when on medication.

Anyone else fasting? How are you doing with your weight and T2D?

I’ve been intermittent fasting since 1st Feb, I eat 2 meals a day with in an 8hour period having a maximum 60 grams carbs a day each meal contains 100 grams of protein and coconut oil with plenty of leafy green veg and 2 fruit snacks a day. My current HBA1C has just come back at 46mmols so will be stopping the metformin.

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
I’ve been intermittent fasting since 1st Feb, I eat 2 meals a day with in an 8hour period having a maximum 60 grams carbs a day each meal contains 100 grams of protein and coconut oil with plenty of leafy green veg and 2 fruit snacks a day. My current HBA1C has just come back at 46mmols so will be stopping the metformin.
Excellent reading. Has there been any weight loss? And how do you use the coconut oil?