I am terrified.

Lorza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was a terrifying 13.4 last night. 7.7 this morning. I'm new to this and very scared. No idea what to eat. Addicted to sweet food ... Feel like my life is at an end.

Reactions: 13 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Was a terrifying 13.4 last night. 7.7 this morning. I'm new to this and very scared. No idea what to eat. Addicted to sweet food ... Feel like my life is at an end.

Hi Lorza. I've sent you a PM. Try not to worry. You've come to the right place to learn about effectively managing your diabetes. I'll tag @daisy1, who gives all new members a welcome pack. I'm hoping the on-shift moderator will move this post to a thread of your own. It will be seen by more forum members, and you're more likely to get replies.
Warmest wishes. Aj10

Last edited by a moderator:

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try not to panic @Lorza, everyone on this forum has been where you are and knows how frightening that diagnosis is. You are not alone, you are now part of our group and we all try to help look after each other.

I was diagnosed in April and was so scared too. I have a just turned 2 your old son and I was terrified that I wouldn't be around for him in the future. I'm now a few months down the line and my blood glucose levels are normal (although I'm still diabetic) and I'm not scared any more. I won't lie, I do still have the odd twitchy day where I worry about the future but I'm still relatively new to this journey too.

Generally significantly cutting down the carbs (pasta, rice, potatoes, bread) helps to bring your blood glucose levels down. Some people need medication to give them a helping hand as well. Why don't you tell us a bit about yourself and the sort of things you have been eating since diagnosis and we might be able to offer some guidance.

Reactions: 6 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Lorza

Hello Lorza and welcome to the forum :) At first diabetes can be pretty scary but as you start to learn more about it (especially on this forum) you will become used to it. You can ask for all the advice you want/need here and someone will help. To get you started, here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helps. The information on carbohydrates is particularly useful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

tow

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have all been there! I started at 19...total shock as I lived a fairly healthy life and BMI around 21

However I liked the chocolate and sweet stuff

Have a look in here for food ideas and get a couple of recipe books, There are lots of salads, fish, meats and cheese options

The sugary treats are basically a drug. Sugar kicks your brain into similar responses and delivers reward feelings that basically addict you. Once you stop eating sugar it will take around 6 weeks and your brain stops craving it.

I was in fits of chocolate craving for the first few weeks - now I'm totally over it.

Really this was the best thing to happen to me, diet, exercise and lifestyle massively improved and I feel like a new person. So stay positive you will beat the high levels and in a couple of months you will feel fantastic

russ51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
walking
i am quite often around double figures in the morning usually 13 or around there, its hard i too like sweet things, have a word with your nurse keep a recored you may be insulin intolerant which will see a big increase in your insulin units, i am 60 morning and 80 at night keep smiling it will get better

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are stronger than you think ... take one day at a time as you learn how to take control of your diabetes ..

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars, dishonesty and general bad people.
------------------- your life is not at an end its only just begun sweetheart . 13.4 is a bit above what your expected to be perfect is 5-6 7 -9 is average and aiming for single digits is how it works - as long as you are injecting before you eat and the right amounts there's no need to worry. how ever like I said you have one of two ways to look at this - you either true to your self as in no lieing about what you eat ( be comfortable with who you are - Even I after 26 years of having it has a sweet tooth. (doughnuts and flapjacks my killers :) oo and biscuits ) the best thing to do is learn your insulin really well and learn when to test that is appropriate. you got this just need to talk to your doc and hold your ground you love sweet stuff tough help me please or maybe a compromise Hi i love sweet stuff this is what I like whats better for me ? and what do i take or how can i manage this?
see its not so bad you'll be a shoe in :)

Vics

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Lorza,

Please don't worry. I used to get worries when I got over 7 but now only if I'm over 20!! The idea is to stay in single figures but actually, as long as you're testing and aiming to keep your bloods below 7, if you're above for a few hours, you'll be absolutely fine.
Welcome to the forum, it WILL get easier, I promise

X

Reactions: 2 people

geoffh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It is terrifying. It will change your life, but for the better. For me, it's the kick I've been needing for so many years.

I'm starting to realise how much of the world around us is geared towards sugar and carbs. We're conditioned by marketing and ur society to believe that's the only way we can eat, but it's not true!! You can enjoy food without sugar/carbs!

I've also found since cutting out sugar (which was a BIG part of my life) that I appreciate the natural sweetness in other foods now. I used to think unflavoured Greek-style yoghurt was bitter but not now! It's delicious!

Don't panic. Tell us what you're going through - this is a great community and we're here to help.

:)

Reactions: 4 people

soconfused

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dont panic. I was fiagnosed 10 years ago and only just beginning to understand what to fo right. I am addicted to sweet food too. I reward myself once a week now and my readings are getting better. I have had readings of 24 which terrified me.

KazV1

13 is nothing, dont get bent out of shape over it, youre gonna have a lot worse, its no big deal, just bring it down again