I cannot believe it!!!

andybob

:x After recently being diagnosed with type 2 I was given a meter and all of the paraphonalia that went with it... free prescription form; prescritions etc. I was told of the importance of te3sting as a newly diagnosed type 2 ie to find what foods were good and bad and to check meds... all of which you will all know.

What I can't believe is the number of people that come onto this forum who's GPs don't give them meters etc and really don't look after them the way my diabetic nurse does. I can't believe how type 2 let alone type 1s are being denied testing strips.

Why isn't there a standard set for ALL NHS patients. We all pay the same NI contributions (obviously different amounts depending on salary etc) so why are people being denied what can really be seen as basic care!! Don't they realise that they are storing up problems for later on and this will cost the NHS alot more. Why does healthcare come down to money all the time?

Well rant over. I'm just grateful for the care I get from my healthcare team. Ive signed online petitions re this very issue and think it's about time all diabetics got the same care!!!

Andy

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are so lucky!

I agree with every single thing you have said!

I was diagnosed last week. I was refused a meter and I have no idea when I will see a dietician so I am just muddling through the best I can at the moment. The advice and information available on this site has been terrific and I don't think I could manage without it.

Ausra

You are absolutelly right.. it is hard for me too to put such things in my head, to see a reason why would any healthcare team behave like this.. I have a great team too, i get any meds i need. I think everyone should, as long as they don't go asking for something impossible..or being rude..not wanting to compromise..it's YOUR health after all..

Chocoholicnomore, sorry to hear you have joined us..not that we don't want you here :) It's hard at the beggining but things will go back to normal soon. Are you type 1 or 2? Don't worry about the dietician, you will become one yourself!:) Best of Blood Sugar to you!!

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Ausra

I'm type 2 and been put on metformin. I have just ordered pocket size carb counter (following advice from this forum)so hopefully that will help me. It's all confusing so far!

Zosema

Hi Chocoholicnomore

I've also just been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, in the last couple of weeks, and been put on Metformin. I am due to see the nurse for the first time next Tuesday - I couldn't agree more about the sense of confusion. I feel like I'm going to have start living a very different life to the one I have been (and, consequently, so is my husband as I'm not up for cooking separate meals!!). Still hoping I'm going to wake up and find this is all a bad dream!

Take care,
Zosema

starlight1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people who have no manners
i have bee diagnosed for a year now and my dn has not given me any advice how to control diabetes and blood sugars. i have retinopathy now and she told me to keep an eye on blood sugars, i said how can i do that when i dont have a monitor to check them. After a short pause the dn then prescribed me a monitor and strips. I have learnt all i need to know about diabetes on this forum and i am so grateful for everyones input. I hope you can learn as much as you can from here . good luck x

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Zosema

I have replied to you on another thread.
I am knew to forums as well as diabetes and I find all the threads confusing.
I have already been to the nurse at the diabetic clinic (in our GP surgery) and am none the wiser.
As we are both in the same boat and going through the same things together, I wondered if you might want to private message me ( I think that means we can talk to each other) and we can share our experiences and information.
I feel lost and confused too.

Chocoholicnomore