I cannot control my eating of junk food

Troglodyte

Hello everyone,

I am a working executive, working long hours and addicted to fast food, usually eating while I'm in the office. I seem to eat whether I'm hungry or not and have got to a stage where I am unable to control my eating habit. Unfortunately, my weight is increasing and I'm being forced to buy clothes a size larger than normal. I can devote a little time to exercise, but is there a recommended safe way to lose weight? I've heard of all these diets, such as Atkins, that don't sound very healthy at all.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi troglodyte, and welcome to the forum first of all.

My first thought on reading your post was - carbohydrate addict! I think many people have felt as you feel, a physysical compulsion to eat foods which are high in refined carbohydrates, sugars and starches. One of the immediate consequences is that you will elevate your insulin levels significantly, which is harmful in many ways. One of these is that insulin acts to convert glucose to fat and therefore weight gain. Another is that elevated insulin will cause you to crave more sugars and starches, and so the cycle continues.

You don't say whether or not you are diabetic?

I would suggest you read a thread on the forum called 'Success Stories'. There you'll read many examples of people who have discovered that the key to controlling their condition, losing weight, and kicking the cravings is simply to eat less carbs, and more protein and healthy fats instead. It's inspirational stuff, so please check it out.

Keep in touch and tell us what you think.

All the best,

fergus

Katharine

Apart from straight dietary advice some psychological reinforcement could help.

Paul McKenna and Marisa Peer both have books with hypnotic cds in them for about £10. Both are called something like "You can be thin". or " I can make you thin".

You have a common problem. Interestingly it is possible to eat fast food and get thin. You just have to fling away the buns.

Charles Clark has a book, "Eating fast food on the high protein diet". (something like that!)