I did it! Gave myself my first insulin jab.

ClaireG 06

I went to the DN last night and had to inject 2 units infront of her. This morning though i had to do everything myself and managed to inject my 10 units with no problem :D
I've just had to pick up a few bits from Morrisons and managed to get a little Hello Kitty bag/pencil case that fits my meter, pen, BG diary, spare needles, a empty test pot for sharps and some glucose tabs and a small bag of oat cake snack things in :D The bag was also go into my handbag.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well done Claire :D - I'm not on insulin but can imagine how nervous you were - you will soon be a seasoned pro!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Claire the first one is always the hardest I guess, I was shown how to inject in hospital and it took me at least 20 minutes to pluck up the courage to 'stick the needle in' I was such a wuss :lol: I thought the nurse who was advising me would have lost her patients with me but thankfully she was very calm and encouraging, seen it all before no doubt :roll:

Any way glad it all went well and you have repeated the operation today on your own
clap.gif

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya claire, well done you! bet you feel proud ? you have been positive and even got yourself well organised with your 'kit' bag. Remember to always leave the insulin you are using out of the fridge n at room temp. or they can really sting when too cold. Anna.x :)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's like bunjy jumping. The best thing to do is just switch your brain off, and do it.

Oh - and DON'T LOOK DOWN!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Well done Claire :) You had to pluck up a lot of courage to do the first one but now it's a lot easier. I don't have to inject insulin but I remember I was a real baby about doing my first finger-prick test. Once again, when I had done it once it was OK for the second one. Now I'm quite happy doing it as I want to know what my BG is. I understand that the finger-prick hurts more than the injection.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great stuff Claire! :D

Nigel

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done,
for most people I'm sure the thought i of it is far worse than the reality.

ill3st

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congrats Claire, the hardest hurdle is done!

My first jab I done it in front of my now wife and the DN, stabbed myself so quickly you should have seen them pair flinching lol.

marigold36

well done. I have had to inject myself in the past for other things and its very hard to pluck up the courage to actualy do it.

ClaireG 06

Awww thank you everyone :D It's helped so much being able to come here and ask questions and get support from everyone :D
Patch i'd rather do 10000 insulin jabs than a bunjee jump :lol: :lol: