JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have noticed this morning that the skin on some of my fingers and palms of both hands had taken on a distinct yellow colouration.

On looking it up I found that it can be caused my several conditions ie thyroid problems or kidney and liver disease but one of the conditions mentioned was diabetes though normaly when BG is high which mine is not.

"Yellow palms and soles: A rare skin manifestation in diabetes mellitus"

"Carotenemia with its yellowish-red tint is found in diabetes. The frequency of this phenomenon is unknown and the relationship between skin color and blood carotenoid level is controversial. Frequently the suspicion of diabetes arising from inspection of the skin color is in fact confirmed by the usual laboratory tests. As it is known that increased intake of carotenoid-rich fruit and vegetables leads to the yellowish-red skin discoloration, in the present case the patient was a known diabetic with uncontrolled blood sugar and showed the yellowish skin discoloration in spite of not taking any carotenoid-rich foods. After controlling his blood sugar level the patient showed improvement in his skin discoloration."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3830339/

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have noticed this morning that the skin on some of my fingers and palms of both hands had taken on a distinct yellow colouration.

On looking it up I found that it can be caused my several conditions ie thyroid problems or kidney and liver disease but one of the conditions mentioned was diabetes though normaly when BG is high which mine is not.

"Carotenemia with its yellowish-red tint is found in diabetes. The frequency of this phenomenon is unknown and the relationship between skin color and blood carotenoid level is controversial. Frequently the suspicion of diabetes arising from inspection of the skin color is in fact confirmed by the usual laboratory tests. As it is known that increased intake of carotenoid-rich fruit and vegetables leads to the yellowish-red skin discoloration, in the present case the patient was a known diabetic with uncontrolled blood sugar and showed the yellowish skin discoloration in spite of not taking any carotenoid-rich foods. After controlling his blood sugar level the patient showed improvement in his skin discoloration."

How are the whites of your eyes and without being too indelicate, have any of our outputs (or should that be outpoots - sorry!) changed at all?

You know what comes next,.........................? Have it checked out John, You could do without anything else causing bumps in the metaphoric road.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Same question as above about the eyes, in particular the corners of your eyes, any yellowish colour there?

And are you a big eater of carotenoid foods?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Same question as above about the eyes, in particular the corners of your eyes, any yellowish colour there?

And are you a big eater of carotenoid foods?

No eyes are normal colour.

And no do not consume large amounts of carotenoid foods all of us here consume mostly the same meals and non of us are big eaters of them.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Bilirubin gives that effect too. I had that when my gall bladder failed.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It's taken a while but most of the yellowish tinge has gone now. Still have no idea what caused it though.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not beets not eaten beetroot in months.

Bilirubin I don't know about had no tests for that but it is a possibility will try and get an appointment and ask doctor about it..

John, you will find your bilirubin levels in your liver function tests that you should have when you have your HbA1c tests.