I don’t have diabetes but my blood sugar is 151 about two and a half hours after eating ice cream

Kpop7

About a year and a half ago I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia. I started to eat better and it got a lot better. I’ve been feeling better so I (stupidly) had ice cream. The ice cream had a lot of syrup and brownie in it. About two hours after eating it I checked my blood sugar out of curiosity and it was 151. Do you think things could have escalated or can a **** ton of sugar do that to a healthy person without diabetes? Also I don’t know if this is related but I’ve lost weight and I thought that it’s because my insulin resistance has gotten better. Maybe it’s related?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Perhaps it's worth revisiting that diagnosis and getting bloods done to see what is going on. All that sugar can do that to a supposedly health person, but if you are losing weight without trying then that I think makes it worth while to find out why.

@Brunneria may be able to offer some advice.

M

Member496333

If you've been managing your RH with a low-carb diet, that could explain both the weight loss and a possible glucose sparing reaction to the ice cream, rather than it necessarily being a pathological resistance one.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are so many variables - from portion size to what else you had eaten, fat content of the ice cream, and so on.

I suggest you do some systematic blood glucose testing, alongside a food diary and carb counting, and see what is going on.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I don't think a single reading is too much to worry about, specially if you're having carbs that you are not used to. But it's worth doing more tests to see if it is a one off and if the weight loss isn't desired and/or continues you should definitely see a doctor.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Kpop7,

Interesting observation.

Personally, due to the fat in most in most ice creams, I would expect a longer-lasting spike in blood sugars than for carby foods with less fat.

I believe it is also important to consider the last meal effect. If you have been eating low carb for a while, the body has started to release less insulin in response to a meal (as it has learned it doesn't need as much insulin), so it needs a few days of higher carb eating to rev up insulin production.

So, this might this might be a quite normal response in the context of low-carb eating. I might be totally of track though with my response -- as you didn't mention what you meant by "better" eating.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm assuming that's 151 to mg/dl or for the benefit on my muddled mind or rather the units I use on my libre 8.3 mmol/L. If you look at https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html it says under 7.5 at 90 minutes is non diabetic. You might like to consult your GP as some point.

Hi,

I don't disagree on the maff.
Some meters can be upto or around 15% out, (manufactures allow this variable?)
I know my BG meter is higher compared to a calibrated NHS issue & my A1c prediction on the app concurs too? so we could be looking at something like 7.1 on the OP's meter?

I agree with @Brunneria with systematic testing & logging the food & numbers.
There are some great phone apps to help keep track of the BGs & diet.
It helps an HCP to help you, @Kpop7 . With regards to professional consultation.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want ice cream then making some of the real stuff would be advisable - it is basically egg custard frozen and churned, with whatever flavourings you like - the addition of loads of carbs to it is just to make it as cheaply as possible and modern bought icecreams are to the real thing as a cheap margarine spread is to proper butter.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
About a year and a half ago I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia. I started to eat better and it got a lot better. I’ve been feeling better so I (stupidly) had ice cream. The ice cream had a lot of syrup and brownie in it. About two hours after eating it I checked my blood sugar out of curiosity and it was 151. Do you think things could have escalated or can a **** ton of sugar do that to a healthy person without diabetes? Also I don’t know if this is related but I’ve lost weight and I thought that it’s because my insulin resistance has gotten better. Maybe it’s related?

If it was that high at two hours, I just wonder how high the spike was!
Did you have symptoms from the sudden glucose or the resulting drop?

Kpop7

I was doing low carb diet for a little while, but the past month or so I havnt really been watching my carbs, I’ve just been eating less. Not eating a **** ton of snacks like I used to if that makes any sense. I started taking B1 and magnesium everyday because I was told it would help with my blood sugar and after being on that for about two months surprisingly I felt a lot better. So then I stupidly started eating worse because I felt like a B1 deficiency might have been why I was having insulin isssues in the first place. I’m going to start eating better again and I’m also going to get a glucose tolerance test to see if anything shows up.

Kpop7

That’s what I was thinking! And I actually isn’t really have any symptoms of low blood sugar that night, or a drop. I just got really tired then about three hours after eating I went to bed. It did have ALOT of sugary stuff in the ice cream. Syrup, sprinkles, brownie. Yea it was stupid of me to eat that lol. I was just surprised after two and a half hours it was 150. I’ll get a glucose tolerance test and try that to see if anything is going on.

Reactions: Lamont D