I don't understand?

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
Got to much time on my hands so been doing a lot of thinking....

I have only been on insulin for about 3 weeks HUMULIN M3 and already my DSN has said she thinks my pancreas is dead and i have to see a Consultant.
Surely after only 3 weeks you cant tell and why wouldn't she try me on anything else?
I'm not doubting she's wrong or anything, i just dont understand why i haven't been tried on a different insulin.
Where it comes to insulin i haven't a clue.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re: I DONT UNDERSTAND?

I don't really know what she means... maybe she feels that you seem to a need for more insulin than she expected and that gaining control is taking time. Maybe she wants the consultant to decide whether to increase that insulin further or to try a different type; either a different mix or perhaps separate insulins. It's hard to second guess
To be honest I think that it is good that she's referring you to a consultant.
It would be a good idea to make a list of questions to ask him.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Mistee, It would appear that the DSN feels your insulin needs are better addressed by someone higher and perhaps more knowledgeable than herself, if it were me I'd be happy to be referred as my experience of consultants has always been a positive one.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

Ask her to explain exactly what she means
Hana

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.

You might make sense out of this being type 1 for a few years.

Basicly... as you know 3 weeks ago i started insulin. I started on 8 units in the morning before breakfast and the same again before tea. I am now on 20 before breakfast and 16 before tea but my levels have never come down lower than ten something even though i am low carbing. My sugars vary between 10.8 and 21.4 but i was told that with chronic pancreatitis that is to be expected anyway. I have to keep a food diary and see her at the hospital next friday.

I'm happy enough to see anyone it's just you can't beat experience. I would rather speak to someone now who understands a little on whats going on coz it will probably be weeks before i get to see a consultant.

jopar

Thumbs up to the Consultant idea..

As to the nurse, not sure what she means about your pancreas being dead, maybe she feels that your control isn't so much based on insulin resistance, but the pancreas not producing enough insulin... But the consultant can look into all this, do some C-pettide and/or GAD testing etc to see what's sort of diabetes you have, may well be a LADA...

As slightly different approach is often used with treating a T2 with insulin as a T1, because a T2 will still have some insulin production going on... Often they might just have a background insulin to or perhaps a quick just for when the eat..

You'll on a mixed insulin which contains a background and quick acting insulin, which does tie you to a set amount of carbs a day, as you need to match insulin and carb intake to maintain stable control.. Eat too few carbs at a meal time, you get a hypo, too many means a high! It's fine if you'll got a regimental type of life, where meals and routine is the same from one day to the next, which I've got a feeling you wouldn't fall into this group, it's a nightmare as it's just not flexible for most people...

But don't worry, as the consultant will sort you out, and get you onto a regime that either may be different types/combination of oral or injection T2 medication... or may decide to follow a insulin regime but one that suits you

mistee71

Dislikes

I have type 3c diabetes and sorry my wording was wrong. Her actual words were "stopped working". I suppose if it was actually dead it would probably be rotting in me right now :shock:

WhitbyJet

Awww mistee, you are still very much left out in the cold arent you. Lets hope that you dont have to wait too long to see the consultant, is there any chance you ring the consultants secretary and try to bring an appointment forward so that you get seen asap?
I am only type 2, so dont know what to suggest, I know next to nothing about insulin, but well - lots of big hugs for you, keep strong, dont despair, hopefully you get all the right answers and treatment soon. x x

shop

noblehead said:
Mistee, It would appear that the DSN feels your insulin needs are better addressed by someone higher and perhaps more knowledgeable than herself, if it were me I'd be happy to be referred as my experience of consultants has always been a positive one.

I agree, your Consultant will know the best course of action for you

Hope it all gets sorted so that you can take control and manage it.

Lucy.xxx

mistee71

Dislikes

The not knowing is really doing my head in and i have been trying to google it. I bumped into a friend yesterday told him whats been going on and he scared me by saying "Im pretty much *"#@^* without a pancreas and gallbladder.

shop

Hi Mistee,

I can't say re the gallbladder coz I don't know. But yes I guess I am without a pancreas but I am still alive, thanks to Insulin, thats the way I look at it. Hopefully thats what is needed in your case, to replace manually what your pancreas would normaly produce. ( well as best as we can )

Try not to worry as that won't be doing your sugars any good. xxx

mistee71

Dislikes

it means a lot to hear you haven't got a pancreas. What do you take for that? Is it heavy dosing insulin several times a day?

mistee71

Dislikes

The part about the gallbldder is because 2 out of the 3 digestive thingys might have gone and i already have that thing where the fats and foods are passing right through

shop

Sorry Mistee I don't mean literally, I mean it doesn't produce insulin. Which is what is happening to yours isnt it?

shop

Actually we can live without a gallbladder. My Uncle and step Mum have both had theirs removed and are Ok!

mistee71

Dislikes

Yes that is what is happening. I know we're fine without a gallbladder but its the affects of losing them both that i'm interested in.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Mistee
,There are more and more people who are actually surviving without a pancreas , there is one young girl I know of. who is now an active 10 year old but had it removed when she was a baby. People without a pancreas have to use insulin in the same way as a T1 and also take digestive enzymes.
Your pancreas creates insulin so as you say you may be becoming very much more like people with T1 (or 1.5 who might still have a little useful function).

Try not to worry too much, any type of diabetes is ultimately about control over a long period not what happens in the next month. Your nurse is probably far more used to introducing insulin to people with long term type 2 so she's right to refer you to the consultant.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

In Type 1 it's only the beta cells in the pancreas that stop working - it looks as though with pancreatitis it affects the whole pancreas rather than just the beta cells.

mistee, it might be worth posting another thread with the word pancreatitis in the subject to try and catch the attention of others here with the same condition?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.

mistee71 said:
The not knowing is really doing my head in and i have been trying to google it. I bumped into a friend yesterday told him whats been going on and he scared me by saying "Im pretty much *"#@^* without a pancreas and gallbladder.

Hey mistee you been at those worry pills again!

My Dad had his gallbladder out and he was fine for years, that wasn't what got him and my eldest son's pancreas has been shot to pieces since he was a teenager and I'm pretty sure he's still going strong. Your DSN is right. If you think about it you confused the hell out of them for quite a while so quite rightly they're handing you over to the experts. Doesn't mean its any more dangerous it just means THEY need some help doing what's best for you.

Take care

Steve

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.

Honestly,Seeing the consultant IS a positive thing! :) They can give you loads more information about YOUR particular Diabetes AND give you further tests that a GP may be unable to which hopefully will result in the RIGHT medication regime for YOU. :wink: It's the most productive appointment I ever had! :thumbup: