I exercise but still gain weight....Why?

jahmoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible People
Hi all,

I have Type 1 Insulin dependent, inject 4 times daily and have had Diabeties for about 16 yrs.

I am nearly at my heaviest in weight, 17st, only ever hitting this weight when I bust my ribs a few years back. I started new job a year ago and was away a lot, hotel food not the best, but then the I emotions started playing up, so on came the pounds, eating was a good healer, well so I thought, but then not really.

I made time for me to start back on the bike and I also exercise after every ride, due to a lower back problem, but however many miles I do, I always do an extra 20-30 minutes workout at home, Body & Core workout, great for conditioning the body and hard work. I also love Golf, so once twice or even 3 times, depending on time these day, I love to play and treat this as a pleasure, but also exercise.

July I burned off 18776 Calories, this is estimated as I do not wear a heart rate monitor, but it was good, this month, August so far to today I have burned 12600 Calories, so my goal being over 20000 for the month I am well on track, so all good. Problem I am doing more exercise but eating more as well, I don't seem to be losing weight, but staying at the same weight due to being hungry, or just **** right piggish ;)

Was not sure if this thread needed to go into Food threads, but need some help here, as levels are good and bad which are not good for me, due to turning 40 in a couple of weeks.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated, Thank You :)

jahmoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible People
Maybe I know Why, but do need help to try to get some kind of control.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
in addition to getting glucose to pass into the muscle cells, Insulin also assists in the laying down of fat in your cells.

One of the known side effects of being on insulin is putting on weight...

What you need to be doing is reducing the need for insulin by reducing the carbs you're taking in.

I'm busy fighting my way through Escape the Diet Trap by Dr. John Briffa and that's one of the points he pushes in chapter 6 on the low-fat fallacy that a low fat diet that has high carbs will promote the laying down of fat because of the insulin being around to cope with the carbs.

jahmoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible People
Thanks for the info, protein is the whey:) forward for me then. I will see what can be done. Although I may not look at the Atkins Diet;)

Appreciate the info:)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Three words:
"added muscle mass"