I feel so proud...

leggott

.. of my daughter as she has in the last few weeks started to do her own injections. She only turned 7 last Dec, so I wasn't expecting it so soon. She has also been weighing her cereal in the morning and generally taking more of an active role in managing her diabetes. I'm really chuffed to bits! Leggott

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What a little star! I bet you feel proud, it's a wonderful achievement and another step towards becoming more independent and responsible for her own control.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Thats fantastic, she's a real star. As she's taking such an active part in the management of her diabetes so early on, imagine the self sufficient adult she'll become. Well done to Mum too.
Suzi x

John aka Wallycorker

leggott said:
.. of my daughter as she has in the last few weeks started to do her own injections. She only turned 7 last Dec, so I wasn't expecting it so soon. She has also been weighing her cereal in the morning and generally taking more of an active role in managing her diabetes. I'm really chuffed to bits! Leggott
Yes Leggott - I would do too! Please give her my best wishes.

Good luck with everything that both of you do in life.

Very best wishes - John

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
What a little trouper !!

leggott

Thank you... We went to clinic on Thursday and they gave her a certificate which she was thrilled with. My little boy who is 5 is now asking to do his, but I think it's a little early at the moment for that or not? He already does his own blood checks so I'm sure it won't be much longer before he is able. Leggott.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
leggott said:
Thank you... We went to clinic on Thursday and they gave her a certificate which she was thrilled with. My little boy who is 5 is now asking to do his, but I think it's a little early at the moment for that or not? He already does his own blood checks so I'm sure it won't be much longer before he is able. Leggott.

I am sure your daughter will inspire your son to achieve all that she has achieved herself. Quite remarkable for someone so young, you must be proud parents! :)

Nigel

leggott

Well my husband also has type 1 so we when they were diagnosed we knew what we had to do. Bit of a shock on diagnosis as they were diagnosed within a day of each other! Still I lived to tell the tale and life goes on. Leggott

John aka Wallycorker

Hi again Leggott,

Wow! Anything else to tell us? :D I bet it was a shock! Yes life must always go on - I agree!

I'm only a late onset non-insulin dependent Type 2 and I must say life seems fairly easy for me. I'm always aware of how difficult it must be for Type 1 children - and for their parents too. Take care!

Hope that you've all had a great weekend. Back to school tomorrow? I bet they'll be looking forward to that. My wife is an infant teacher and I'm always asking her how the little kids in school manage to cope with their diabetes. It sounds as though yours don't have too many problems in dealing with life in general and school-life in particular. It's great to hear!

Very best wishes to all of you - John

irishrichard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations to your daughter and to you for the fantastic news! You've every reason to be proud :D

leggott

Thank you John for your kind words. No there is nothing else to tell - well I hope not anyway. I have a younger daughter who will be 2 next month, so far she is ok, but I'd be lying if I said I don't worry about her getting it!
My kids don't really understand their condition and actually feel quite proud of it - It's just Mum & Dad who have to live with the worry!
They don't go back to school tomorrow so we have one more day to get through! (not that i'm counting). Their school have been fantastic with the kids and I couldn't ask for more. The Head Teacher who does my son's (and my daughters until recently) injections has been brilliant. It's down to people like her and people on this forum that really help. My daugher leaves in the summer and I'm going to write to my local education authority to sing the Head Teacher's praises. If your wife knows of anyone else I should contact to praise her then do let me know. Thanks again for you kind comments. leggott.

John aka Wallycorker

Yes - I can understand your worries for your younger child too. However, if that ever does come about and I do hope it doesn't, it sounds as though their elder brother and sister will be quite expert by then. Also, I understand that it 's the parents that will have all the worries - I do appreciate that.

I'll talk to my wife more about it but don't think that she has any real first-hand experience in dealing with it - she just knows a little bit of how they deal with it in schools where she has worked.

Good luck and best wishes for the future - John