1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I forgot if I took my evening dose of Tresiba, what should I do now?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by kaup, Dec 1, 2019.

1. kaup

kaup Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey,

I usually take 17 units of Tresiba on the evening and 17 units in the morning. But now I forgot if I have even taken my evening dose of 17 units Tresiba. What is the best way to do in this case?

2. Honeyend

Honeyend · Well-Known Member

3. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I know I kept having the same issues (it becomes so auto-pilot you don't even remember doing it), so I got a Timesulin cap for my pens so I could see exactly how long ago I'd taken it, I realise that doesn't help right now, but if you find it's tricky to remember whether you've taken your insulin or not I found said cap very very useful. The Novopen Echo and Novopen 5 also have built in timers if you want to use a reusable pen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Why? It’s long lasting. You will be either higher tomorrow or not. If higher take more bolus. It happens! Don’t worry we’ve all done it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Master
    Retired Moderator

Hi,

Don't panic.
    Had a simalar issue from Friday night.. It can become habit to the point of the "mundane."
    My basal (Lantus.) is taken at 11pm as a single dose.

My understanding is you split your basal dose?
    Monitor your BGs as best you can tonight.. (I appreciate sleep is required.) Correct with fast acting if you are surfing too high? Then give your normal dose in the morning.. It's better if unsure to not double your dosage overnight till the next..
    You may run a little high the following day if you have forgotten basal the night before? If you have the capability to check for keytones? Please also do so..

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

With Tresiba, which is very long acting, you should be fine for tonight, so just go to sleep and have sweet dreams :)
    Tomorrow and the days after you may or may not find you're running slightly higher than usual and you can correct for that.
    Tresiba is the most forgiving of all insulins as far as I know, and you're double lucky you take it in a split dose so even if you've missed it you've only missed half your daily dose :)

7. Shannon27

Shannon27 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I do this every now and then and start panicking when i realise! Nice to know there are timer tops for the pens though, i'll have to look into these!

• Like Like x 2
  8. MauroM

MauroM Type 1 · Member

I agree with monitoring more frequently just to be sure. I take a Lantus dose at around 9 pm and lost count of how many times I was startled awake, desperate, wondering if I had taken the dose that night. I recently started changing the pen's placement everytime I take the shot, replacing it when I do the morning fingerprick test. Now, if I wake up in the middle of the night, I can look at where the pen is. Even then, if I suspect I forgot to take it, and can't know if I either forgot the dose or just forgot to replace the pen, I consider the possible scenarios:

-I took the dose, don't remember, and take another one (to be "sure") and risk a terrible hypo while asleep and further hypos through the day;
    -I didn't take the dose, and then take a full dose (nothing happens);
    -I took the dose, don't remember, and leave it (nothing happens);
    -I didn't take the dose, leave it that way and risk high blood sugars the next day (which can be remedied by a tighter control).

The first case is the worst one, by far, and I'd rather risk high sugars (when that happened to me, it was not that bad) and having to correct them, so, if I suspect I didn't take the dose, I just ignore it. It is a hassle, yes, but I think is far safer.
    In any case, I second the opinion of contacting a professional when in doubt.

9. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Genius!
    I'm going to start this tonight! I keep it by my bed but I can switch between it's usual spot between the mattress and the wall, and the nightstand. To prevent forgetting to put it back in the morning I'll put it on top of my fast acting, which I take before getting out of bed :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. MauroM

MauroM Type 1 · Member

I change between shelves (bottom shelf during the day, top shelf after the shot), since I keep all my equipment in a wardrobe, but your idea of puting it on top of the fast acting is really clever!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook