1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I had an assesment this morning about my health

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Sparklebrightisright62, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Sparklebrightisright62

Sparklebrightisright62 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi to all,

I had an assesment this morning about my health and am being reffered to a balance group.
    And also the Diabetic Community Nurse about my Blood Sugar but what about the weight gain i am finding hard to control my weight at the moment and my blood sugar if i have to use insulin i will just put more weight on and i will not be happy at all.

What do i do?

Sparklebright62.

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

Controlling your blood sugar with low carb eating will also go a long way to control your weight. It’s the uncontrolled type 2 that causes weight gain as much as the other way around. It’ll also help with non alcoholic fatty liver and blood pressure issues. Insulin is a drug of last resort for type 2 and not the first option by a long way.
    Take a read of the links in red below this message for more explanations and sources of information.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jenfoolery

jenfoolery Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Agree - insulin will be the last resort unless you are super super high, in which case they probably would have sent you to an emergency department. If they want you to try medication, the one(s) they usually start with also have the effect of helping with weight loss, so that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's obviously better if you can do it yourself just through diet and exercise but everyone's disease progression is different and it's not possible for everyone to just get it into remission without medication.

4. Hotglove

Hotglove · Member

Hi,
    I have been on a low carb diet for a couple of months, I have found it very effective and much easier to stick to than I expected.
    Coupled with an exercise program I feel fitter and more trim than I have been in 10 years, have lost 8” from my waistline in 6 months.
    I even enjoy finding substitutes for rice, bread and pasta, favourites include cauliflower rice, almond and mozzarella “bread” sticks and broccoli and cauliflower bubble and squeak.
    Try it, you might be very surprised at how effective such a diet can be, and there is absolutely no need to be hungry at any time.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook