I had some toast

Smitten73

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone.

I'm non diabetic but have been doing lchf for about two months. I'm the mum of a 16 year old t1 diabetic. Earlier I had some toast, the first I've had in 2 months and tested my blood with my son's spare meter after 2.5 hours and it was 11.8. Is that normal after being lchf for a while?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it is best to ask your DR, I would test tomorrow morning before breakfast to see if it's a bit high more than 5.5

this is the same person on a low and high carb diet. when having a sugar test [=4 slices of toast] they say to eat 150g of carb a day [=10 slices of toast]for 3-4days to get your normal response back

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2014nl/jan/himsworth-insulin.pdf

upload_2015-1-7_10-42-14.png

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I would say that is high at 2.5 hours even with your low carbing and may indicate type 2 diabetes or some kind of insulin resistance. You should definitely discuss this with your doctor. Hopefully he/she is knowledgeable about diabetes. As jack412 said, you should check your morning premeal level as well.

Smitten73

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say that is high at 2.5 hours even with your low carbing and may indicate type 2 diabetes or some kind of insulin resistance. You should definitely discuss this with your doctor. Hopefully he/she is knowledgeable about diabetes. As jack412 said, you should check your morning premeal level as well.

I thought so too. I'll do a check in the morning when I get up. Thanks Guys. :) My dad has type 2 as well. Thought it may just have been a shock to my system as I've been keeping to under 18g of carbs per day for the past couple of months.

Smitten73

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I just took another test at 2am, that's nearly 5 hours after the toast and it's now 8.9. At least it's coming down a bit.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Long time to drop back and still on the high side. Off to the doctor :)

Smitten73

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
It is 4.0 this morning, so all is well and it was just an over reaction to carbs then maybe?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You could get the doctor to check.

But it's very common to see this happen if you low carb for a while.
Your body will take several days to re adjust to carbs again, as jacks post shows.
This is one of the main reasons I chose not to low carb, but low GI/GL instead.