I have concluded that people with my genetics turn on and off insulin resistance./the 'thrifty gene'

Status
Not open for further replies.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

Now that I do not eat grains,fruit etc.. I am fine. I think my explanation is fine. I have always had a tendency to become fat as do all the "hunter" gene people. I was fine except for the overweight before I had a probable autoimmune response in 1957. The weight loss doctor who found the "hunter" gene said it occurred in only about 10% of his patients. You are probably some one in the other 90%. I have tried,tried, tried to find out who it was.

Was it this guy?:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/weight-loss.html

Many doctors and weight loss gurus refer to this thrifty/hunter gene. All they say is that it makes you prone to put on weight. This was a good thing in our distant past but not so good now in modern life. The thrifty gene isn't that rare.

I don't understand what you're trying to prove. You have, you believe, a set of thrifty genes that make you insulin resistant and prone to put on weight if you eat too many carbs. That is not unusual.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Thanks for the post removal. It was a genuine question.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Actually, what I was tactfully trying to convey was my T2 dad towards the end of his life was off the meds for his diabetes. (Metformin.)
True, I had managed to encourage a lower carb aproach In his diet. However. His vascular dementia (so I was told by the doctor.) was causing wierd fluctuations in his BG. (Including hypoglycaemia 3.4mmol an hour or so after breakfast.. (He was prescribed a meter. Unusually for a T2.)

A bit like the "ECU" on a car playing up with the engine managment regarding fuel delivery to the engine?
Hence why I urge the OP (with the best will in the world.) to get checked out for any issues for Altziemers while getting looked at for the RH??

Hi

My expert castigated me when I thought my problem was prevelant in problems with weight. He surly was right. I then remembered that the weight loss doctor who defined the "hunter" gene said that was the case in about 10% of the patients in his study.

Neil

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Insulin resistance doesn't switch on and off - it's more likely that their insulin response finally kicked in or they produced enough insulin to overcome the high sugar.

Have you looked at the phases of insulin response as I suggested earlier?
Insulin resistance doesn't switch on and off - it's more likely that their insulin response finally kicked in or they produced enough insulin to overcome the high sugar.

Have you looked at the phases of insulin response as I suggested earlier?
Hi

Sorry no please repeat what phases? How come it seems to act as a switch? No response and then a crash. I say this since the 4 people (including me) I know have my autoimmune problem all end up with pretty bad low sugar many hours after eating too much sugar/starch/alcohol. You may have a point as I seem to have (cured?) my high blood pressure (only educated guess) by not producing as much insulin. We will see what happens as I slowly remove the meds. I am about to google.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
In Dr Bernstein's latest webinar, he talked specifically about PCOS and how difficult it is for people to lose weight. @Galja posted the link elsewhere on the forum. He talked about people not losing weight and appearing to "live on air" :(

Hi

The "hunter" gene (me) is why some people with no symptoms have problems losing weight. These people save energy by not creating fat from sugar until their blood sugar rises too high. Just look at one of their glucose tolerance tests. (in 1964) 70, 1/2 hr 130, 1 hr 175, 2 hr 185 extended 3 hr 100 about 1/2 hr later I had a very minor shaking episode (before I got everything under control these seem to happen in relation to recovering from low blood sugar. In one episode (I passed out) it happened about 5 miniutes later (unusual ,still don't know if that was low sugar or not, b.s. reading right afterwards was 60).

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hi

I have bounced my theories off probably the world expert on adrenal problems. He is the only doctor who had enough confidence and humility to email with me. I gather he thinks the theories are possible or even probable but not proved.

Any chance of getting the name of this "world expert in adrenal problems"? I would like to see his work.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi

Sorry no please repeat what phases? How come it seems to act as a switch? No response and then a crash. I say this since the 4 people (including me) I know have my autoimmune problem all end up with pretty bad low sugar many hours after eating too much sugar/starch/alcohol. You may have a point as I seem to have (cured?) my high blood pressure (only educated guess) by not producing as much insulin. We will see what happens as I slowly remove the meds. I am about to google.
Any chance of getting the name of this "world expert in adrenal problems"? I would like to see his work.

Classic RH diagnosis!

That's fact!

Hunter/thrifty gene is a theory to explain how our metabolism works.

Can't you move on and except that until a real geneticist discovers the reason how this condition can be cured, you just have to accept that diet is the only way forward?

I believe you are in a loop of denial and you need someone to back your theory, I don't believe that will happen any time soon!

Stop living in the world you have created for yourself and get on with your future.

A favour, could you steer the four you know who have the same as you, to our RH forum, I think they will find genuine advice about how to really control RH!

You are searching for something that has no cure! As yet, and it has to do with metabolism not genetics!

Last edited by a moderator:

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?

Dr Vaidya (don't know of his publications but is the expert in the Boston area he is still comparatively young).

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

What "meds" are you taking currently..?

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Hi

The usual suspects ;beta blocker, dieretic and (lazy will run up stairs if you really care). Cutting my beta blocker first since I have symptoms which probably are just age slowing down but could be because of the beta blocker.
Classic RH diagnosis!

That's fact!

Hunter/thrifty gene is a theory to explain how our metabolism works.

Can't you move on and except that until a real geneticist discovers the reason how this condition can be cured, you just have to accept that diet is the only way forward?

I believe you are in a loop of denial and you need someone to back your theory, I don't believe that will happen any time soon!

Stop living in the world you have created for yourself and get on with your future.

A favour, could you steer the four you know who have the same as you, to our RH forum, I think they will find genuine advice about how to really control RH!

You are searching for something that has no cure! As yet, and it has to do with metabolism not genetics!

Edited: to reflect an edit to the original post, by a Moderator.
Hi
So we disagree. It was found (recently) that their are 2 ways of processing sugar and I checked if my theories are possible with the people who run this web site (they were interested enough from my initial posting to interact as a special case) and my local (probably world) expert on adrenal problems. There answer is possible even probable but not proved. I think you may be going up a blind allay. Check your glucose tolerance test. Check if you are better at using sugar (gain weight and/or need less food). I think that I had an autoimmune problem in 1957 (killed one type cell in my adrenal glands) and only with my genetics is this particular autoimmune problem possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Hi don't see my reply. The normal suspects beta blocker (cutting back on this one), dieretic and (would have to go up stairs to see will do so if you really care).

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi don't see my reply. The normal suspects beta blocker (cutting back on this one), dieretic and (would have to go up stairs to see will do so if you really care).
It always helps to know exactly what medication (or indeed any other substances.) is involved..

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
It always helps to know exactly what medication (or indeed any other substances.) is involved..
Hi

You are right but I have limited energy. I go full out all the time no breaks just different activities.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
You might want to consider a different medication to your beta-blocker rather than reducing/stopping it. Your physician may prescribe an ACE inhibitor, a calcium channel blocker or an ARB as an alternative.

Regards

Doug

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
You might want to consider a different medication to your beta-blocker rather than reducing/stopping it. Your physician may prescribe an ACE inhibitor, a calcium channel blocker or an ARB as an alternative.

Regards

Doug
Hi

I am getting old. I have possibly corrected my blood pressure problem by removing a lot of insulin from my blood for a number of years (at least that is my hope and is consistent with my steady 120/80 or so). I take 3 different medications a beta blocker, one of the ones you suggest (other one gave me side effect, cough), and a diuretic. My hope is that over time I will remove all of them.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Was it this guy?:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/weight-loss.html

Many doctors and weight loss gurus refer to this thrifty/hunter gene. All they say is that it makes you prone to put on weight. This was a good thing in our distant past but not so good now in modern life. The thrifty gene isn't that rare.

I don't understand what you're trying to prove. You have, you believe, a set of thrifty genes that make you insulin resistant and prone to put on weight if you eat too many carbs. That is not unusual.

Hi

I have an autoimmune disease which is controlled by never letting my blood sugar go above an unknown amount. The symptoms are very low sugar with a long delay (over 3 hours) after eating too much sugar. General fatigue if you eat a much smaller amount of sugar. This took about 50 years for me to realize that a much smaller amount of sugar was a problem. I know of 4 other people who have been misdiagnosed or not diagnosed who have all of my symptoms. 2 are from this site. I have figured out that the following weird situation is occurring. There are a portion of the population (very prevalent in near east) who process sugar by usually being in a situation which simulates type 2 diabetes. When their blood sugar rises enough they are able to first turn off the insulin resistance and then signal their pancreas to do its thing and their blood sugar goes to low normal for a glucose tolerance test, at which point they go back to their normal (no way to know when they actually return to type 2 diabetes). One easy way to realize this is to look at their glucose tolerance tests and note that even though their blood sugar rises for over 2 hrs before crashing they have normal fasting blood sugar and A1C (note: insulin is used to process protein). I have no idea how this is possible. The weight loss doctor I can not find (maybe no one believes him) said people with my glucose tolerance test do not lose weight on his weight loss diet. My analysis is that we save energy by not making sugar into fat and much later turning fat into sugar. I have talked to people from India, there are a lot of such people in my area. They all say that women from India have sugar problems in pregnancy. One nurse originally from India said "it must be genetic". Some also say that they are diagnosed as pre diabetic but in general (like me) they do not become diabetic. One Indian on this site posted that they have the glucose tolerance curve I describe. One of the people I know has my symptoms is a relative. We both had a classic case of an autoimmune reaction (neither realized what was happening and we did not communicate about this until a few years ago) in 1957. I assume we caught an unlucky virus. One of the sugar problems in pregnancy is this relative.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Hi

The usual suspects ;beta blocker, dieretic and (lazy will run up stairs if you really care). Cutting my beta blocker first since I have symptoms which probably are just age slowing down but could be because of the beta blocker.

Hi
So we disagree. It was found (recently) that their are 2 ways of processing sugar and I checked if my theories are possible with the people who run this web site (they were interested enough from my initial posting to interact as a special case) and my local (probably world) expert on adrenal problems. There answer is possible even probable but not proved. I think you may be going up a blind allay. Check your glucose tolerance test. Check if you are better at using sugar (gain weight and/or need less food). I think that I had an autoimmune problem in 1957 (killed one type cell in my adrenal glands) and only with my genetics is this particular autoimmune problem possible.

Actually we are not in disagreement. I have found why there is a problem and that it is related to a sort of thrifty gene. You are describing the mechanism of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.