I made a poor decision on friday and its changed my baseline sugar levels drasticaly :¬(

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone got a clue what I did to myself?

I have been on a baseline of about 5.5mmol for a few years now but

I went out last Frida night with friends and had Chinese, fish starter then egg fried rice and beef curry
my blood sugars went crazy over night 3 or 4 peeks of 13.0 then dips to 4,0 and then up again (libre)

Now im stuck at 8.5mmol all the time since Saturday morning, eating anything at all pushes me over 11.0

I am not used to carbs and I dont have a clue what I did to myself :¬(
Its scary

Reactions: 6 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Not to panic @madusmacus you are experiencing what many of us experience when we eat a carb loaded meal. Personally, if I ate a meal like that it would take about 8 to 10days before my bs levels returned to normal. I found this out when I ate bread rolls two days running for lunch and also ate some of my husband's veg curry same day (sauce high carb + rice!) That's all it took for me. Don't despair, keep low carbing and your levels will eventually return to normal. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Has anyone got a clue what I did to myself?

I have been on a baseline of about 5.5mmol for a few years now but

I went out last Frida night with friends and had Chinese, fish starter then egg fried rice and beef curry
my blood sugars went crazy over night 3 or 4 peeks of 13.0 then dips to 4,0 and then up again (libre)

Now im stuck at 8.5mmol all the time since Saturday morning, eating anything at all pushes me over 11.0

I am not used to carbs and I dont have a clue what I did to myself :¬(
Its scary
I believe the Chinese meal had something to do with it.
The fried rice is high in carbs and maybe the oils used actually in frying.
The curry itself may have had all sorts of baddies in, including thickening agents.

Because of your consistent low carbing, your blood sugar shock to the system probably over compensated because it wasn't used to that many carbs and sugars.

You'll just have to get yourself back on the bike of low carbing and restrict yourself till your usual blood range. Your body doesn't like change too much!

Reactions: 2 people

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all :¬)

I have learned a good lesson here
There is to be no one off special days for me in future
Back to the stuff I know

Bye :¬)

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I went made for a few days with eating all the wrong things, have been on track for 2 days and levels are still high but I know they will start to come down. Be patient and yours will come down

Reactions: 3 people

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went made for a few days with eating all the wrong things, have been on track for 2 days and levels are still high but I know they will start to come down. Be patient and yours will come down

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was probably monosodium glutamate in nearly everything too.
that does terrible things to me for days.
The first sign is a raging thirst, then my bg goes screwy.

Drink plenty, go back to normal eating, and wait it out.
Don't worrit - this too shall pass! ;)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would suggest fasting for a day (36 hours is best) to help reset (empty) your liver.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you all :¬)

I have learned a good lesson here
There is to be no one off special days for me in future
Back to the stuff I know

Bye :¬)
If you are going to have a treat, then have a small one!
But you may have to learn how much is small!

Reactions: 8 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read a bit about The Chinese Restaurant Effect on various threads. In essence, many people find Chinese food the trickiest to manage as it seems there is a multi-wave effect on blood sugars. That back down to x after 2 hours isn't necessarily anything like the full picture.

I'm fine with some stir fry, as that's pretty controlled, but I would have been interested to have been wearing a Libre the other night when we had a slightly wider variety of foods and ingredients than usual. As a part-time user, I drew the short straw this time, and as I like to wait a couple of days after I apply the sensor to activate it, I wasn't going to just slap one on once the menu was decided.

Fortunately, my 2 hours readings were good (for what good that does me, given what I've said above!), and I have noticed to chances in things since.

I'm sure it's not the end of the world, @madusmacus , and provided your back on your personal style of management horse, it'll revert to your usual pattern over the next couple of days.

One final thing; was your sensor at the very beginning or the end of it's lifespan? I sometimes find they can be a bit less reliable at those times than in the middle, majority of the days.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have always said 'one bad (wrong) meal = 3 bad days.' And I have injected insulin and it still takes days but was worse when T2. It does come back, it just takes time. I would eat VLC and lower protein if fasting doesn't appeal. High fat can make us IR so I would keep those on the low side too. Perhaps just a few small snacks

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
How do you exercise? I ask as I had a high the other week after a pasty, more an experiment and the result predictable, but after a 45 minute hard cardio session it was back in the normal range. I am new to this but I have found for me excess food can be worked off rather than stopping my usual routing. Just a different view point on the subject. Also, forgive yourself the once in a while indulgences. they make life worth while, but you may have to work them off!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
How do you exercise? I ask as I had a high the other week after a pasty, more an experiment and the result predictable, but after a 45 minute hard cardio session it was back in the normal range. I am new to this but I have found for me excess food can be worked off rather than stopping my usual routing. Just a different view point on the subject. Also, forgive yourself the once in a while indulgences. they make life worth while, but you may have to work them off!
I'm not saying you are wrong but some doing excessive or strenuous exercise can often lead to higher blood glucose levels. As the liver often dumps to ensure enough glucose and glucagon to provide for you when exercising.
You just have to find that one out as well!

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Kinda feels like it when you open with that. A private discussion as to why would be appreciated, @madusmacus sorry for a thread hijack.

All I was saying in a round about way, if you put it in it has to get used or it gets stored in an undesirable state, be it fat or in your liver.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
ok, I didn't put it the best way!
But the point is that the op may not be capable of doing workouts as there is a certain amount of younger members, where exercise is not an option.
It has been suggested, (is that better?) can and do get good results from just walking and doing more chores around the house or even walking up and down the few stairs they can if the weather is inclement.
And you didn't derail the thread.
I couldn't because I'm certain I was on topic!
I'm a nice guy and would welcome alternatives to how to get control, as I have to!

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all thanks for all the info :¬)

Today is a lot better Phew! 6.1 on waking (horizontal) and 7.1 after getting up (vertical)
As you have all said I believe it will slowly get back down to my normal 5-6 base line :¬)

I dont actually need to eat Chinese and I assumed it would just spike me quite badly, but I didn't expect it to do what it did hehe
I wont be eating it again that's for sure :¬)

Thanks

One final thing; was your sensor at the very beginning or the end of it's lifespan?
4 days in and I have a good sensor this time :¬) its almost the same as the blood prick tests (Libre sticks)
I am now sure the placement of the sensor is key as I now know I have hit underlying anatomy (hit muscle blood vessels etc) im sure this causes my "Bad" sensors

Last edited by a moderator:

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you exercise?!
This is quiet embarrassing as I dont :¬(
I know I should and I have just bought a bike and got rid of my car - maybe when the weather gets a bit better ill use it
For now my only exercise is about 30 floor climbs over a day (office is 3 floors below the toilets) forced exercise hehe

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
This is quiet embarrassing as I dont :¬(
I know I should and I have just bought a bike and got rid of my car - maybe when the weather gets a bit better ill use it
For now my only exercise is about 30 floor climbs over a day (office is 3 floors below the toilets) forced exercise hehe
30 floors is better than 80% of the country that is for sure and well done for not taking the lift. Start from where you are and work upwards. You will be surprised how addictive it is without being it feeling like a school punishment.