I may have to have a new meter!

joelcam

Hi all,

I went for my annual results yesterday, which were ok. I was a little concerned at a warning my nurse gave me though. She advised that due to the costs of test-strips I may be told I have to change onto a new meter, where the test-strips are cheaper. She said it was something that could be happening soon and that all T1’s would have to have a new meter, so we all had the same cheap one.

Anyone else had this? I live in Wales if this makes a difference, which I am sure it will.

JC

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Gloucestershire PCT are pushing people onto the meter they've negotiated a bulk deal for...

insulinwalter

Don't worry about it you can get the jazz meter and it seems an improvement o a lot of the other meters out there. Think they lowered their price to be more competitive but all good for users

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I'm in Wales too - under hywel dda that had the big shake up yesterday. Ive not heard anything on that front .............yet!!!

insulinwalter

Depends on which LHB you're in. I think Newport Caerpilly area and Swansea Neath Port Talbot you can get the Jazz not sure about the rest of the country

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
guy at the desk next to me at work has been given the new meter... he hates it and has absolutely no trust in the results. He's just getting his insulin regime changed this week and is absolutely terrified of losing his driving licence for a hypo that could be induced because of the erratic untrustworthy reading on this meter. He's planning to get himself his own meter and buy his own strips for it.

iHs

Hi

The need for health authorities to save money on the prescribing of bg teststrips has been 'on the cards' for a while now and some GP's have attempted to restrict many Type 1's who are also using basal/bolus down to just being able to test their bg levels just twice per day. In fact some surgery Dsn's are also behind it. They say that pricking your finger hurts and that it's not necessary to test more often. This type of thing does question the safety of the bolus/basal regime and even biphasic regimes and will seriously worry many diabetics especially if they drive a car as well.

Regarding bg meters........ The Jazz meter uses teststrips manufactured by Agamatrix. Agamatrix teststrips are meant to be fairly accurate with the bg level displayed and the strips are much cheaper to the NHS (£10 instead of £15) so there should be quite a saving there. I don't think that its possible to buy the strips privately from the company though but maybe they should seriously give this some consideration.

For myself, I have an insulin pump that works through a bluetooth bg meter/bolus wizard and is dependant on Aviva teststrips. Without Aviva teststrips I would have some difficulty in working out my exact insulin needs so I just hope that my GP carries on prescribing me the quantity of Aviva strips that I need every month as she and the dsn know nothing about insulin pump technology but that suits me really as long as get the strips that I need.

C

catherinecherub

Saw on another forum today that a Type1 has been prescribed the iCare Advanced and prescription changed for test strips to accommodate this. They were warned about this by `DAFNE Nurse that it was on the cards to save money. They live in Norfolk.
http://icaremedicalinc.com/

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I wonder how well thought out this idea of one meter for all is.
Just think about it... everyone has the same meter, the other companies end up going bust or withdrawing from the uk.
Then surprise surprise the price of test strips go up and up.

insulinwalter

Companies can't hike up their test strip price willy nilly there is an incremental increase each year that can be applied for, which over the last couple of years hasn't increased by more than 1% per annum.

And I reckon bottom line is this, if smaller/newer companies are coming through with better meters (Jazz for example) and can offer a better price then surely that is a good thing all round. The NHS simply won't exist in a few years time if they can't make savings. I'm all for it and for those that aren't well the option is thre to go private!!

Also they're not stupid if some needs specific meter (for pump or such like) then these are usually not included I any contract. It's usually standard blood glucose meters that are upgraded.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Going to the GP tomorrow to ask to have aviva test strips for the expert meter which gives bolus advice. Was given the meter by DNS at the hospital clinic last December but changed over to the Jazz as I felt that we all need to save money for the future of nhs but my good control has gone out of the window by guessing insulin bolus so DNS said "we gave you the expert meter why are you not using it" told her that id read the Glos pct,s letter that says type 1 on this meter can still have strips but I am type2 so didnt think I was entitled but apparently I am so hope the gp agrees with the nurse so off to do battle tomorrow,wish me luck :thumbup:

iHs

Anyone using insulin to control their bg levels should definately be entitled to bg teststrips prescribed on the NHS, regardless of whatever 'type' of diabetes they have. The problem is over the price that some manufacturers are charging for their teststrips so this is why some healthy competition will start to force companies to review how much they can charge. Even with a reduction in price, they will still be able to make a good profit.

Does anyone know where teststrips are made? I have visions of them being turned out by the thousands on conveyor belts in factories in far eastern countries.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Ihs its not that I cant get the strips its that accuchek strips for the smart meter cost more and so the PCT allow them to only a few people who need this particular meter
My lovely doc changed my scrip to aviva so very happy with that :D

C

catherinecherub

It is happening in New Zealand too.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic ... e-lab-rats

I was thinking this morning that the companies who get away with prescribing sky high prices for strips may have to rethink and bring the cost down or their profits will take a battering if eventually all Health Care Providers decide it is cheaper strips for all diabetics worldwide..

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
this is what happens when bean counters get involved...

They always choose the cheapest solution for the current year's budget and never consider the effects on the budget years down the line of not having chosen the best solution for the patient's outcome and future care requirements.

antmos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have recently been told that I will only be supplied test strips for the Nexus Rx meter which was given to me at my last GP visit. I have just bought the iGBStar meter and really loved it so I am really feeling frustrated by being dictated to like this. I also have to use the finger pricker that goes with this meter which is like something out of the arc! I dont know why they cant negotiate better prices from the other meter companies so that at least we have some choice in the matter!

Has anyone else been given restrictions on meters?

peecee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I got a letter from my surgery today telling me that they will no longer be prescribing accuchek lancets or test strips and will be changing patients over to the wavesense jazz meter as of October. This is apparently because Abertawe Bro Morgannwg NHS Trust now give out Jazz meters to all their new patients and my surgery feels it makes sense to mirror that decision.

iHs

Have no worries Peece

The teststrips for the Jazz meter are made by Agamatrix and word has it that Agamatrix strips are very accurate in the way bg levels are calculated and not only that... the teststrips are much cheaper to the NHS than many competitors.

Type1Jim

Hi....
A cheaper meter will often mean less accurate. Be sure to compare accuracy data for the meter and test strips etc as even the temperature range can be different. all meters vary a little. I use glucomen lxplus which comes out high on all specs and also measures ketones. A diabetic should be able to choose what to test with.
Hope this helps

peecee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm not worried about the meter ihs...its just that i like to test frequently and have been buying extra aviva strips on the bay, however there dont appear to be jazz strips on there for sale and i dont really want to test using 2 different meters :problem: