I need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnaH

I'm type2 diabetic on insulin, and lately I've been having real problems. I fall down constantly and for no reason, It just happened a few minutes ago, and we have an old house with cenent floors. #We also have steep stairs, and I have fallen down them twice in the last 2 days. I fall out of bed in the morning, and then my legs won't move. I can't control them, and I run into walls. I called the hospital and they put me on a waiting list for falling down prevention. I' married to someone who hates sick people, and won't help me get up off the floor. I'm really scared. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this part of diabetes? Please help me if you have any answers. My Dr is new to me, and doesn't say much. Pardon the typos, as I find it very hard to move my fingers,

Thank you...

DonnaH

Aadrgon

Hi and welcome Donna

Sorry about the problems you are having - never experienced anything like this myself so can't really help. I'm sure someone else might have a better idea.
Have you checked your blood sugar when these attacks occur ?
I think you really need to get answers from your Doctor - if you are falling down stairs and also onto concrete floors you are risking serious injury.

C

catherinecherub

Hi Donna,
This must be really scarey for you and without any support from your partner it must feel like you are so alone.
When you phoned the hospital did you state that you were a diabetic? I don't think you can wait for some help as you need it now. Is your Dr. aware of the problems you are experiencing?
If no one is prepared to help you then I think I would ring or present myself to A.@E. and ask for help.

Hope this helps,
Catherine.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya donna,
have u checked your blood as already said, are u hypo at these times?
do u have any other health problems?
i know it is scary as ive been falling a lot last few mnths and its awfull, mine isnt my diabetes im undergoing tests for other things as im rather unsteady on my feet, are u on any medications?
you need an emergency drs appointment for further investigations, let us know how u are getting on :)

James2782

Hi Donna
I definitely wouldn't rule out the possibility that its not related to the diabetes. Without wanting to sound disrespectfull to your partner, this is something that is obviously worrying you, and understandably so, and you really need his support. He needs to put his feelings about sick people to one side and do whatever it takes to find out what the problem is, and in the meantime, help you when you need it.

I noticed that you said You found it hard to move your fingers to type. Is this an ongoing problem or just at the time you were typing? The reason I ask is because, you also mentioned you find it hard to move your legs in a morning. This could be a circulation issue. I have quite poor circulation as well, and if i sleep with my arms anywhere other than by my side, I wake up unable to move them in the night.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Donna
Falling over at odd times isn't a normal symptom of diabetes, but it can be a symptom of TIA( mini strokes) Which can happen to diabetics. whatever it is, needs investigating before you injure yourself. If it happens again, get your self to A&E. If your partner won't help you, call an ambulance or a taxi A partner who won't help and support, isn't a partner. I, for one, would do as much for a stranger.

EricD

Dislikes
Bullies and sockpuppets. Not being able to eat I want.
I' married to someone who hates sick people, and won't help me get up off the floor.

I don't usually get angry quickly but this really got to me and I feel like letting rip but I'll keep it civilised.

What happened to "in sickness and in health" or didn't he mean it when he said it?

Does he expect the same treatment from you if/when he himself becomes ill?

I'm sorry but your "partner" isn't a partner in any sense.

Please call an ambulance and get yourself to the hospital before it's too late.

DonnaH

I just wanted to thank all of you for your support and advice. Today I scheduled classes where the Drs and nurses are trained in finding out how come I'm faling down so much. It might be circulatory as it happens more in the mornings. Yes, I agree that I have no partner now, and he has been sick with leg ulcers, which I nursed him through. But, I guess that doesnt count, so when I fall, he just walks over me. I guess i'm depressed about that, but I'm tough, so will bounce back. As soon as I can I'm going to figure out how to get a small bungalow, as these steps scare me...it's a terraced old house with steep steps and no where to hang onto.

Anyhow, thank you so much for your support, as it's nice to think you;re not alone...

Best Wishes,

Donna H

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
DonnaH

You are never alone. We will stick by you, for better or worse !

Ken

PRINNY

hi donnah, please dont think you are alone, as has been said by many people we are here for you and my heart goes out to you having no support, i would like to give him a piece of my mind, i nursed my husband trough a heart bypass afew years ago, last year i was diagnosed with breast cancer, my hubby was wonderful, i couldnt have got through it without him. i thought thats what partners did for one another, lets hope he stays healthy,you know what to do if he doesnt. its good to know that you are getting medical help now for your problems and i hope it gets sorted out, it may be your circulation or something entirely different.keep coming to the forum, thats what we are here for, i wish you all the luck in the world, all the best, from prinny.

Trinkwasser

Get your blood pressure checked out also. mother fell recently which she doesn't normally do and we *suspect* a combination of postural hypotension (standing up suddenly causes a BP drop) and micturition syncope (straining to pee also causing a BP drop). She fell off her commode. That's a relatively easy one to fix - may need a reduction or change of BP meds, and stand up slowly.

Really needs a full workup by your doctor though

sandymaynard

Hi Donna,
I feel for you! my mum is on insulin and she is falling over! a couple of questions, how is your eyesight? i know strange question, but my mum was like that! and a doctor finally listened it is a mixture between her eyes and her high blood pressure and insulin!
second question, do you have arthritis?, or do you have carpal tunnel sydrome in your hands?,
this is so unfair of your husband! Is he heartless? well he must be as when you marry you have a commintment! i have been there myself, You don't deserve any of the treatment that he is giving you!
Hence why now he is my ex husband, i have found a very caring fiancee who understands me!
Okay Donna firstly you need to phone the hospital back and say that this cannot wait and you need a urgent appointment to see someone, explain your medical condition's!
Is there anyway that a bedroom could be set up downstair's for you? as it would be alot safer than having to walk the stair's all the time! You sound like you feel very alone!
The good people on this forum there is alway's someone around to answer a question or just give a bit of support! Everybody needs some support at times!

DonnaH

I am so very grateful for all the wonderful people on this forum, as I can come in here and talk to real people, who are real friends. I do get left alone a lot, more then is normal, but I'm not going to complain about all my aches and pains. Yes, I have high blood pressure which I take enalapril for. I have horrible eyesight, but have a retinopothy scheduled for next month, and I have checked around and entered myself in a 'falling down therapy' class. I have only met my Dr once, and this time I am going to request that it is an appointment for only me, not my partner tagging along. He has a tendency to email these Drs and tell them there is nothing wrong with me, and I am imagining my diabetic problems. On 2 insulin shots a day, I don't think I'm imagining anything. I no longer think of him as a friend or partner, and I always thought married people helped each other. Call me old fashioned, but in 2 years I plan on getting divorced. I feel grateful that some of you have partners who will help you when you're sick...I envy that. Don't worry though, I am a very ttough American...I came here 8 years ago, and have lasted this long, so a couple more years will see me fit and free. I do believe that stress in a diabetic is poisonous, and it's constant in this house. So, for all of you who go through the same thing, I am on your side, and please write me. I am a positive person, and won't let you go without help of any kind. I don't plan on being a martyr either. In the meantime, I don't know what I would do without knowing I have friends on here.

Thank you so much...

Donna H

chocoholic

Hi Donna,
I could not believe your posting about your uncaring partner.At a time when you need his support more than ever, I'm sure the last thing you need is to feel uncared for. As others have said, stay on the forum and I have every confidence you will feel 'cared for' again.
It is very hard for us to second guess what might be causing your falls, as if it's unrelated to the diabetes, it could be one of many things causing it to happen. Best, as others, have suggested,you get yourself checked out ASAP, with a medical person that can diagnose the cause of your falls properly, especially as you risk falling on really hard floors.Please don't leave it and do let us know how you get on.
Sending you a big virtual hug.
Chocoholic.

sandymaynard

Hi Donna
I think that you are being very brave! and well done on your for decideing to get rid of youe husband! Diabetties cannot be faked, blood tests prove that fact! shame on him!
i hope that later on in life he gets pain like what you are suffering, and i hope that he falls over and no one picks him up!
I know how you feel about your eye's, i have very poor eyesight as i only found out how bad on tuesday! I have also found out that i have the start of glaucoma, so going through more tests!
The main thing is that you keep yourself together! Forget him he is not worth your breath and don't cry for him! as that would be a crime to waste good tear's!
I just hope that you are okay in yourself, my ex used to make me feel so down about myself,i was so depressed about it all! but here i am now 6 years on with a loving fiancee!
You sound like a really nice person! Main thing is just remember as my gran used to say, what goes around comes around, just sit back and wait then he will get the bad treatment he gives you will come back and bite him hard i hope!
I know that at times i feel so alone, but i know that i canpick up my laptop with it being transformed by fiancee so that i can see and use it!
All you need to remeber that no matter what time of day or night there is always someone here to talk to!
I have found great strenth on here since feeling my life was falling apart! I know that i am so lucky to have my fiancee in my life! There is someone better out there for you!

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Hi Donna, well done for making the decision to get rid of your "partner" - he doesn't deserve to be called that after how he's made you feel. I'm a single mum with an autistic teenager and my ex dumped me as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I've always been careful to not badmouth him to my son, but after meeting his dad and little half sister a few years ago (and his dad running off again afterwards) he came to the same conclusion as me and now feels we're both much better off without him. My boy has done me so proud over the years, especially last year when my dad died suddenly after an accident. He only started a drama course at our local theatre 2 days before my dad had his accident but he was determined to carry on in his memory and even did his own reading at dad's funeral. He has now surpassed all our expectations and is one of the most popular kids in his class. Someone as eloquent and clearly intelligent as you deserves a partner who fulfils every sense of the word and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. I wish you all the best,

Bubsy

C

catherinecherub

Hi Donna,
Glad to hear you are getting your head around all that needs to be sorted out in your life.
We don't have to be on our own to feel alone as you have demonstrated. There are thousands of women in your situation and they fear change. Changing your situation can only bring benefits for you.
Hope you get your problems sorted out soon and please come back to the forum for support.
Thinking of you, take care.
Catherine.

Musicmaker

Hi Folks,

I am the 'heartless, uncaring' husband of Donna. This is a Diabetes Forum - not a Marriage Guidance Council, or a Forum for battered and abused wives to seek sympathy !!

You all seem to be intelligent and caring folk, but you should surely know that there are two sides to every story. Unlike Donna, I feel that this is not the place to air problems other than Diabetes or to involve others, not in possession of FACTS or even to make comments on a one sided tale.

If anyone would like to hear my side, please PM me, and I will respond by PM, I certainly don't want to hang out my 'dirty washing' in public, or seek sympathy from strangers unaware of the many aspects as Donna seems to want to do.

I am glad I have discovered here that she intends to divorce me in 2 years time - of course, this will be after I have sponsored her application to the Home Office for 'Permanent Residency' in UK, and paid over £1,000 for it, from my meagre state pension, on which we both live. (I am 72).

Dream on, Donna !!

John

ebobeye

I wonder if anyone can advise me. My dad has diabetes but he does not have to have insulin injections. He still drinks at least a couple of glasses of wine/night,and there is now way that i can stop him doing this. His mum, suffers from glaucoma. Does anyone know if there are any risks to eyes from diabetes?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
ebobeye said:
I wonder if anyone can advise me. My dad has diabetes but he does not have to have insulin injections. He still drinks at least a couple of glasses of wine/night,and there is now way that i can stop him doing this. His mum, suffers from glaucoma. Does anyone know if there are any risks to eyes from diabetes?

ebob

There is a very real risk of eyesight problems from Diabetes, especially if not well controlled. I am no expert but I am sure some one who can point you in the right direction for a more proper explanation will be along soon.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.